Multiplat AFL 23 - Part 2 with added Pro Team

Remove this Banner Ad

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There are about 2 new content items in all of those comments. The vast majority is just Ross repeating the same stuff about platform exclusives, JNT stating they can't give patch info, etc.

No info about what may be coming to management mode, or what gameplay updates are being worked on, or vague patch timelines. Just a lift and shift from Bigfooty to there essentially, thought with their own board they may try to formalise proactive comms a bit more but not to be.

I guess people aren't asking nicely enough šŸ¤·ā€ā™‚ļø

I feel like Nacon have stepped in with both the external testing of patches and the way BigAnt communicates with people.

A great result for consumers if BigAnt can get back to testing their games before release and Ross can tone it down a lot.
Nacon invested alot of money, they were always going to take the reigns as soon as they werent happy with how a game was regardless of what BS we are all fed on forums, thats fairly obvious from a business standpoint, they lose money if a game flops or isnt up to the high standard that they set (Nacon is no middle of the road company, people seem to forget that)

Not sure why anyone would want BA handling it solely themselves either when theyve clearly shown they aren't able to do it to a sufficent standard.

Nacon invested alot of money, they were always going to take the reigns as soon as they werent happy with how a game was regardless of what BS we are all fed on forums, thats fairly obvious from a business standpoint, they lose money if a game flops or isnt up to the high standard that they set (Nacon is no middle of the road company, people seem to forget that)

Not sure why anyone would want BA handling it solely themselves either when they've clearly shown they aren't able to do it to a sufficent standard.
I do agree on that. Does make me wonder what the likely outcome of things are going to be.

A. Nacon let Big Ant keep doing what they're doing with the AFL series and just provide backup development and support as the series goes on giving them more resources to work with.
B. Nacon let Big Ant do their plans for AFL 23 but take a bigger role in future games on what gets added and worked on.
C. Nacon let Big Ant do their plans for AFL 23 but drop the license and doesn't bother with future games.
or D. Nacon let go of what was planned, Get the game to a "playable" state and then dump it and future games.

I'd probably prefer "B" in this situation myself. Big Ant really overpromised and overhyped the game and that's really bitten them in the arse here. We know they can create good games but they kinda need to be reigned in I think. They're getting a little too ambitious with plans for games and that is hurting these games at launch.

What do you guys think? Have we got a future with these games? Is Nacon going to be interested in doing AFL games in the future? The chairman and CED did say they wanted to be "The World-Leading Producer of AA Sports Games", Whatever that means.

I think the games in the right hands. They desperately need a proper PR and marketing person though. Almost all drama in these threads was caused by absolutely terrible marketing and communication.

Last edited:
Was funny when reviews started to come in about a week or so after launch, and Ross and a few others were upset the reviews didn't specify which patch version they reviewing (as if that's a thing reviews do), and here we are over a month later and PS4, PS5, and PC are all on different patch versions, and the Xbox is still at least a month away šŸ¤¦ā€ā™‚ļø

History suggests so. Whenever there has been these updates, a patch always follows that same day.
That was 11 - 12 hours ago, if there is an additional changelist posting tonight, then a patch will be incoming which was the pattern for all previous patch releases.

Usually a few changelist would be generated before a patch is usually released.

Previously, when we had daily patches a few changelist would be generated after midday, one before 6pm aest and then another around 8:30 -9;30 pm and shortly after a patch would be released.

Recently, once daily patches stopped, one or two changelist would be generated per day, in the days leading up to a patch release and unless a changelist gets generated around after 8;30pm, donā€™t expect a patch to be released.

Last edited:
Really? How did you do that? Didn't someone recently say the right stick is for tackling?
Iā€™m on PS5, so still on patch v1.0.2911ā€¦ so this may be different on Steam right now, but I could bump the AI using the Right Stick, typically when they had just gathered the ball.

Iā€™ve seen the ball spill free, but typically I see an animation that the two players both stumble and take a moment to recover.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I played on steam tonight and there were some added animations by the look of things, especially around soccering and taping the ball along the ground.

What was streamed was the submission build. The submission build was well ahead of the Frankenstine build at the launch party.
That was? I recall that was criticized, too, and the excuse was that was a build just behind the release build. You can see movement issues in those final demos, too.

Last edited:
Just go to play now and use the right stick for the whole game. You'll see that it does bump and tackle occasionally, it's a weird animation most of the time when it does work.

As for jostling on the run, I spent an hour or so trying to do it with no such luck. Honestly, poor JNT was just having a guess I think.

Also we really need players to be on the goal line for every set shot. So many times the ball sneaks through at head height.

That was? I recall that was criticized, too, and the excuse was that was a build just behind the release build. You can see movement issues in those final demos, too.

Submission build doesn't = final demo build, IMO a final demo build would be further progressed than a submission build but without the final polish.

So yes there was still bound to be some movement issues in the submission build, and dare I say it would have likely been present in any other build presented up as some of those movement issues fixed were things fixed post getting the game patched back to what was meant to launch and based on live feedback, so some of those were brand new fixes / tweaks as such.

Was funny when reviews started to come in about a week or so after launch, and Ross and a few others were upset the reviews didn't specify which patch version they reviewing (as if that's a thing reviews do), and here we are over a month later and PS4, PS5, and PC are all on different patch versions, and the Xbox is still at least a month away šŸ¤¦ā€ā™‚ļø
With patches coming in every day at that point I should have just written: All of them

With patches coming in every day at that point I should have just written: All of them
Yeah like maybe next time BAS could actually release a finished game that doesnā€™t require a patch everyday. You were very patient. If a reviewer wants to review the released game on a Tuesday, or a Thursday, it shouldnā€™t make any difference. BAS had the problem, not you.

Yeah like maybe next time BAS could actually release a finished game that doesnā€™t require a patch everyday. You were very patient. If a reviewer wants to review the released game on a Tuesday, or a Thursday, it shouldnā€™t make any difference. BAS had the problem, not you.
Its ridiculous to have a sook about people reviewing a game, dont release a broken game in the first place and people wont be able to criticise it lmao, nobody is going to wait until you decide your game is up to scratch before reviewing it when theyve just spent 100 bucks on the product... failure to take accountability has always been a BA issue though, it's always someone elses fault.

I'll just post this video for now, but it's wild how the AI either takes over your controlled players running pattern and/or creates an invisible barrier making it unable to go directly to the direction the ball is heading in. Observe the player that should be running straight to the goal square but fails to do so!

I haven't played the game frequently in between patches, but at least in replays, some set shots for goal look like they spray off the boot animation-wise... yet still look perfectly kicked (ball in air doesn't deviate). I find that a bit weird at times as well.

Remove this Banner Ad

Multiplat AFL 23 - Part 2 with added Pro Team

Remove this Banner Ad

Back