Multiplat AFL 23 - Part 2: Pro Team, more like No Team

Remove this Banner Ad

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hi PT,

those discussions were definitely had when I was there, I put out a post or two outlining some reasons as to why the delay occurred, where it sat currently etc. Majority didn't want a bar of it, but for those who opted to listen, consider yourself better informed!

In short:
-They posted the road map with those key dates including the 28th of May for pro team.
-Between that being posted and May 28th they had implemented some improvements to the mode which triggered a new set of approvals to be done by platform holders.
-This approval is a lot more lengthy as it is micro transaction based and not just a run of the mill update
-I think we will see it soon (personal view)

Again, a handful will scoff at it, but for anyone open to context and wishing to understand why, there it is.

In terms of the communication part, this was something I flagged while there in terms of the frustration amongst the community, we all feel it.

I was strongly urging they consider releasing videos / footage in the build up to the release, if it's something they don't want to post themselves I have said I'm happy to post blind reaction videos to pack openings etc, but nothing has come from that yet, fingers crossed we see something soon.

The other part of the communication piece which I know we have gone over before in here, that when it comes to BA commenting on the hold ups of the platform holders, they simply aren't allowed to do it due to NDA.

Again there will be a party of people who will scoff at that, but for those who wish to be better informed, that's why.

I don't have much else that can be said currently, but I still stand by the offline modes in particular that I saw I think will be well received and the sooner we get a crack at this the better!
Can you talk about the gameplay improvements if any ?

Can you talk about the gameplay improvements if any ?

All that was mentioned is that there is a gameplay update patch coming too which would be seperate to pro Team.

On their form I think jnt mentioned these would undergo plenty of testing as part of

-This approval is a lot more lengthy as it is micro transaction based and not just a run of the mill update
So they want to charge people micro transactions for a buggy game, that's had modes scrapped (player career), barebones (management) and that's still full price 14 months after release. They can absolutely go **** themselves.

Have a look at the press release they put out for Rugy25.

Essentially they say due to licensing and scanning all these extra teams and players they have to delay the game and rename it Rugby25 not 24. They then are giving early release but state "it should be noted AI and player movement are in experimental phase and anomalies will occur"

I used to defend BA due to the cricket games being a favorite of mine but god they have turned into the biggest BS artists out there. Correct me if I am wrong but do 2K and EA release games for the paying customer to be a play tester? I know updates happen over time to fix small issues but the game play is pretty rock solid on release.

So they want to charge people micro transactions for a buggy game, that's had modes scrapped (player career), barebones (management) and that's still full price 14 months after release. They can absolutely go **** themselves.
Just don't buy packs..

Simples..

You don't need to buy packs to be able to play the mode, no different to 2k or EAFC.

Anyone who thinks otherwise is categorically wrong and just wants short term success instead of actually playing these modes properly.

Just don't buy packs..

Simples..

You don't need to buy packs to be able to play the mode, no different to 2k or EAFC.

Anyone who thinks otherwise is categorically wrong and just wants short term success instead of actually playing these modes properly.
So are these microtransactions going to be packs with a guarantee you get the players you want or will they be like loot boxes that players need to sink tons of money into just in the hope of getting the one player they want?
You should be arguing against micro transactions in games. Loot box style packs just encourage gambling and pay to win mentality.
Of course players can grind for hours and hours to finally unlock something they want in game but you know what society is like these days, they want instant gratification. And encouraging modes like this is just playing into the hands of these devs who just see $$$ signs instead of giving us high quality sports games we all want.
This mode has what, 3 months at most of shelf life before footy season is over and the player base moves onto something else?
So instead of working on the actual game and current modes they are desperate to get out a predatory mode for a few extra bucks in round 17 of the AFL season? Why can't they just throw the community a bone and actually talk to us about what's gone wrong with this game and trying to make amends? Delay Pro Team until the start of next season, or AFL25?
I can't and won't support this company with the direction and communication they've displayed for well over 12 months. And I'd be incredibly disappointed at anyone who will be pumping money into Pro Team.

Have a look at the press release they put out for Rugy25.

Essentially they say due to licensing and scanning all these extra teams and players they have to delay the game and rename it Rugby25 not 24. They then are giving early release but state "it should be noted AI and player movement are in experimental phase and anomalies will occur"

I used to defend BA due to the cricket games being a favorite of mine but god they have turned into the biggest BS artists out there. Correct me if I am wrong but do 2K and EA release games for the paying customer to be a play tester? I know updates happen over time to fix small issues but the game play is pretty rock solid on release.
Summed up: “Please forgive us, the gameplay is shit but the game looks nice”

This is the most ridiculous shit you will ever see in the gaming industry. Almost every other developer out there has enough common sense to realise gameplay is king. Even if they don’t always get it right, they don’t focus on face scans first, gameplay second (and after release at that)
BigAnt are so backwards it’s not even funny.
They don’t give a shit about the fans. As long as the game is pretty, right ?
At least they’ve basically summed up what happened to AFL23. Just in an unofficial manner explaining another game in development instead

This is the most ridiculous shit you will ever see in the gaming industry. Almost every other developer out there has enough common sense to realise gameplay is king. Even if they don’t always get it right, they don’t focus on face scans first, gameplay second (and after release at that)
BigAnt are so backwards it’s not even funny.
They don’t give a shit about the fans. As long as the game is pretty, right ?
At least they’ve basically summed up what happened to AFL23. Just in an unofficial manner explaining another game in development instead
The sad thing is the cricket games from Bradman to Ashes cricket were fantastic , they played so well. They started adding other licences in for 22 and 24 and the game went backwards, so many bugs that weren't present in previous iterations. It was clear more effort went into licenced players and tournaments rather than the core game play itself.

I can't see them releasing pro team this season, what is the point now the season is at the tail end. From memory Madden is August, NBA September and FC is October? That is 3 sports titles that are very popular especially with the micro transaction side of game modes. Would you be stupid enough to release the game in August/September when footy is almost done and competing with these other game modes? Just scrap it and release it next season?

I enjoy Michaels work and have nothing against what he says about the game and like I said I hope for his sake it turns out to be everything he expects.

So are these microtransactions going to be packs with a guarantee you get the players you want or will they be like loot boxes that players need to sink tons of money into just in the hope of getting the one player they want?
You should be arguing against micro transactions in games. Loot box style packs just encourage gambling and pay to win mentality.
Of course players can grind for hours and hours to finally unlock something they want in game but you know what society is like these days, they want instant gratification. And encouraging modes like this is just playing into the hands of these devs who just see $$$ signs instead of giving us high quality sports games we all want.
This mode has what, 3 months at most of shelf life before footy season is over and the player base moves onto something else?
So instead of working on the actual game and current modes they are desperate to get out a predatory mode for a few extra bucks in round 17 of the AFL season? Why can't they just throw the community a bone and actually talk to us about what's gone wrong with this game and trying to make amends? Delay Pro Team until the start of next season, or AFL25?
I can't and won't support this company with the direction and communication they've displayed for well over 12 months. And I'd be incredibly disappointed at anyone who will be pumping money into Pro Team.

You don't need to buy packs to get good cards.

Never have, never will.

Did not spend and extra cent in EA fc and was able to still get icon cards and special cards and this is no different.

Everyone has a choice.

You can still play the mode and get access to packs without buying.

So just don't do it if you feel that strongly

You also have no right to judge anyone who wishes to spend their own money their way.

You aren't some higher power.

If you don't like the game or want to support the game, why you still here for?

You also have no right to judge anyone who wishes to spend their own money their way.

You aren't some higher power.

If you don't like the game or want to support the game, why you still here for?
Sure, microtransactions have been great for sports games in general 🙄 come on mate, I know it might be how you make a living but to sit here and say ultimate/pro team game modes have been good for the genre is disingenuous. I'm not trying to be a higher power calling for it to be removed from existence but just pushing back.
I'm here because I've played games, specifically sports games for 20+ years, and I have a huge love for them. I am especially passionate about seeing a great AFL game released.
Sure everyone is welcome to not spend a cent on modes like these but to say it doesn't affect people with gambling addictions, or kids who aren't cognisant of this is wrong. We should be pushing them towards game modes like management etc, like we grew up on. Ultimate/Pro Team modes are a stain on a once great game genre.
As I said I won't support it but I can still have an opinion. Frankly you are starting to sound like a BigAnt shill. Ross 2.0

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You don't need to buy packs to get good cards.

Never have, never will.

Did not spend and extra cent in EA fc and was able to still get icon cards and special cards and this is no different.

Everyone has a choice.

You can still play the mode and get access to packs without buying.

So just don't do it if you feel that strongly
The interesting thing for me is about how they handled this game mode.
MyTeam/Ultimate Team etc has largely always been about online gameplay. In this case, I can’t ever see there being more than 10 players on at any one time aside from probably the first couple of days after release.
That being said, you’d hope a large amount of work went into the offline modes and making packs very accessible through this alone. If the focus has been on the online aspect with the offline modes having very little attention, it’ll be a complete flop imo.

Sure, microtransactions have been great for sports games in general 🙄 come on mate, I know it might be how you make a living but to sit here and say ultimate/pro team game modes have been good for the genre is disingenuous. I'm not trying to be a higher power calling for it to be removed from existence but just pushing back.
I'm here because I've played games, specifically sports games for 20+ years, and I have a huge love for them. I am especially passionate about seeing a great AFL game released.
Sure everyone is welcome to not spend a cent on modes like these but to say it doesn't affect people with gambling addictions, or kids who aren't cognisant of this is wrong. We should be pushing them towards game modes like management etc, like we grew up on. Ultimate/Pro Team modes are a stain on a once great game genre.
As I said I won't support it but I can still have an opinion. Frankly you are starting to sound like a BigAnt shill. Ross 2.0

Gaming is not how I make a living, so you don't know Jack all on that front, I play games for fun and stream for fun.

I've played sports games for 20+ years as well and you know what, things evolve. If you don't like the mode, don't play it.

Microtransactions are always a person's choice.

Gambling is always someone's choice.

Letting your kids buy packs is always someone's choice and they don't have to allow it.

People need to be better with their choices.

Blaming companies is an easy out, how about individuals take responsibility and ownership of their choices.

The interesting thing for me is about how they handled this game mode.
MyTeam/Ultimate Team etc has largely always been about online gameplay. In this case, I can’t ever see there being more than 10 players on at any one time aside from probably the first couple of days after release.
That being said, you’d hope a large amount of work went into the offline modes and making packs very accessible through this alone. If the focus has been on the online aspect with the offline modes having very little attention, it’ll be a complete flop imo.
Plenty of packs and objectives to unlock further packs in offline modes.

Its why I was so buoyed about those modes because it's the first time I'd seen very decent pack access to offline modes.

I feel this is a by product of their p2p online system not being as user friendly as a proper server for online gaming

Plenty of packs and objectives to unlock further packs in offline modes.

Its why I was so buoyed about those modes because it's the first time I'd seen very decent pack access to offline modes.

I feel this is a by product of their p2p online system not being as user friendly as a proper server for online gaming

It’s clear the platform holders have given up on releasing this update given the amount of **** ups little Ant have done during the release of this game. You have backed this company over and over pinky p but it’s coming to a time where it’s just beyond a joke. Keen for the lawsuit to be taken action on this scum buisness. An absolute fraud and keen for them to be taken down by the feds. We are in round 17 of 2024 and your still backing them mate. Enough is enough

Gaming is not how I make a living, so you don't know Jack all on that front, I play games for fun and stream for fun.

I've played sports games for 20+ years as well and you know what, things evolve. If you don't like the mode, don't play it.

Microtransactions are always a person's choice.

Gambling is always someone's choice.

Letting your kids buy packs is always someone's choice and they don't have to allow it.

People need to be better with their choices.

Blaming companies is an easy out, how about individuals take responsibility and ownership of their choices.
I don't know you at all.

I don't play those modes and never will, but I'll always speak out against them. If you want to be the champion of microtransaction modes, go for it.

People need to be given better options. When companies (EA and 2K are the biggest offenders) put all their resources into these modes and neglect the old modes, where do you think the player base ends up? It's predatory. And Big Ant will end up down that exact path.

I'll blame the companies because they know what they're doing, not the young kids or people who can't help themselves. If you want to support big companies with this kind of disposition it says more about you than anything.

It’s clear the platform holders have given up on releasing this update given the amount of **** ups little Ant have done during the release of this game. You have backed this company over and over pinky p but it’s coming to a time where it’s just beyond a joke. Keen for the lawsuit to be taken action on this scum buisness. An absolute fraud and keen for them to be taken down by the feds. We are in round 17 of 2024 and your still backing them mate. Enough is enough
Lol, no worries cobber 🤣

I don't know you at all.

I don't play those modes and never will, but I'll always speak out against them. If you want to be the champion of microtransaction modes, go for it.

People need to be given better options. When companies (EA and 2K are the biggest offenders) put all their resources into these modes and neglect the old modes, where do you think the player base ends up? It's predatory. And Big Ant will end up down that exact path.

I'll blame the companies because they know what they're doing, not the young kids or people who can't help themselves. If you want to support big companies with this kind of disposition it says more about you than anything.
Mate you are in absolutely zero position to judge me or anyone else with how we play video games.

Back off.

Can’t speak for how Pro Team will impact the pay-to-play angle but microtransactions has largely soured games like NBA 2K because its front and centre and encouraged to be purchased in virtually every mode. Not everyone also has time to sit down and grind out for packs in these games and if some choose to spend the money then obviously thats their choice. If the game actually improves and Pro Team is fun and they release Legend packs for say $5-10 with guaranteed club legends, then I can anticipate lots of people opting for that than the grind.

Can’t speak for how Pro Team will impact the pay-to-play angle but microtransactions has largely soured games like NBA 2K because its front and centre and encouraged to be purchased in virtually every mode. Not everyone also has time to sit down and grind out for packs in these games and if some choose to spend the money then obviously thats their choice. If the game actually improves and Pro Team is fun and they release Legend packs for say $5-10 with guaranteed club legends, then I can anticipate lots of people opting for that than the grind.

I'm hoping the legends packs are more to do with the season progress with the end rewards being the legends pack.

Putting them as a pack to purchase from the get go would be terrible.

And is this judgement in the room with us? You're obviously not comprehending what I'm saying and that's cool. Enjoy.
I am very much comprehending what you're saying, and you thinking your above the world in morals by casting judgement on everyone else is just mystifying to say the least.

But you keep doing you.

I'm hoping the legends packs are more to do with the season progress with the end rewards being the legends pack.

Putting them as a pack to purchase from the get go would be terrible.

Yeah fair call but if they don’t offer at least 1 Legend in say the 1st pack opening then thats pretty ordinary to me. Least they can do for some compensation for those that have waited all this time to try the mode.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back