Multiplat AFL 23 - Part 2 with added Pro Team

Remove this Banner Ad

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I had a hiatus from the game, so not entirely sure when the latest update was.

But aside from all the regular issues, has anyone else noticed:
1) when goal kicking the footy floats and almost helicopters around rather than the nice smooth drop punt we had in earlier versions? Even when timed perfectly.

2) when on the mark, using the left thumstick to radial select players now also causes your player to move, often resulting in a play on. Was never an issue before, but now it's bloody hard to select players when kicking.

The game not improving is one thing, but I don't understand how issues are further being introduced?

On SM-S901E using BigFooty.com mobile app
I've had good drop punts and floaty helicopters during set shots, but tbh I'm not sure what "perfectly timed" even is. Yes it should be obvious on the charge bars, but I've had shots go astray when perfectly hitting the right areas and shots go straight through the middle when being a little off, so I don't exactly know what the sweet spot is. That said, the variance hasn't bothered me too much. Feels realistic to Carlton :skull:

Last edited:
The sycophants like that Twisties bloke jumping on Twitter on launch day and telling everyone this isn't the version he played is bizarre too. What version did he play, or was he making it up? Imagine the amount of arse-kissing he must do given Ross just shuts down any (genuine) criticism about his product lol. 'Oh it's fantastic Ross!' as players are tackling each other through an interchange bench in the middle of the MCG.
To be fair, Twisties and Ross haven't always been on the best of terms. Twisties actually worked with WW on the Evo games, which was an actual and rather significant conflict of interest when it came to him covering their content, because it wasn't just on the level of Youtuber being nice to a dev to get access to a game, but rather a guy who worked with the developer (in some small capacity) also shilling that product. And I recall Ross was quite critical of his content and that fact.

But also Twisties is a "content creator" and influencer, so early and exclusive access to such content and information is vital for his survival. Therefore, I assume he and Ross buried the hatchet and he acquiesced to covering the game favourably.

I can understand not wanting to ask questions about patches as if expecting responses from the devs, as they've driven off into the sunset to their own forum, but surely discussing amongst ourselves and speculating on what future patches may contain is fine?

Personally I can't be bothered and I doubt many can but I am curious to see how it would pan out if someone (or a group of people) were hellbent on taking BA to account and spent the time required to actively pursue this. I wouldn't be surprised if there was action taken, I'll say that much.
If it had been done early on, I imagine action would have been taken. The game was crashing constantly, the AI didn't work at all and a lot of stuff was non-existent. It barely constituted as a video game or functioned as a product. I really think anyone who got it around launch should have been entitled to a no-questions-asked refund via whichever platform or store it was purchased.

Now, while it has improved, I guess you can look at the back of the box and look at the game and ask whether or not it's meeting what is advertised or promoted, and that too is probably what the ACC would look at as well. But there have always been video games out there that promise something and don't deliver it. Perhaps another consideration is how much work has been done to rectify the product to meet those standards, and while it still doesn't meet expectations or advertisement, it is now much closer to that.

Though all things considered, I don't think people have wanted to take Big Ant - real deal Aussie sports game developer - to task and put their feet to the coals, not least because that could mean no more AFL video games for a while, at least from this dev, and while AFL '23 has been a terrible experience, many still hold out that BA will get it right eventually while there is that residual glimmer from AFL Live.

It's a little bit sad, then, on Big Ant's part that they are in some ways taking advantage of AFL gaming fans. If this were a big studio putting out the type of game we're frequently exposed to, then I think people would be a lot more willing to demand refunds and their heads on sticks, but because there is a combination of a burning desire to finally get a good AFL video game with the fear that the seemingly competent dev might stop working on it, people are more forgiving, willing to accept extended patch/feature rollout time frames, excuses even after paying $100 on a defective product and waiting months for patches to arrive, not to give the game what was promoted beforehand and written on the box, but to make it function like a footy game.

If it had been done early on, I imagine action would have been taken. The game was crashing constantly, the AI didn't work at all and a lot of stuff was non-existent. It barely constituted as a video game or functioned as a product. I really think anyone who got it around launch should have been entitled to a no-questions-asked refund via whichever platform or store it was purchased.

Now, while it has improved, I guess you can look at the back of the box and look at the game and ask whether or not it's meeting what is advertised or promoted, and that too is probably what the ACC would look at as well. But there have always been video games out there that promise something and don't deliver it. Perhaps another consideration is how much work has been done to rectify the product to meet those standards, and while it still doesn't meet expectations or advertisement, it is now much closer to that.

Though all things considered, I don't think people have wanted to take Big Ant - real deal Aussie sports game developer - to task and put their feet to the coals, not least because that could mean no more AFL video games for a while, at least from this dev, and while AFL '23 has been a terrible experience, many still hold out that BA will get it right eventually while there is that residual glimmer from AFL Live.

It's a little bit sad, then, on Big Ant's part that they are in some ways taking advantage of AFL gaming fans. If this were a big studio putting out the type of game we're frequently exposed to, then I think people would be a lot more willing to demand refunds and their heads on sticks, but because there is a combination of a burning desire to finally get a good AFL video game with the fear that the seemingly competent dev might stop working on it, people are more forgiving, willing to accept extended patch/feature rollout time frames, excuses even after paying $100 on a defective product and waiting months for patches to arrive, not to give the game what was promoted beforehand and written on the box, but to make it function like a footy game.

If it was a big international game the reaction to the launch would have been identical to the reaction to Cyberpunk, because it launched in the same state. Pulled from storefronts, refunds issued, the works.

Worse actually cos Cyberpunk launched in an OK state on PC (got 8/10 on IGN from memory, vs 4/10 for console), while this was broken on all platforms, and missing entirely from one.

Still missing from one too šŸ˜¬

To be fair, Twisties and Ross haven't always been on the best of terms. Twisties actually worked with WW on the Evo games, which was an actual and rather significant conflict of interest when it came to him covering their content, because it wasn't just on the level of Youtuber being nice to a dev to get access to a game, but rather a guy who worked with the developer (in some small capacity) also shilling that product. And I recall Ross was quite critical of his content and that fact.

But also Twisties is a "content creator" and influencer, so early and exclusive access to such content and information is vital for his survival. Therefore, I assume he and Ross buried the hatchet and he acquiesced to covering the game favourably.

Didn't Mitch Robinson work on AFL 23?

Motion capture and the like?

And then gave the broken mess of a launch version an 8/10 or something equally ridiculous? šŸ¤£

Didn't Mitch Robinson work on AFL 23?

Motion capture and the like?

And then gave the broken mess of a launch version an 8/10 or something equally ridiculous? šŸ¤£
You could see the pain in his eyes when he gave that rating. I almost felt sorry for him.

Getting disingenuous now. It was less to do with specifics about any upcoming patch and just hanging poo about their patch process. It also says to take technical stuff to their board. You will get no more feedback from BAS here, so asking about patches is futile. And if you want a platform to vent then there are plenty of others for that.
The reddit and FB threads are inspired. They are like a MAFLGGA echo chamber.

If anyone can decipher that acronym you have my respect.

Dwwaino can I clarify - you can talk about the quality of the latest patch can't you?

Eg handballing is better / worse etc - surely this sort of talk not banned?

Sent from my SM-N986B using Tapatalk

Getting disingenuous now. It was less to do with specifics about any upcoming patch and just hanging poo about their patch process. It also says to take technical stuff to their board. You will get no more feedback from BAS here, so asking about patches is futile. And if you want a platform to vent then there are plenty of others for that.

Dwwaino can I clarify - you can talk about the quality of the latest patch can't you?

Yes, but you canā€™t post the same post twice.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hoping against hope for a massive 2.0 update when the Xbox version launches. All modes fully functional and live up to their name, and gameplay issues like handballing and the stuck in mud thing fixed.
JNT over on Bigant forums just asked someone regarding handballing if it was his user error that the handballs weren't going to the desired player or the right direction. Asked the poster if they were hitting the thumb stick the right way when handballing!

Honestly, there were heaps of posts on here that JNT would've seen that mentioned handballing issues.

The poster did ask "do you guys not play the game in the office at Bigant?"

JNT over on Bigant forums just asked someone regarding handballing if it was his user error that the handballs weren't going to the desired player or the right direction. Asked the poster if they were hitting the thumb stick the right way when handballing!

Honestly, there were heaps of posts on here that JNT would've seen that mentioned handballing issues.

Saw that, surprised it wasn't deleted.

Spat out my Chardonnay when I saw JNT's response.

Lolllll I expect my post to be deleted here but I mentioned the handball and ruck contest direction issues previously (both going the oppposite direction you want them to go AND restrictions like not able to do it diagonally) and it fell on deaf ears.

It's frustrating that you can have MORE ball control in the older titles!!

Lolllll I expect my post to be deleted here but I mentioned the handball and ruck contest direction issues previously (both going the oppposite direction you want them to go AND restrictions like not able to do it diagonally) and it fell on deaf ears.

It's frustrating that you can have MORE ball control in the older titles!!
I take some the positive responses on that forum with a grain of salt. Seems like the commenters may be the same person but with a few accounts to provide only positive info.

Just came here needed a brake but god big ant still no updated yet for ps5 I feel like this game is dead now they have had two months to fix this shit up

Its 100 bucks ill never get back and I envy everyone that read the signs and got a refund immediately.

Never buy a Big Ant game, lesson learnt and close this thread. Ross is a fraud.

My last bug submission was for a refund, no response and I'm contacting the ACCC, I suggest you all do the same.

Goes to show after all the " have you submitted a ticket" they really don't listen. I have submitted a ticket on the hanballing issue weeks ago and JNT's reply is like they are completely oblivious to the issue.

On SM-S901E using BigFooty.com mobile app

It wouldā€™ve helped tremendously if the much sought-out Training mode was actually available in the game from launch. Irrefutable industry data must suggest weā€™re all playing the wrong way and pressing the wrong buttons šŸ¤·šŸ»ā€ā™‚ļø yet these clowns dont want to clarify anything for us.

Remove this Banner Ad

Multiplat AFL 23 - Part 2 with added Pro Team

Remove this Banner Ad

Back