Multiplat AFL 23 - Part 2 with added Pro Team

Remove this Banner Ad

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hahaha ****s sakes, Wednesday is my usual day off and Iā€™ve gotta go in tomorrow, was already pissed that it could cost me a chance at Travis Scott tickets, now I gotta know this is gonna launch while Iā€™m at work šŸ˜”

So no legends in the ā€œfirst seasonā€ I would have thought much like NBA and FIFA the legend cards are one of the main reasons why people grind or pay to get them.

The advertisement of legends was one of the biggest drawing points with Pro Team on original advertisement for the game.

I just canā€™t see this being successful. For people that are going to do this mode as I understand it for the first two months your basically gaining cards from the current AFL lists with no incentives to get legends.

Realistically is a Max Gawn standard card going to be any different from the top tier? the game play as is is very basic and limited unlike NBA 2K where you see massive differences between skill levels and styles of different rated cardsā€¦

So no legends in the ā€œfirst seasonā€ I would have thought much like NBA and FIFA the legend cards are one of the main reasons why people grind or pay to get them.

The advertisement of legends was one of the biggest drawing points with Pro Team on original advertisement for the game.

I just canā€™t see this being successful. For people that are going to do this mode as I understand it for the first two months your basically gaining cards from the current AFL lists with no incentives to get legends.

Realistically is a Max Gawn standard card going to be any different from the top tier? the game play as is is very basic and limited unlike NBA 2K where you see massive differences between skill levels and styles of different rated cardsā€¦
I understand why theyā€™ve gone that route with legends. Theyā€™re trying to follow FIFA and 2Kā€™s system.
Not that I agree with it because the time to win the fans back is right now. But I get it.

I made running speed 20 for both CPU and user, I've read that some made it 40 and the pressure is gone, too. And I made tactical awareness high for the CPU, and I still had no pressure.

The power meter doesn't work right, too, when it's made to release fast, because if say you press A for 1 second, the ball barely gets kicked like 5 metres, but if you hold it for 1 second and a half it goes flying 80 metres.
I tried the meter settings last night. The meter fills quickly and does long kicksā€¦ but I think it depends on where your players are up the ground, as it still auto-targets them a bitā€¦
But it still chooses between short/medium/long optionsā€¦ maybe just a bit too strong locking onto them

I agree with you here. Legends has been whats drawn most of our interest in this mode and to not be able to start with minimum a single one of them is a bit disappointing.

Also if the game doesn't release with a patch which can somehow now differentiate regular players from star players then it wont last too long, every player still feels the same when controlling them.

I tried the meter settings last night. The meter fills quickly and does long kicksā€¦ but I think it depends on where your players are up the ground, as it still auto-targets them a bitā€¦
But it still chooses between short/medium/long optionsā€¦ maybe just a bit too strong locking onto them

One of my biggest gripes. Should have 2 different buttons if you are going to do that, one that is like the short pass in Fifa that locks on, then the other that goes exactly where you power and aim. Sometimes you want to kick to advantage or to space and the game doesn't let you do that.

One of my biggest gripes. Should have 2 different buttons if you are going to do that, one that is like the short pass in Fifa that locks on, then the other that goes exactly where you power and aim. Sometimes you want to kick to advantage or to space and the game doesn't let you do that.
Yep 100%. I actually really love the quick kick mechanism that auto targets your targeted player. It just picks the absolute worst times to decide not to and to instead kick a 5m dribble. Separate buttons would probably work.

I agree for the most part, but thereā€™s a little bit of nuance to this I think. Weā€™ve got to remember this mode is in its infancy and you canā€™t come right out the box with a shit ton of ambitious card types and promos.
EA brought out Ultimate team in FIFA09 and just had regular gold, silver and bronze cards, FIFA10 was the first with a distinction between rare and non-rare cards, FIFA11 introduced in forms (TOTW) and FIFA12 started the real path to where we are today when they introduced TOTY, MOTM and International MOTM. Thatā€™s a span of 4 yearly releases before even thinking about adding Icons (which were Xbox and PC exclusive until FIFA17).
I know the consumer doesnā€™t care about the progress towards getting there, and since weā€™re in 2024 theyā€™re not going to compare this to FIFA09 ultimate team, theyā€™re comparing it to modern day ultimate team. And yes, BA might have shot themselves in the foot (again) when they announced legends prior to the game even being delayed the first time and now these legends arenā€™t in possibly the most important game mode for some a year later. But Iā€™m gonna look at it in an understanding way because I think going too hard at it in the first release just wouldnā€™t be practical.
As for whether the appeal of the other games comes from the icons, Iā€™m not so sure. I have to assume that in ultimate team and myteam the exciting factor for players is all the promotional cards, regardless of them being current or past players. Hopefully we can see a TOTW and All Australian type situation so that thereā€™s something to chase but legends I am less worried about personally.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I agree for the most part, but thereā€™s a little bit of nuance to this I think. Weā€™ve got to remember this mode is in its infancy and you canā€™t come right out the box with a shit ton of ambitious card types and promos.
EA brought out Ultimate team in FIFA09 and just had regular gold, silver and bronze cards, FIFA10 was the first with a distinction between rare and non-rare cards, FIFA11 introduced in forms (TOTW) and FIFA12 started the real path to where we are today when they introduced TOTY, MOTM and International MOTM. Thatā€™s a span of 4 yearly releases before even thinking about adding Icons (which were Xbox and PC exclusive until FIFA17).
I know the consumer doesnā€™t care about the progress towards getting there, and since weā€™re in 2024 theyā€™re not going to compare this to FIFA09 ultimate team, theyā€™re comparing it to modern day ultimate team. And yes, BA might have shot themselves in the foot (again) when they announced legends prior to the game even being delayed the first time and now these legends arenā€™t in possibly the most important game mode for some a year later. But Iā€™m gonna look at it in an understanding way because I think going too hard at it in the first release just wouldnā€™t be practical.
As for whether the appeal of the other games comes from the icons, Iā€™m not so sure. I have to assume that in ultimate team and myteam the exciting factor for players is all the promotional cards, regardless of them being current or past players. Hopefully we can see a TOTW and All Australian type situation so that thereā€™s something to chase but legends I am less worried about personally.
Given the lack of interest in this game I would have thought Legends were a must to try and draw people in. It is all well and good to have this mode but how many people are going to play? Are people even going to have a chance to play against other people if there are barely any players it would be hard to get a match making most of the modes void or very boring. I couldn't think of anything worse than waiting 15 mins to find a match.

Given the lack of interest in this game I would have thought Legends were a must to try and draw people in. It is all well and good to have this mode but how many people are going to play? Are people even going to have a chance to play against other people if there are barely any players it would be hard to get a match making most of the modes void or very boring. I couldn't think of anything worse than waiting 15 mins to find a match.
Yeah I am not going to bother reinstalling only to play for a bit. But keen to hear how people find it. I just don't think it has the same appeal as other sporting games with how many players on the field etc. Neve mind the diabolical rollout.

For me, the most important part is the next gameplay update. Iā€™m happy to play ProTeam offline if the gameplay gets better. Michaelā€™s mentioned theyā€™re working on a new mechanic thatā€™ll change a certain part of the game. Iā€™m hoping thatā€™s the contested play and if it is, then I can wait for legends personally

what's the patch notes, any gameplay changes
Don't believe so - I asked and it's just Pro Team and a new stadium in this one.

Gave it a go whilst stuck on hold for a phone call (thank you ATO for having ridiculous wait times).

Only played a coach battle match, 2.5 mins on hard against GWS, and really enjoyed it. Lost the match, swearing angrily at Goldstein for spilling a sitter 30m out from goal with about 20 seconds left. Much easier to throw hate at my squad players when they aren't wearing brown and gold.

Gameplay feels harder - tackles and marking needed much better timing which I personally liked because it made it more challenging. Haven't and probably won't play online though, so can't vouch for that experience.

Card packs and squad builder are fairly meh - I chose Day, Newcombe, Jiath and Rosas as my anchors and got the below players . Can see a few people will most likely be trying day 1 to buy packs to build a better squad, better geurnseys etc.

Not a bad addition to the game so far. Worth giving a crack

1721781238098.png

Gave it a go whilst stuck on hold for a phone call (thank you ATO for having ridiculous wait times).

Only played a coach battle match, 2.5 mins on hard against GWS, and really enjoyed it. Lost the match, swearing angrily at Goldstein for spilling a sitter 30m out from goal with about 20 seconds left. Much easier to throw hate at my squad players when they aren't wearing brown and gold.

Gameplay feels harder - tackles and marking needed much better timing which I personally liked because it made it more challenging. Haven't and probably won't play online though, so can't vouch for that experience.

Card packs and squad builder are fairly meh - I chose Day, Newcombe, Jiath and Rosas as my anchors and got the below players . Can see a few people will most likely be trying day 1 to buy packs to build a better squad, better geurnseys etc.

Not a bad addition to the game so far. Worth giving a crack

View attachment 2057251
what are the blue coins in the top right? do you earn them from playing? can you buy packs with them?

I noticed this too. I reckon it's because my early team has a lot of Bronze, crappy players.... so they struggle against full AFL squads.

Remove this Banner Ad

Multiplat AFL 23 - Part 2 with added Pro Team

Remove this Banner Ad

Back