Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
WHEN CAN I PLAY? READ BELOW:
  • PlayStation (Physical): Thursday 4 May
  • PlayStation (Digital): 8:01am AEST Thursday 4 May
  • Steam: Currently 8:01am AEST Thursday 4 May, may be moved to 12:01am AEST
  • Xbox (Digital or Physical): TO BE CONFIRMED, unlikely to be 4 May

Those that pre-ordered PS versions will be able to play on Thursday, disks will have already been mailed by retailers, they will also be available in-store.

Steam will also be available Thursday.

Stating the obvious, we are still having issues with XBox.

Seriously, anyone that looks hard knows there’s issues - why do you think there are so many exclusives for a particular platform that are not marked as exclusive, but are only on that platform.

If I took that road, life would have been a lot easier.

Xbox digital and retail will release at the same time - that is not a decision we get to make.

It applies now and I will no doubt pay a price.

Re: commentary team
Hamish is still there, Daisy didn't make it into the final version of the game.

We added Gary and increased the workload of Harf.

Re: game availability/release dates
I can never give 100% guarantee about anything in the future, but as it stands today, the statement I am prepared to make it that all stock that is at retailers on 4 May will be available for sale.

As to the amount that will be there for sale, and whether it is enough, that is a question I cannot answer.

It will be made digitally available on the various platform holder electronic stores.

Clarifying, the game will not release prior to 4 May 2023.

I am vague as there is one platform that has had sufficient stock at retailers and the other has not, and I cannot name them (contractual reasons).

The game will not be further delayed because of the numbers of units in stock.

Re: Steam listing
I've already put in a request for the screenshots to be replaced with current ones, they'll probably only be there for a day.

As much as the feedback has generally been positive, these are old, meant to be placeholder only and were not meant to go live.

Re: playing lists
All playing lists are accurate for the 2023 season.

Re: content creator footage
This is all prior to day one patch (as some have noted updates like numbers etc are apparent)

Re: Career mode
A head's up on Career mode.

At the AFL 23 Launch night I mentioned the non-team based Individual Career Mode in an interview with Dean (Twistie3). As alluded to at that same event, we were working with the AFL and AFLPA to include as many past legends in the game as possible.

The great news is that we have received approval for far more AFL legends than were previously envisaged, but this has meant that we had to make the tough decision to divert resources away from the Individual Career mode development. The individual Career Mode function will not make it into AFL 23, Career Mode will be entirely team based. I expect this mode to be include in future iterations of the game.

Re: microtransactions
You do not have to make purchases, things can be earned.

Re: general development
So fundamentally flawed, in so many ways, it’s bananas.

We are doing AFL as it’s a passion project, without us doing it there would not be one being made.

So much more upside with making games that are played internationally, let alone one that will not even be played in every state in this country.

Last edited:
AFL 2007 was what first got me interested in sports design. As a 4 year old at the time I was absolutely garbage at the game but loved picking the most interesting uniforms for the teams and seeing them in action. To say it set me on my current path in life wouldn't be too far from the truth. So big shoutout to Mero and IR Gurus for that one.
Great news!

What are you doing now?

Question to anyone who has read this far - is there a way to still play Live 1 on PC? How do you get around GFWL being shut down? Thanks.
There is a way around it the GFWL thing, I'll try and find it. I assume it's not breaking any rules as you still need the AFL disc to play it, ie. doesn't support piracy.

Not 100% sure on the Big Footy policies around this but thought I'd put it out there that we are looking for programmers and artists that love footy, and sport in general. If you'd like to join us here in Southbank, please drop a line to careers@bigant.com

All enquiries will be held in the strictest confidence.

Not 100% sure on the Big Footy policies around this but thought I'd put it out there that we are looking for programmers and artists that love footy, and sport in general. If you'd like to join us here in Southbank, please drop a line to careers@bigant.com

The dream :fire:

I don't think it's an issue as you're relevant to the topic anyway and it's not selling a product.

PS: I can write Hello World in a few different languages, can make a ball roll in Unity and once added long hair that could react to physics to the UE mannequin. /Flex

Can I ask if the game isn't coming out till next year how come your face scanning players this year? I know nothing about gaming so I'm just wondering can you not just use base models for gameplay and testing and then scan the players in last so There appearances are up to date at release instead of being a year old?

Still in disbelief that Big Ant have AFL back! Can't wait for the next 12 or so months and hopefully like last time there will be some development updates and some exclusive content!

Would love for Big Ant to have a testing day at the office like they did with RLL3, thought that was a great day! Moving back to Melbourne mid this year so hopefully something like that goes ahead or the EB Games days!
This will sound odd, but I had literal dreams about Big Ant coming out with another footy game, years back. Been waiting for 9 years.

Not for me to say but most co's have some type of remote working these days.

Really difficult for video games, it's a very collaborative effort - you can see from the many delays in the industry that it's really hard yards.

I mean literally dreaming of gameplay, it feels a bit unreal finally you're back at it again. I was always disappointed reading you say, "No, we're not working on AFL, the budget sheet alternative guys are." Had to supplement playing AFL Live 1 with PES, because I couldn't bare those budget sheet AFL games. :laughv1:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Oh my goodness, if I could go from the 4 year old obsessing over the jumpers in AFL 2007 to the 19 year old doing art and design stuff in the yet to be named AFL game I might just cry!

Great news!

What are you doing now?
So far not a whole lot of note, but that game was the first spark that led to me joining BigFooty for the footy jumpers and graphic design board and through the skills the community there helped me learn I’ve gone from zero art and design skill to being really good at it. BigFooty also helped me discover my love of writing about football and now after just about finishing my uni course it’s looking like 2022 will be the year I actually get my foot in the door in the industry. In a weird indirect way I’m not sure how much of that I’d have done without AFL 2007 being the first step and what I’d be doing now. I’d absolutely love it if this game gives the next generation of kids and young teenagers their spark to find their passion as well.

Random question but if BigAntStudios wont deliver a game this year is there any chance of a season update pack for this year from Wicked Witch?

BigAntStudios it would be awesome if when playing on grand final day we could we players get the medals, and the jumpers have the grand final patch, just little things like that to make it feel like you’re playing an grand final game instead of just a regular game
Exactly! Little things like bigger celebrations, louder crowds. Make it feel like you earnt the win on Grand Final day.

Exactly! Little things like bigger celebrations, louder crowds. Make it feel like you earnt the win on Grand Final day.
This.
I want to hear/feel the difference between playing Essendon Vs Carlton on GF day compared to Essendon vs North in the regular season

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back