Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
WHEN CAN I PLAY? READ BELOW:
  • PlayStation (Physical): Thursday 4 May
  • PlayStation (Digital): 8:01am AEST Thursday 4 May
  • Steam: Currently 8:01am AEST Thursday 4 May, may be moved to 12:01am AEST
  • Xbox (Digital or Physical): TO BE CONFIRMED, unlikely to be 4 May

Those that pre-ordered PS versions will be able to play on Thursday, disks will have already been mailed by retailers, they will also be available in-store.

Steam will also be available Thursday.

Stating the obvious, we are still having issues with XBox.

Seriously, anyone that looks hard knows there’s issues - why do you think there are so many exclusives for a particular platform that are not marked as exclusive, but are only on that platform.

If I took that road, life would have been a lot easier.

Xbox digital and retail will release at the same time - that is not a decision we get to make.

It applies now and I will no doubt pay a price.

Re: commentary team
Hamish is still there, Daisy didn't make it into the final version of the game.

We added Gary and increased the workload of Harf.

Re: game availability/release dates
I can never give 100% guarantee about anything in the future, but as it stands today, the statement I am prepared to make it that all stock that is at retailers on 4 May will be available for sale.

As to the amount that will be there for sale, and whether it is enough, that is a question I cannot answer.

It will be made digitally available on the various platform holder electronic stores.

Clarifying, the game will not release prior to 4 May 2023.

I am vague as there is one platform that has had sufficient stock at retailers and the other has not, and I cannot name them (contractual reasons).

The game will not be further delayed because of the numbers of units in stock.

Re: Steam listing
I've already put in a request for the screenshots to be replaced with current ones, they'll probably only be there for a day.

As much as the feedback has generally been positive, these are old, meant to be placeholder only and were not meant to go live.

Re: playing lists
All playing lists are accurate for the 2023 season.

Re: content creator footage
This is all prior to day one patch (as some have noted updates like numbers etc are apparent)

Re: Career mode
A head's up on Career mode.

At the AFL 23 Launch night I mentioned the non-team based Individual Career Mode in an interview with Dean (Twistie3). As alluded to at that same event, we were working with the AFL and AFLPA to include as many past legends in the game as possible.

The great news is that we have received approval for far more AFL legends than were previously envisaged, but this has meant that we had to make the tough decision to divert resources away from the Individual Career mode development. The individual Career Mode function will not make it into AFL 23, Career Mode will be entirely team based. I expect this mode to be include in future iterations of the game.

Re: microtransactions
You do not have to make purchases, things can be earned.

Re: general development
So fundamentally flawed, in so many ways, it’s bananas.

We are doing AFL as it’s a passion project, without us doing it there would not be one being made.

So much more upside with making games that are played internationally, let alone one that will not even be played in every state in this country.

Last edited:
Everyone is assuming the "Ultimate Team" will be like FIFA or 2k with microtransactions. I would much prefer if it was like Cricket 22's Big XI.
Agreed, but Ross emphasised microtransactions in the video.

Interesting timing given they're increasingly seen as a horrendous gambling for children mechanic being challenged in the courts around the world. But, like a lot of things with this game, we have no idea how it's going to be actually implemented yet.

I can speak on Rozee having watched him last year, 88 AFLCA votes which was 10 behind the winners and put him in 5th, 2 votes ahead of Brownlow medallist Cripps and barring the first 4 games of last year I think he might have had the most votes from there on out (coinciding with a move to the midfield in round 5). Your list of 90 rated players isn't considering the fact that that's simply not the scale upon which the overalls are chosen. There's state leagues to consider and having such a small list of 90+ players means the gap between the AFL and state leagues won't be as big as it should. We also can't see the full list of 89 rated players and it isn't far fetched to assume Dusty would be there or pretty close at least. Even still, we're only looking at an overall and haven't had a chance to look at every stat for these players so be patient!
if you look at fifa they have tons small leagues to consider and still only have a handful of 90+s

Players still need room to grow in career mode as well so having a ton of 99s after 3 seasons isnt going to be as special

AFL league players should be around 75+ on average

State leagues youd put around 65 or something on average, thats a pretty big gap already

and anyways i can only comment what we have been given, seems like any criticism towards this game is being cried away by fanboys. You do know some criticism is good right?

My guess is that modes like the player career haven't been announced yet because there's a chance they're not ready at launch.

If that's the case I'm totally cool with that. Would rather they ensure the game is in a playable state at launch and add these things via update later. A lot of game companies are doing this now.
I would disagree. Yes game modes like UT aren't ready at launch which is understandable and acceptable, but for a player career not to be ready at launch is laughable imo. If a basic career mode is not ready then the game should not be launching until it is. The bare minimum for any sports game nowadays is having a career mode ready to go at launch.

There has to be some other reason why it hasn't been formally announced. Ross said they don't expect as many people to be playing it compared to management mode but this still isn't a reason to not announce it's a feature

Last edited:
Agreed, but Ross emphasised microtransactions in the video.

Interesting timing given they're increasingly seen as a horrendous gambling for children mechanic being challenged in the courts around the world. But, like a lot of things with this game, we have no idea how it's going to be actually implemented yet.
just on this, even with FIFA and NBA, you don't have to purchase anything in order to play the Ultimate Team modes. It is fully optional and nothing is forced.

I built a pretty decent FIFA team without spending a extra cent just by playing to get packs, using their SBC card trading and so on.

Simple answer is don't give kids access to parents credit cards!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It doesn't matter how often we say it's not the final build, it's not from the submitted branch, the stats are not real (I posted the real ones from last October to try to overcome that), the responses are like listing to guys in the outer with NFI yelling "just kick it".

But yeah, I could probably make better use of the ignore button and answer the genuine questions.
Respectfully - this is the reality of sports media in Australia. It is cutthroat and you've seen it rear its ugly head again with various pages jumping on the player ratings/clunkiness/other criticisms and advertising them as fact - because they don't have anything else to go off of. Most people don't have the benefit of seeing your posts here - so how would they know that all of the ratings/criticisms being written about are from a dev build?

While I see your point about limiting the information that's available, waiting until close to release to get media coverage etc... the longer you wait the less control you have over the narrative and the more this kind of misinformation is going to spread. It just seems really risky to me to be a few weeks from release and the only thing anybody has seen is a 6+ month old dev kit and articles about the old build.

I wonder if this thing about the ratings changing as rounds pass will affect "Ultimate team", bit like how you'd switch up your players in supercoach
This is the 2K player in me talking but I'd love for them to go down the path of moments cards. Say back when Ben Ronke kicked 7 goals that one time, we then get a 90 something Ben Ronke added to the game. Or more recently we would get say an upgraded Harry Sheezel after his historic performance. I guess the FIFA equivalent would be TOTW cards.

It's never that simple otherwise it wouldn't be an issue. Add all the others to that, vaping in schools and what have you, addictions in general, it's not as simple as "you dumb parents".

You can always not save credit card payment details on the digital shop, lock payments behind a alt authentication method or have parental controls to auth on the digital shop.

Schools these days should be able to have vape detectors in bathrooms and cctv footage toward the entrances.

Just saying. Sometimes parents do get off a bit free.

I'm just glad Big Ant seem to be super invested in this game.. Not just a one-pump release and go silent.
Sounds like they have major plans post-release.

Respectfully - this is the reality of sports media in Australia. It is cutthroat and you've seen it rear its ugly head again with various pages jumping on the player ratings/clunkiness/other criticisms and advertising them as fact - because they don't have anything else to go off of. Most people don't have the benefit of seeing your posts here - so how would they know that all of the ratings/criticisms being written about are from a dev build?

While I see your point about limiting the information that's available, waiting until close to release to get media coverage etc... the longer you wait the less control you have over the narrative and the more this kind of misinformation is going to spread. It just seems really risky to me to be a few weeks from release and the only thing anybody has seen is a 6+ month old dev kit and articles about the old build.
Should add that I'm not trying to tell you what to do - I know nothing about marketing, or about the game, or about anything the AFL has imposed on you. I'm just riffing because I think it's an interesting point of discussion. I think lamenting the way sports/game/social media is at the moment is totally justified but I also think the radio silence until very close to release is giving them a lot to sink their claws into.

Having to explain to people not in this thread that what they saw at the event was not the final game and the ratings Fox footy keep posting aren’t final will land me in an insane asylum.

Had to make the following graphic for easier comprehension:View attachment 1637607

This graphic should really be stickied.

Completely agree

Having to explain to people not in this thread that what they saw at the event was not the final game and the ratings Fox footy keep posting aren’t final will land me in an insane asylum.

Had to make the following graphic for easier comprehension:View attachment 1637607
This is not the greatest player rankings in the world, this is just a tribute.

You can always not save credit card payment details on the digital shop, lock payments behind a alt authentication method or have parental controls to auth on the digital shop.

Schools these days should be able to have vape detectors in bathrooms and cctv footage toward the entrances.

Just saying. Sometimes parents do get off a bit free.

I personally think any game with gambling-like mechanics shouldn't be rated G. If a parent has to impose parental controls etc to lock out part of the game because it's inappropriate for a child, then the game itself should be rated for an adult audience.

It's not just children either, I'm firmly in the addiction is an illness camp and it's far more complicated than its being portrayed.

I personally think any game with gambling-like mechanics shouldn't be rated G. If a parent has to impose parental controls etc to lock out part of the game because it's inappropriate for a child, then the game itself should be rated for an adult audience.

It's not just children either, I'm firmly in the addiction is an illness camp and it's far more complicated than its being portrayed.
the-simpsons-fox-censor.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back