Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
WHEN CAN I PLAY? READ BELOW:
  • PlayStation (Physical): Thursday 4 May
  • PlayStation (Digital): 8:01am AEST Thursday 4 May
  • Steam: Currently 8:01am AEST Thursday 4 May, may be moved to 12:01am AEST
  • Xbox (Digital or Physical): TO BE CONFIRMED, unlikely to be 4 May

Those that pre-ordered PS versions will be able to play on Thursday, disks will have already been mailed by retailers, they will also be available in-store.

Steam will also be available Thursday.

Stating the obvious, we are still having issues with XBox.

Seriously, anyone that looks hard knows there’s issues - why do you think there are so many exclusives for a particular platform that are not marked as exclusive, but are only on that platform.

If I took that road, life would have been a lot easier.

Xbox digital and retail will release at the same time - that is not a decision we get to make.

It applies now and I will no doubt pay a price.

Re: commentary team
Hamish is still there, Daisy didn't make it into the final version of the game.

We added Gary and increased the workload of Harf.

Re: game availability/release dates
I can never give 100% guarantee about anything in the future, but as it stands today, the statement I am prepared to make it that all stock that is at retailers on 4 May will be available for sale.

As to the amount that will be there for sale, and whether it is enough, that is a question I cannot answer.

It will be made digitally available on the various platform holder electronic stores.

Clarifying, the game will not release prior to 4 May 2023.

I am vague as there is one platform that has had sufficient stock at retailers and the other has not, and I cannot name them (contractual reasons).

The game will not be further delayed because of the numbers of units in stock.

Re: Steam listing
I've already put in a request for the screenshots to be replaced with current ones, they'll probably only be there for a day.

As much as the feedback has generally been positive, these are old, meant to be placeholder only and were not meant to go live.

Re: playing lists
All playing lists are accurate for the 2023 season.

Re: content creator footage
This is all prior to day one patch (as some have noted updates like numbers etc are apparent)

Re: Career mode
A head's up on Career mode.

At the AFL 23 Launch night I mentioned the non-team based Individual Career Mode in an interview with Dean (Twistie3). As alluded to at that same event, we were working with the AFL and AFLPA to include as many past legends in the game as possible.

The great news is that we have received approval for far more AFL legends than were previously envisaged, but this has meant that we had to make the tough decision to divert resources away from the Individual Career mode development. The individual Career Mode function will not make it into AFL 23, Career Mode will be entirely team based. I expect this mode to be include in future iterations of the game.

Re: microtransactions
You do not have to make purchases, things can be earned.

Re: general development
So fundamentally flawed, in so many ways, it’s bananas.

We are doing AFL as it’s a passion project, without us doing it there would not be one being made.

So much more upside with making games that are played internationally, let alone one that will not even be played in every state in this country.

Last edited:

Seems like it, imagine being a u18 and getting a photogrammetry scan for a video game, in any other game you would be given a generic looking face.
No there’s 750 in the AFL mens alone and 600 in the womens. That equates to the full total over 1200. Again quoting Ross, every AFL and AFLW player will have photo captured likeness. Therefore there couldn’t be u18s in that total mentioned on the back cover. As legends are a recent development, you’d imagine that would be extra on top of what’s stated on the cover

Last edited:
Seems like it, imagine being a u18 and getting a photogrammetry scan for a video game, in any other game you would be given a generic looking face.
Maybe under U18s? Definitely not VFL,WAFL,SANFL.

If you add just AFL, VFL, WAFL & SANFL players there's roughly 2592 players.

View attachment 1664948
All this talk about delays is just gotten a bit out of hand………oh hey look someone posted this in a Facebook messenger group. Obviously it’s the back of a ps4/5 version of the game………..one thing I noticed was the 52gb minimum…….does anyone know if that is similar to other sports games like fifa or madden?

One other thing I saw was ‘no offline mode’ interesting…
I downloaded MLB the show, ps5 edition yesterday, and it was a pretty similar size

View attachment 1664948
All this talk about delays is just gotten a bit out of hand………oh hey look someone posted this in a Facebook messenger group. Obviously it’s the back of a ps4/5 version of the game………..one thing I noticed was the 52gb minimum…….does anyone know if that is similar to other sports games like fifa or madden?

One other thing I saw was ‘no offline mode’ interesting…
Hahaha, this is my picture I got sent by mate at JB over a week ago. I only sent it to one other person. Cheeky little bugger.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I downloaded MLB the show, ps5 edition yesterday, and it was a pretty similar size
If it’s 53gb on the box I guess maybe it will be bigger after the day one patch? I’ve never really paid attention to games like fifa and other sports titles but afl 23 has got me intrigued. How is mlb the show anyways? Looking forward to getting it and getting in some SHO-TIME.

I was nearly going to post it here when I got it but wasn't sure if I should.
It was bound to end up here and honestly this forum needed something. I had this forum up on my work computer the whole day and the talk of delays and all that jazz was like wtf…..why did I even bother.

If it’s 53gb on the box I guess maybe it will be bigger after the day one patch? I’ve never really paid attention to games like fifa and other sports titles but afl 23 has got me intrigued. How is mlb the show anyways? Looking forward to getting it and getting in some SHO-TIME.
Seems quality. Visually amazing. Enjoying the road to the show career mode. Haven't played the series since 18.

Definitely feeding my sports game fix until AFL 23 drops

Pin please
FAQs about AFL23:

What was the original release date for AFL23?

13th of April

What is the current release date for AFL23?

4th of May

Why did the release date get pushed back 3 weeks?

Games for the Xbox platform were yet to be cleared through customs on the 6th of April- 1 week before the original release date. As it is a requirement for JB and EB stock to arrive in stores one week before release, Big Ant had no choice but to push back the release date. PlayStation games were in stock in time.

Why couldn’t Big Ant just sell the game digitally and on PS platform, from the original release date?

Fairness and equity. It is a requirement for games to be available for both platforms in store concurrently on release so sales are not effected in store or for a specific platform (in this case Xbox).

Surely there was an alternative way around this?

Unfortunately this is not the case without costing bigant financially, or risking the damage of relationships with JB, EB or Microsoft. So it is what it is.

Has the game cleared customs yet?

We do not know if games on Xbox have cleared customs, however Big ant have stated on this thread and on twitter that they will let us know when the copies have been cleared into Australia

Could this release date be pushed back again?
Yes it could, dependent on if the Xbox games have not cleared customs and/or EB and JB stores have not received stock in each state a minimum 1 week before release. So copies must be in stores by 27th of April to avoid further delays.

Could the release date be pushed forward?

Yes Ross has said it can be if stock is received by stores more than one week before 4th May, however this is looking less and less likely by the day.

What will be in the game?
Fully licensed AFL and AFLW competitions with all 18 clubs, all players photo captured and assigned with unique skills traits/attributes and ratings powered by Champion Data. There will also be official VFL, SANFL, WAFL and U18 competitions included however it has not been announced whether these players will be licensed or generic. There will be over 30 offical stadia from around the country.

There is claimed by Big ant to be an extensive list of features.
These include:
Play Now
Season mode
Deep Management Mode with tactics, draft, trade, free agency and official AFL coaches(likeness included).
Player Career
Star Team (Ultimate)
Academy Creation tools (stadium, guernsey, club, player)
Hall of Fame (past awards and premierships)

Commentators on the game will include:
Hamish McLaughlin
Jason Bennett
Kelli Underwood
Anthony Hudson
Daniel Harford
and Gary Lyon.
Unfortunately Daisy was cut from the team late in development.

How many gb is the game for download?

52gb

When will Star team content be announced?

It has already been announced that this mode will include current players and legends. The legends have not been announced yet, and this is being saved for a special reveal closer to release. Star Team mode will be available to play on release day. There will be in game purchases.

When will there be gameplay shown?

Ross has made it clear that there will be videos of current build gameplay footage released by big ant and content creators before release. With an emphasis on ‘before’. It is also important to consider that the marketing strategy of bigant/AFL is to spend most of the marketing budget post release when the game is available for purchase. Anything marketed goes through an extensive approval process by all parties involved(AFL, Nacon, ect, before being shown to the public.)

Wasn’t there already gameplay shown at the launch event in April?

While there was game play shown at the launch event, this was from an old dev/Frankenstine build, designed specifically for the launch event. Due to this we can not use this footage as a determinant of how good or bad the gameplay in AFL23 will be. We will need to pass judgement until the new gameplay trailer emerges in the coming days. Watch this space!

No Way Meme GIF

Pin please
FAQs about AFL23:

What was the original release date for AFL23?

13th of April

What is the current release date for AFL23?

4th of May

Why did the release date get pushed back 3 weeks?

Games for the Xbox platform were yet to be cleared through customs on the 6th of April- 1 week before the original release date. As it is a requirement for JB and EB stock to arrive in stores one week before release, Big Ant had no choice but to push back the release date. PlayStation games were in stock in time.

Why couldn’t Big Ant just sell the game digitally and on PS platform, from the original release date?

Fairness and equity. It is a requirement for games to be available for both platforms in store concurrently on release so sales are not effected in store or for a specific platform (in this case Xbox).

Surely there was an alternative way around this?

Unfortunately this is not the case without costing bigant financially, or risking the damage of relationships with JB, EB or Microsoft. So it is what it is.

Has the game cleared customs yet?

We do not know if games on Xbox have cleared customs, however Big ant have stated on this thread and on twitter that they will let us know when the copies have been cleared into Australia

Could this release date be pushed back again?
Yes it could, dependent on if the Xbox games have not cleared customs and/or EB and JB stores have not received stock in each state a minimum 1 week before release. So copies must be in stores by 27th of April to avoid further delays.

Could the release date be pushed forward?

Yes Ross has said it can be if stock is received by stores more than one week before 4th May, however this is looking less and less likely by the day.

What will be in the game?
Fully licensed AFL and AFLW competitions with all 18 clubs, all players photo captured and assigned with unique skills traits/attributes and ratings powered by Champion Data. There will also be official VFL, SANFL, WAFL and U18 competitions included however it has not been announced whether these players will be licensed or generic. There will be over 30 offical stadia from around the country.

There is claimed by Big ant to be an extensive list of features.
These include:
Play Now
Season mode
Deep Management Mode with tactics, draft, trade, free agency and official AFL coaches(likeness included).
Player Career
Star Team (Ultimate)
Academy Creation tools (stadium, guernsey, club, player)
Hall of Fame (past awards and premierships)

Commentators on the game will include:
Hamish McLaughlin
Jason Bennett
Kelli Underwood
Anthony Hudson
Daniel Harford
and Gary Lyon.
Unfortunately Daisy was cut from the team late in development.

How many gb is the game for download?

52gb

When will Star team content be announced?

It has already been announced that this mode will include current players and legends. The legends have not been announced yet, and this is being saved for a special reveal closer to release. Star Team mode will be available to play on release day. There will be in game purchases.

When will there be gameplay shown?

Ross has made it clear that there will be videos of current build gameplay footage released by big ant and content creators before release. With an emphasis on ‘before’. It is also important to consider that the marketing strategy of bigant/AFL is to spend most of the marketing budget post release when the game is available for purchase. Anything marketed goes through an extensive approval process by all parties involved(AFL, Nacon, ect, before being shown to the public.)

Wasn’t there already gameplay shown at the launch event in April?

While there was game play shown at the launch event, this was from an old dev/Frankenstine build, designed specifically for the launch event. Due to this we can not use this footage as a determinant of how good or bad the gameplay in AFL23 will be. We will need to pass judgement until the new gameplay trailer emerges in the coming days. Watch this space!

Can you include a list of posters blocked by Ross for melting over Touk Miller’s face scan?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back