Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
WHEN CAN I PLAY? READ BELOW:
  • PlayStation (Physical): Thursday 4 May
  • PlayStation (Digital): 8:01am AEST Thursday 4 May
  • Steam: Currently 8:01am AEST Thursday 4 May, may be moved to 12:01am AEST
  • Xbox (Digital or Physical): TO BE CONFIRMED, unlikely to be 4 May

Those that pre-ordered PS versions will be able to play on Thursday, disks will have already been mailed by retailers, they will also be available in-store.

Steam will also be available Thursday.

Stating the obvious, we are still having issues with XBox.

Seriously, anyone that looks hard knows there’s issues - why do you think there are so many exclusives for a particular platform that are not marked as exclusive, but are only on that platform.

If I took that road, life would have been a lot easier.

Xbox digital and retail will release at the same time - that is not a decision we get to make.

It applies now and I will no doubt pay a price.

Re: commentary team
Hamish is still there, Daisy didn't make it into the final version of the game.

We added Gary and increased the workload of Harf.

Re: game availability/release dates
I can never give 100% guarantee about anything in the future, but as it stands today, the statement I am prepared to make it that all stock that is at retailers on 4 May will be available for sale.

As to the amount that will be there for sale, and whether it is enough, that is a question I cannot answer.

It will be made digitally available on the various platform holder electronic stores.

Clarifying, the game will not release prior to 4 May 2023.

I am vague as there is one platform that has had sufficient stock at retailers and the other has not, and I cannot name them (contractual reasons).

The game will not be further delayed because of the numbers of units in stock.

Re: Steam listing
I've already put in a request for the screenshots to be replaced with current ones, they'll probably only be there for a day.

As much as the feedback has generally been positive, these are old, meant to be placeholder only and were not meant to go live.

Re: playing lists
All playing lists are accurate for the 2023 season.

Re: content creator footage
This is all prior to day one patch (as some have noted updates like numbers etc are apparent)

Re: Career mode
A head's up on Career mode.

At the AFL 23 Launch night I mentioned the non-team based Individual Career Mode in an interview with Dean (Twistie3). As alluded to at that same event, we were working with the AFL and AFLPA to include as many past legends in the game as possible.

The great news is that we have received approval for far more AFL legends than were previously envisaged, but this has meant that we had to make the tough decision to divert resources away from the Individual Career mode development. The individual Career Mode function will not make it into AFL 23, Career Mode will be entirely team based. I expect this mode to be include in future iterations of the game.

Re: microtransactions
You do not have to make purchases, things can be earned.

Re: general development
So fundamentally flawed, in so many ways, it’s bananas.

We are doing AFL as it’s a passion project, without us doing it there would not be one being made.

So much more upside with making games that are played internationally, let alone one that will not even be played in every state in this country.

Last edited:
You want it to be challenging enough that you don't always kick a goal

But you don't want it to be infuriating when you score 1.15 because of it :p

EDIT TO ADD In past games once you learned the timing of the power bars yes it got easy, the challenge then came from increasing the conditions of the wind and/or then trying to challenge oneself by only scoring from 50m+ out and/or doing tight angle shots. Tight angles + the worst wind = fun.

I've mentioned it before but one thing I'd love to see in future versions is some sort of true home ground advantage. If you're down on the scoreboard away from home and momentum is against you, make the timing meter a little smaller. Make the crowd go ballistic while you're lining up for a set shot. Again, this is a future iteration suggestion, once the basics are all ironed out. And obviously you need a balance so it doesn't feel like cheating, but Adelaide beating Geelong at Kardinia should feel a bit harder than beating them at Adelaide Oval in some way.

I've mentioned it before but one thing I'd love to see in future versions is some sort of true home ground advantage. If you're down on the scoreboard away from home and momentum is against you, make the timing meter a little smaller. Make the crowd go ballistic while you're lining up for a set shot. Again, this is a future iteration suggestion, once the basics are all ironed out. And obviously you need a balance so it doesn't feel like cheating, but Adelaide beating Geelong at Kardinia should feel a bit harder than beating them at Adelaide Oval in some way.

I don't know what WW did but I swear there was some programming that made it very hard to get momentum back when you were 10+ goals down (in Evo 1, not so much the 2nd game)

It's like the AI became more aggressive, particularly when you were controlling the away team. And it was harder to break the lines and move the ball forward.

I'm liking a lot of the ideas people are coming up with.

So now that the trailer was released, do we think its now open slather for content this week?

More chance of ScoMo becoming PM again!

Seeing as Ross said that he's getting some content creators in to film some videos just after ANZAC Day, i'd imagine later this week we'll start to get a few Twitch steams/youtube vids/tik tok whatevers showing some gameplay. Looking forward to it! My kids aren't in holiday care this week so I need all the positivity I can get to get me through the days :p

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Release date to be determined hey…
I'd imagine it's an overnight change to add a date to it when they want to, but it's probably easier for Big Ant to keep "tbd" so that if it breaks release and/or gets delayed again, it's not a headache to update it too much. Still just allowing wishlisting too instead of a direct purchase

honestly I’d be absolutely fine if the game came out and no more promo was done because once the game comes out and people are still uncertain they can just watch countless amounts of videos on it and big ant wouldn’t have to spend an extra cent and continue pumping into the games to come

Couldn't imagine 10 days out that JB or EB are going to go silly and break street release though - even if Xbox stock has arrived. Our fate would lay with Ross and the AFL for an early release

Went full Hawthorn in FIFA over the last week or so- took on a management mode with Adelaide United, sold/loaned/released every player over the age of 21 and started a rebuild using 3 youth scouts in Aus, NZ and Japan - signing every option they present (thank god you get like 3 months before the games start) and playing on Legendary. First season I finished last, second season I climbed to 8th and just missed finals, and now in my third season I'm sitting 5th with 4 games to go. Absolutely loving it - my player average has climbed from 51 to 66 and it's a real enjoyable yoyo.

Anyways, point of my story, am really hoping something similar can be done in AFL 23. I know most play the game wanting instant success, but I hope the draft/trade period and club goals/expectations are friendly enough to allow an enjoyable rebuild process. I want to go full Sam Mitchell and gut the team list and play the long game getting us back to the top. Maybe then it will help me make sense of real life Hawthorn

Been away camping so nice to come back to something new. However whilst a trailer is nice (and this is a nice trailer) its still a handcrafted piece of material showing off what they want to show off. I still noticed almost everyone in white boots, no AFL logos on jumpers and a few other random animations in that trailer (oscar Allen? going for a mark as his opponent is running off 5m in front of him).

Where's the gameplay?

few other random animations in that trailer (oscar Allen? going for a mark as his opponent is running off 5m in front of him).
I remember back when Ty Vickery did that 80 metres off the ball once and then collapsed :huh:

oscar Allen ? going for a mark as his opponent is running off 5m in front of him).
Agree that this is a strange one. Would love to know why that's happening. Maybe it was captured from a two player game and the other player was spamming the mark button?

I think our best hope of seeing anything before Friday could be a 30-second teaser tomorrow to commemorate Anzac Day but likely much later this week. 10 days to go!

View attachment 1668703

Also, it’s back on PSN 😍
Confident this means the xbox versions have cleared customs and are in distribution centres. I think TBD release date is to see if Ross gives the green light or not to release it earlier. I think it will be a low chance of another delay, if there is, it might be another week if there isn't enough xbox copies for all stores.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back