Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
WHEN CAN I PLAY? READ BELOW:
  • PlayStation (Physical): Thursday 4 May
  • PlayStation (Digital): 8:01am AEST Thursday 4 May
  • Steam: Currently 8:01am AEST Thursday 4 May, may be moved to 12:01am AEST
  • Xbox (Digital or Physical): TO BE CONFIRMED, unlikely to be 4 May

Those that pre-ordered PS versions will be able to play on Thursday, disks will have already been mailed by retailers, they will also be available in-store.

Steam will also be available Thursday.

Stating the obvious, we are still having issues with XBox.

Seriously, anyone that looks hard knows there’s issues - why do you think there are so many exclusives for a particular platform that are not marked as exclusive, but are only on that platform.

If I took that road, life would have been a lot easier.

Xbox digital and retail will release at the same time - that is not a decision we get to make.

It applies now and I will no doubt pay a price.

Re: commentary team
Hamish is still there, Daisy didn't make it into the final version of the game.

We added Gary and increased the workload of Harf.

Re: game availability/release dates
I can never give 100% guarantee about anything in the future, but as it stands today, the statement I am prepared to make it that all stock that is at retailers on 4 May will be available for sale.

As to the amount that will be there for sale, and whether it is enough, that is a question I cannot answer.

It will be made digitally available on the various platform holder electronic stores.

Clarifying, the game will not release prior to 4 May 2023.

I am vague as there is one platform that has had sufficient stock at retailers and the other has not, and I cannot name them (contractual reasons).

The game will not be further delayed because of the numbers of units in stock.

Re: Steam listing
I've already put in a request for the screenshots to be replaced with current ones, they'll probably only be there for a day.

As much as the feedback has generally been positive, these are old, meant to be placeholder only and were not meant to go live.

Re: playing lists
All playing lists are accurate for the 2023 season.

Re: content creator footage
This is all prior to day one patch (as some have noted updates like numbers etc are apparent)

Re: Career mode
A head's up on Career mode.

At the AFL 23 Launch night I mentioned the non-team based Individual Career Mode in an interview with Dean (Twistie3). As alluded to at that same event, we were working with the AFL and AFLPA to include as many past legends in the game as possible.

The great news is that we have received approval for far more AFL legends than were previously envisaged, but this has meant that we had to make the tough decision to divert resources away from the Individual Career mode development. The individual Career Mode function will not make it into AFL 23, Career Mode will be entirely team based. I expect this mode to be include in future iterations of the game.

Re: microtransactions
You do not have to make purchases, things can be earned.

Re: general development
So fundamentally flawed, in so many ways, it’s bananas.

We are doing AFL as it’s a passion project, without us doing it there would not be one being made.

So much more upside with making games that are played internationally, let alone one that will not even be played in every state in this country.

Last edited:
Funny that the thing that excited a lot of people was something that as recently as yesterday we were told didn't matter cos jumpers could be created by the community.

Glad there are so many jumpers, especially Port's prison bars cos that's an actual 2023 jumper, but yeah.

Hopefully for (if they do) future iterations, that they scrap the afl logo slide on stoppages which gives the ability to teleport a reset. Would much rather the ai roll in and if they aren’t there they are ‘out of position’. Would be a nice aspect to be able to have, I gather though that would be a hard part to program in and would bring a whole set of issues/bugs to contend with

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Does anyone who watched the stream's gameplay know if you could perform interceptions? Or was the marking really predictive and mechanistic?

Kicks seemed to hang in the air for a good while, so hard to say really. Maybe if we weren't watching dribblers on the controllers we'd know. Hopefully BA release some crystal clear vision of the game actually looks

Still looked like it has plenty of potential from what I did see tho

Lol Evo 2 was an abomination, 23 is clearly better. It's just missing some things like not having gang tackling or any collision system, not that Evo 2 had them, either. Ross told me a goal kick timer was something he thought they needed, in September, but I didn't see it in there.
I never said Evo 2 wasn't an abomination.
But the gameplay certainly was more fluent than the 2 hours of gameplay I just watched.
I'm not sure if the AI was dumbed down for that presentation, but they barely moved.

Also, in the last few minutes Martin was lining up for a goal with 5 Richmond players standing side by side a meter to the left of the set shot. All most like a soccer wall.

On SM-S901E using BigFooty.com mobile app

Funny that the thing that excited a lot of people was something that as recently as yesterday we were told didn't matter cos jumpers could be created by the community.

Glad there are so many jumpers, especially Port's prison bars cos that's an actual 2023 jumper, but yeah.
do you ever have anything positive to say

I think for context it was mentioned during the stream that the AI difficulty had been lowered all the way down to deliberately create lots of openings in play passages in game. Just for those criticising the flow of it.

That doesn't really allay my concerns by itself... It wasn't a matter of the AI lacking aggression or anything, it was literally just wandering aimlessly or standing still while the ball was hanging in the air. Not just the opposition, but the player team too.

I never said Evo 2 wasn't an abomination.
But the gameplay certainly was more fluent than the 2 hours of gameplay I just watched.
I'm not sure if the AI was dumbed down for that presentation, but they barely moved.

Also, in the last few minutes Martin was lining up for a goal with 5 Richmond players standing side by side a meter to the left of the set shot. All most like a soccer wall.

Evo 2 is really not fluid, they used very old 2010 motion capture from Big Ant but they somehow butchered it. The movement in 23 a lot of the time is very natural and weighted, now, except for ruck contests I will admit looked a bit weightless and needs to be improved on.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Gameplay looked good, plenty of jumpers, a few janky bits here and there but overall looked the best footy game so far.
Not a final build version of the game.
Not final team/player ratings.
A.I. was set to Easy.
Still game modes/PC release date to be confirmed.
Looks promising so far.

Not a final build version of the game.
Not final team/player ratings.
A.I. was set to Easy.
Still game modes date to be confirmed.
Who said this?

Evo 2 is really not fluid, they used very old 2010 motion capture from Big Ant but they somehow butchered it. The movement in 23 a lot of the time is very natural and weighted, now, except for ruck contests I will admit looked a bit weightless and needs to be improved on.
Mickelboy182 nailed it.
The AI looked functionless a lot of the time.
So often they rarely moved when the ball was in dispute or the player had possession.

Say want you want about evo 2. The AI's ability to provide options for the overlap handball was very good.

On a positive note, I thought the goal kicking looked sensational.

Clearly they have modelled some set shot routines for the bigger name goal kickers.
I saw Harry McKay's set shot with the one arm footy flick and his personalised run up was spot on.

From the description of that youtube vid.

Play Now - Jump into a match using AFL, AFLW, VFL, VFLW, SANFL, SANFLW, WAFL, WAFLW teams.

Play at one of over 30 fully re-created stadiums. Season - Play a season in any of the available leagues, go through all the ups and downs of a season in the league you love!

Management Career - Trade, recruit and make your favourite AFL or AFLW club into a footballing powerhouse in the Management Career mode, overseeing drafting and player development, you’ll be in full control of your team’s path to the silverware.

Play Online - Play with up to 4 local co-op players online, with crossplay enabled, to take on any challenger, anywhere.

Training & Tutorials - Learn how to play Aussie Rules or play mini-games like Arc Master, Tackle Training, Marker's Up and Ruck Rush!

Academy - Create your own clubs, players and stadiums, then share them with the world online. The renowned Big Ant Studios Academy tools come to an AFL game for the first time.

Hall Of Fame - View your previously won medals and premierships in the Hall of Fame.

PLUS we are working with the AFL Players Association to bring both current players and legends to life in a new mode of play not seen before in an AFL video game.

"a season" is worrying. Hopefully that's just bad wording and we can play multiple seasons. If no my career and no continuous seasons that's a huge whiff.

Can't wait for that ultimate team mode though. Training games may be fun too.

"a season" is worrying. Hopefully that's just bad wording and we can play multiple seasons. If no my career and no continuous seasons that's a huge whiff.

Can't wait for that ultimate team mode though. Training games may be fun too.
That's what management mode is for if you want multiple seasons.

Season mode has always been one season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back