Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
WHEN CAN I PLAY? READ BELOW:
  • PlayStation (Physical): Thursday 4 May
  • PlayStation (Digital): 8:01am AEST Thursday 4 May
  • Steam: Currently 8:01am AEST Thursday 4 May, may be moved to 12:01am AEST
  • Xbox (Digital or Physical): TO BE CONFIRMED, unlikely to be 4 May

Those that pre-ordered PS versions will be able to play on Thursday, disks will have already been mailed by retailers, they will also be available in-store.

Steam will also be available Thursday.

Stating the obvious, we are still having issues with XBox.

Seriously, anyone that looks hard knows there’s issues - why do you think there are so many exclusives for a particular platform that are not marked as exclusive, but are only on that platform.

If I took that road, life would have been a lot easier.

Xbox digital and retail will release at the same time - that is not a decision we get to make.

It applies now and I will no doubt pay a price.

Re: commentary team
Hamish is still there, Daisy didn't make it into the final version of the game.

We added Gary and increased the workload of Harf.

Re: game availability/release dates
I can never give 100% guarantee about anything in the future, but as it stands today, the statement I am prepared to make it that all stock that is at retailers on 4 May will be available for sale.

As to the amount that will be there for sale, and whether it is enough, that is a question I cannot answer.

It will be made digitally available on the various platform holder electronic stores.

Clarifying, the game will not release prior to 4 May 2023.

I am vague as there is one platform that has had sufficient stock at retailers and the other has not, and I cannot name them (contractual reasons).

The game will not be further delayed because of the numbers of units in stock.

Re: Steam listing
I've already put in a request for the screenshots to be replaced with current ones, they'll probably only be there for a day.

As much as the feedback has generally been positive, these are old, meant to be placeholder only and were not meant to go live.

Re: playing lists
All playing lists are accurate for the 2023 season.

Re: content creator footage
This is all prior to day one patch (as some have noted updates like numbers etc are apparent)

Re: Career mode
A head's up on Career mode.

At the AFL 23 Launch night I mentioned the non-team based Individual Career Mode in an interview with Dean (Twistie3). As alluded to at that same event, we were working with the AFL and AFLPA to include as many past legends in the game as possible.

The great news is that we have received approval for far more AFL legends than were previously envisaged, but this has meant that we had to make the tough decision to divert resources away from the Individual Career mode development. The individual Career Mode function will not make it into AFL 23, Career Mode will be entirely team based. I expect this mode to be include in future iterations of the game.

Re: microtransactions
You do not have to make purchases, things can be earned.

Re: general development
So fundamentally flawed, in so many ways, it’s bananas.

We are doing AFL as it’s a passion project, without us doing it there would not be one being made.

So much more upside with making games that are played internationally, let alone one that will not even be played in every state in this country.

Last edited:
You've got the ball at half back and the switch isn't on, so you bomb it towards your ruckman on the wing where a pack of players have formed.

Why don't we see this in AFL video games, considering we see it dozens of times in every match? Is it just too difficult to get enough variety of animations for 5+ man aerial contests?

Speaking of animations, they aren't the best. Ruck contests, the late crowd reactions to goals, some of the weird marking contests... but everything else, knowing that the AI was tuned down, honestly looks very playable and entirely worth the purchase. Pretty pumped.
Actually, most of the animations were great, except for ruck contests. The ruck animation was weightless and choppy, and chasing the fly ball should have the players facing it, not looking straight at ground level. Or, at least have an option to look up while running, that improves the chances at marking the ball.

You've got the ball at half back and the switch isn't on, so you bomb it towards your ruckman on the wing where a pack of players have formed.

Why don't we see this in AFL video games, considering we see it dozens of times in every match? Is it just too difficult to get enough variety of animations for 5+ man aerial contests?

Speaking of animations, they aren't the best. Ruck contests, the late crowd reactions to goals, some of the weird marking contests... but everything else, knowing that the AI was tuned down, honestly looks very playable and entirely worth the purchase. Pretty pumped.

I would think the AI would function the same regardless of the difficulty? And just the AI reactions, speed and accuracy of movement/ball use. That would be key differences that make it more difficult or easier? (Happy to be wrong) Tad concerned to see some of the aspects pointed out in respect to some animations and AI functions, some stuff patchable but others not. Hopefully they atleast learn a lot from this for next time

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Still sounds like no player career which is a massive miss from BA.

Ultimate Team sounds promising though.
Career mode means nothing without decent gameplay. They should really be focusing on improving the gameplay, it's just a bit unpolished and missing loads of skill sets and manoeuvres.

I’ll support it. I don’t care what anyone says but having a current AFL game is better than having none. Knowing how BigAnt work, this is not a sprint but a marathon. I look forward to the journey. Keep up the good work Ross and the team!
It's certainly an investment, after all the garbage we had since 2013. Finally back to that more fluid gameplay, but would be nice to have more gameplay features and for some things like rucking to be weighted and fluid like the rest of the gameplay.

Hoping the team overalls are tweaked. First of all we should see a clear discrepancy between the top 4-5 and the bottom 4-5. Hawthorn can’t be 3 ratings away from the top rated team. Understand that it was a Dev version but let’s hope they have tweaked them

It was said on stream that they aren't the final ones and that they'll be tweaked before release.

Hoping the team overalls are tweaked. First of all we should see a clear discrepancy between the top 4-5 and the bottom 4-5. Hawthorn can’t be 3 ratings away from the top rated team. Understand that it was a Dev version but let’s hope they have tweaked them

Yeah. Can’t have teams who were top 8 last year same rating as the wooden spooners. The best thing about the original afl live was the fact that good teams played like good ones and shit ones played like shit teams

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Oh boy, assuming it's gone gold in that state it's gonna get torn apart by the FB/twitter crowd. It does appear like it's live 1 but looking a lot better to me but boy does it have some major issues.

Oh boy, assuming it's gone gold in that state it's gonna get torn apart by the FB/twitter crowd. It does appear like it's live 1 but looking a lot better to me but boy does it have some major issues.
Let's be honest, it's going to be torn apart by the FB/twitter nuffies regardless, they will expect FIFA without a FIFA budget.

Career mode means nothing without decent gameplay. They should really be focusing on improving the gameplay, it's just a bit unpolished and missing loads of skill sets and manoeuvres.
The reality is that it’s 2023. A sports video game without a player career mode isn’t exactly going to appeal to the average fan.

How was the commentary berisha ?
Sorry was busy drinking frothies on Gil's tab.

I said it earlier but graphically this is hands-down the best looking AFL game we've had. Player models look great and the general presentation is impressive.

Commentary, I'm sorry to say that I actually didn't play with headphones (I played twice).

When it comes to the gameplay it is a improvement on Evo, but while I know the majority on here will do so, people need to temper their expectations. This is a sports title for a sport that is more complex than most being made on a budget less than the sports games we've grown accustomed to. What is clear is that Big Ant has passion for the sport.

Is what I played perfect? Not at all. Ross and the BA team know this, they've said they'll be tinkering with settings up until launch and I don't know what adjustments were made for tonight's event.

What I did play definitely had potential. It was very contested, which I half contribute to myself and others relearning the control scheme. There were several game minutes where the play didn't move far at all and it was ruck contest after ruck contest, tackle after tackle. There is a mechanic where players can get rid of the ball once wrapped up, in the build I played this was far from the case. It felt like you had a micro second to convince the game you can dispose of it, 95% of the time it resulted in another ball up. This is the one element the team said they are working on so I expect this to change.

Tackling also went unrewarded, with the umps well and truly putting the whistle away. There were clear holding the balls that weren't paid. Whether this was scaled back for the event I'm not sure but if so they need to tweak this.

Another issue is how quick everyone seems to be off the mark. I made an effort to see how "realistic" it is, handballing to an overlapping (sorta) teammate only to be wrapped up almost instantly my the man on the mark.

I actually really like the new goal kicking mechanics, it offers a nice challenge compared to Evo 2.

In saying that, I enjoyed it and I'm excited for a new AFL game, the possibility of legends (Kouta!), and management mode. I still would love to see some Fifa-esque training modes where you're forced (if you wish) to master the controls.

All this is is based on about 15 minutes of hands-on time and I have no doubt things will be improved before launch.

Other than that it was nice to meet HBK there.

Sorry was busy drinking frothies on Gil's tab.

I said it earlier but graphically this is hands-down the best looking AFL game we've had. Player models look great and the general presentation is impressive.

Commentary, I'm sorry to say that I actually didn't play with headphones (I played twice).

When it comes to the gameplay it is a improvement on Evo, but while I know the majority on here will do so, people need to temper their expectations. This is a sports title for a sport that is more complex than most being made on a budget less than the sports games we've grown accustomed to. What is clear is that Big Ant has passion for the sport.

Is what I played perfect? Not at all. Ross and the BA team know this, they've said they'll be tinkering with settings up until launch and I don't know what adjustments were made for tonight's event.

What I did play definitely had potential. It was very contested, which I half contribute to myself and others relearning the control scheme. There were several game minutes where the play didn't move far at all and it was ruck contest after ruck contest, tackle after tackle. There is a mechanic where players can get rid of the ball once wrapped up, in the build I played this was far from the case. It felt like you had a micro second to convince the game you can dispose of it, 95% of the time it resulted in another ball up. This is the one element the team said they are working on so I expect this to change.

Tackling also went unrewarded, with the umps well and truly putting the whistle away. There were clear holding the balls that weren't paid. Whether this was scaled back for the event I'm not sure but if so they need to tweak this.

Another issue is how quick everyone seems to be off the mark. I made an effort to see how "realistic" it is, handballing to an overlapping (sorta) teammate only to be wrapped up almost instantly my the man on the mark.

I actually really like the new goal kicking mechanics, it offers a nice challenge compared to Evo 2.

In saying that, I enjoyed it and I'm excited for a new AFL game, the possibility of legends (Kouta!), and management mode. I still would love to see some Fifa-esque training modes where you're forced (if you wish) to master the controls.

All this is is based on about 15 minutes of hands-on time and I have no doubt things will be improved before launch.

Other than that it was nice to meet HBK there.
Exceelent as usual mate. Thanks for the write up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back