Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
WHEN CAN I PLAY? READ BELOW:
  • PlayStation (Physical): Thursday 4 May
  • PlayStation (Digital): 8:01am AEST Thursday 4 May
  • Steam: Currently 8:01am AEST Thursday 4 May, may be moved to 12:01am AEST
  • Xbox (Digital or Physical): TO BE CONFIRMED, unlikely to be 4 May

Those that pre-ordered PS versions will be able to play on Thursday, disks will have already been mailed by retailers, they will also be available in-store.

Steam will also be available Thursday.

Stating the obvious, we are still having issues with XBox.

Seriously, anyone that looks hard knows there’s issues - why do you think there are so many exclusives for a particular platform that are not marked as exclusive, but are only on that platform.

If I took that road, life would have been a lot easier.

Xbox digital and retail will release at the same time - that is not a decision we get to make.

It applies now and I will no doubt pay a price.

Re: commentary team
Hamish is still there, Daisy didn't make it into the final version of the game.

We added Gary and increased the workload of Harf.

Re: game availability/release dates
I can never give 100% guarantee about anything in the future, but as it stands today, the statement I am prepared to make it that all stock that is at retailers on 4 May will be available for sale.

As to the amount that will be there for sale, and whether it is enough, that is a question I cannot answer.

It will be made digitally available on the various platform holder electronic stores.

Clarifying, the game will not release prior to 4 May 2023.

I am vague as there is one platform that has had sufficient stock at retailers and the other has not, and I cannot name them (contractual reasons).

The game will not be further delayed because of the numbers of units in stock.

Re: Steam listing
I've already put in a request for the screenshots to be replaced with current ones, they'll probably only be there for a day.

As much as the feedback has generally been positive, these are old, meant to be placeholder only and were not meant to go live.

Re: playing lists
All playing lists are accurate for the 2023 season.

Re: content creator footage
This is all prior to day one patch (as some have noted updates like numbers etc are apparent)

Re: Career mode
A head's up on Career mode.

At the AFL 23 Launch night I mentioned the non-team based Individual Career Mode in an interview with Dean (Twistie3). As alluded to at that same event, we were working with the AFL and AFLPA to include as many past legends in the game as possible.

The great news is that we have received approval for far more AFL legends than were previously envisaged, but this has meant that we had to make the tough decision to divert resources away from the Individual Career mode development. The individual Career Mode function will not make it into AFL 23, Career Mode will be entirely team based. I expect this mode to be include in future iterations of the game.

Re: microtransactions
You do not have to make purchases, things can be earned.

Re: general development
So fundamentally flawed, in so many ways, it’s bananas.

We are doing AFL as it’s a passion project, without us doing it there would not be one being made.

So much more upside with making games that are played internationally, let alone one that will not even be played in every state in this country.

Last edited:
Hi all,

This thread is becoming really, really difficult to manage. Over the last ten pages we have actioned at least five reports, deleted or edited between 20-30 posts, and handed out several thread bans and official warnings/infractions. It is becoming ridiculous.

We are also fielding a great deal of moderator criticism. It might help you to know that those who support BA are criticising us for allowing complaining about the game, and those that are criticising BA are having a go at us for protecting them. Go figure.

Let me be really clear: we are not going to stop optimists from being positive, nor are we going to stop those who are critical of what they've seen so far from posting complaints. Both are entirely justified and reasonable opinions that are worthy of being shared, no matter what you think about them.

Things that aren't tolerated:
  • Personal attacks against others (yes, this includes the passive-aggressive sniping we've deleted umpteen times every day)
  • Repetitive posts that serve only to bait others
  • Repeated complaining about what other people are posting
  • Posting videos from "that" YouTuber (you know the one) just to poke fun at them
  • Public mod criticism (as with anything on BF - if you have an issue, PM us
We are simply at the point where we cannot keep this thread going the way it is. This means that we are going to be very liberal with the thread ban function. If you're a repeat offender of any of the above, we'll see you in a week.

To everyone else: please help us by reporting posts that you think contravene this, and try to keep it civil. We're all eagerly awaiting seeing more of the game, whether we're ambivalent, unsure, or certain it's going to be great. Just chill out a bit and try to enjoy the thread.

Thanks.
Congrats…well said. You should pin this post so it isn’t lost in the comments that come tomorrow!

Last edited:
Hi all,

This thread is becoming really, really difficult to manage. Over the last ten pages we have actioned at least five reports, deleted or edited between 20-30 posts, and handed out several thread bans and official warnings/infractions. It is becoming ridiculous.

We are also fielding a great deal of moderator criticism. It might help you to know that those who support BA are criticising us for allowing complaining about the game, and those that are criticising BA are having a go at us for protecting them. Go figure.

Let me be really clear: we are not going to stop optimists from being positive, nor are we going to stop those who are critical of what they've seen so far from posting complaints. Both are entirely justified and reasonable opinions that are worthy of being shared, no matter what you think about them.

• Personal attacks against others (yes, this includes the passive-aggressive sniping we've deleted umpteen times every day)
  • Posting videos from "that" YouTuber (you know the one) just to poke fun at them
We are simply at the point where we cannot keep this thread going the way it is. This means that we are going to be very liberal with the thread ban function. If you're a repeat offender of any of the above, we'll see you in a week.

To everyone else: please help us by reporting posts that you think contravene this, and try to keep it civil. We're all eagerly awaiting seeing more of the game, whether we're ambivalent, unsure, or certain it's going to be great. Just chill out a bit and try to enjoy the thread.

Thanks.

Hi all,

Thanks.
Pin this.

Would love to see the thematic lighting that's used at places like Marvel, MCG and Optus Stadium now when the home team kicks a goal implemented into the game, where the stadium starts flashing the team colours with different intensity depending on the difficulty of the goal and stage of the game.

Might be a difficult one to implement but I think it would help with the immersion you'd feel within the game if done right.

It won't be in this version, will look at it in the future.

Apologies if this was answered already but I cant recall….has it been specified why the game isnt being released on Switch? I would guess the hardware just couldnt handle the specs? Cheers. ☺️
If we developed it for the Switch then the versions for the other consoles would have been impacted negatively as they would have been somewhat brought back to it's level of power.

Essentially the Switch is not capable of rendering the number of players on the screen along with the associated AI and maintain a reasonable frame rate.

Was wondering if anyone has noticed from the videos of gameplay available, if whether the set shots at goal gets easier or harder to time depending on where you are kicking from. So I would think 20m in front with no angle would be way easier than 30m on a 60 degree angle and if that is part of the gameplay mechanism.

Was wondering if anyone has noticed from the videos of gameplay available, if whether the set shots at goal gets easier or harder to time depending on where you are kicking from. So I would think 20m in front with no angle would be way easier than 30m on a 60 degree angle and if that is part of the gameplay mechanism.
This and hopefully the rain makes it slightly harder too. Not often you see accurate kicking during wet games yet on every AFL game we’ve had to date, teams are still kicking 14.2 for example

It's just naturally harder because of the perspective of the visible part of the goal being available, the tighter the angle, the less visible the goal is (like in real life).

It's just naturally harder because of the perspective of the visible part of the goal being available, the tighter the angle, the less visible the goal is (like in real life).
Thanks for the reply big ant. Was also wondering if there will be a ‘pro’ control setting for set shots? I ve been playing the hell out of cricket 22 and love using the pro controls for batting and bowling, especially seeing I have to use both joysticks and was hoping that would also make it over to afl 23. With the game play vids available and with set shots, that to me is like a ‘arcade’ control system.

This and hopefully the rain makes it slightly harder too. Not often you see accurate kicking during wet games yet on every AFL game we’ve had to date, teams are still kicking 14.2 for example
Yeah that would be cool and you know what would be cool too?. Don’t know how familiar you are with big ant’s cricket games, but the one thing I love about it is the confidence bar that is available for batters and bowlers. I reckon big ant needs to incorporate it into the game (can be determined by stats and change depending on how each player is performing). The confidence bar would add another element to gameplay, if you have a player with high confidence (green) set shots would be easier with a bigger margin for error, while low confidence players ( red) they would have a lower margin of error for set shots (or just missing targets by hand or by foot). I reckon that will make players adjust how they play, they might need to move players around - send them to the bench for a spell. Cause you know confidence plays such a big part of how a player plays, no matter how good their ‘stats’ are.

Not sure if this has already been asked but does the creator academy section of the game differ in anyway from PC to console. In regards to uploading custom logos, uploading logos. creation tools,etc! Im on a console and use a mac.. just hoping I could still do all the same things. Furthermore about the game more generally speaking now, is there and major differences between say a PS4 and a next gen PS5 copy of the game? Cheers, can’t wait!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah that would be cool and you know what would be cool too?. Don’t know how familiar you are with big ant’s cricket games, but the one thing I love about it is the confidence bar that is available for batters and bowlers. I reckon big ant needs to incorporate it into the game (can be determined by stats and change depending on how each player is performing). The confidence bar would add another element to gameplay, if you have a player with high confidence (green) set shots would be easier with a bigger margin for error, while low confidence players ( red) they would have a lower margin of error for set shots (or just missing targets by hand or by foot). I reckon that will make players adjust how they play, they might need to move players around - send them to the bench for a spell. Cause you know confidence plays such a big part of how a player plays, no matter how good their ‘stats’ are.
Yep, very familiar with that system and I like that idea.
Players like Joey Daniher should struggle a lot more in front of goal once he’s missed a few as opposed to Jeremy Cameron for example
(Sorry GTL16)

Players like Joey Daniher should struggle a lot more in front of goal once he’s missed a few as opposed to Jeremy Cameron for example
(Sorry GTL16)
Or imagine your biggest strongest full forward gets the yips like Lindsay Thomas cause he missed a few shots 40 50 meters out. And their confidence is shot to bits. As a player you might have move him into the goal square and then change they way you play (originally having your ff make a lead to the 50m) but now you have to bomb it out of the centre square deep towards goal. Hoping for that system to generate dynamic gameplay.

(Sorry GTL16)
Mate Jeremy Cameron would just have his confidence meter not even green just freakin gold all the time.

Not sure if this has already been asked but does the creator academy section of the game differ in anyway from PC to console. In regards to uploading custom logos, uploading logos. creation tools,etc! Im on a console and use a mac.. just hoping I could still do all the same things. Furthermore about the game more generally speaking now, is there and major differences between say a PS4 and a next gen PS5 copy of the game? Cheers, can’t wait!
I think it was mentioned here before but should be all the same to allow cross platform

(Sorry GTL16)
I think for this one hopefully it will also take into consideration that some players are better kicks 50m out than 20m dead centre. For example Daniher. The further out the more successful he usually is.

(Sorry GTL16)
Madden 23 the camera/perspective for the QB gets shakey when your team is down on the road. Something like that would be cool for AFL set shots once missing a few and confidence is down, or even for a big moment of the game

Completely different sport, completely different scenario, but one of the old WWE games had a momentum meter for superstars, so you’d know who’s going good and who to push.

Could be a wonderful mechanic in manager mode, to track who is performing well, who to drop, who to call up etc. Even better if it affects ratings during the season. AFL Premiership Coach on Steam attempts this but I don’t reckon they did it well

Just thought of my biggest pet peeve with Evo 2 - AI players in pockets near goal always went the drop punt. They could be behind the outer post and they’d still try for a drop punt. Make the AI go for check sides and snaps 🤞

If we developed it for the Switch then the versions for the other consoles would have been impacted negatively as they would have been somewhat brought back to it's level of power.

Essentially the Switch is not capable of rendering the number of players on the screen along with the associated AI and maintain a reasonable frame rate.

But Wicked Witch could do it. Why can't you?

AFL-Evolution-2-Nintendo-Switch-770x433.jpg

AFL-CROWD.jpg

But Wicked Witch could do it. Why can't you?

AFL-Evolution-2-Nintendo-Switch-770x433.jpg

AFL-CROWD.jpg
That was 3 years ago, before the ninth generation of gaming. Wicked Witch were using lower graphics for Evo 2 and much lower CPU usage for all their platforms, so they could do a Switch port and have it be similar to the other ports.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back