AFL allocates Zones to Victorian Teams

Remove this Banner Ad

I can see the eligibility to join an academy diluted until everyone is eligible. Won't the draft be fun then. I can see a scenario where the first draft selection had their pick matched for every selection until the third round.

should put and end to tanking though. ;)

the point of these zones goes beyond a few draft picks as other have said its about enticing clubs to spend their money on the local area and improve talent rather then hoarding it away, for facility's. It will also help strengthen support for a proper seconds comp to develop talent from and hopefully reduce the costs of young people taking up footy, as long term its becomes in the clubs best interests to take over and subsidise local teams, meaning more kids can stick with the game longer.

its a good idea, i doubt think many vic clubs will take things seriously and would rather rig the system, but as long as the age restrictions are set right it should be pretty much under control.

the racial profiling aspect is a big issue, the academies should be restricted to time spent playing the game rather then racial background. many sports from baseball to soccer to rugby league show that race or even language are not barriers to playing particular sports. the issue is attracting people to give it a go in the first place.
Best way for it to happen would be for it to be set up as a private high school for kids from disadvantaged backgrounds. Kids get an education. If they're talented they get introduced to AFL-run programs and shown a pathway. Try and get the school in with the APS comps down the track.

Probably won't happen.

I can see the eligibility to join an academy diluted until everyone is eligible. Won't the draft be fun then. I can see a scenario where the first draft selection had their pick matched for every selection until the third round.

Just have it simple. Have Aboriginal players and players who speak a second language. If you are not Aboriginal and only speak English then you are not eligible.

Essendon effectively getting the Tiwi Islands means one thing - more Riolis and more Longs! You can almost see the cheeky grin on Sheedy's face!

So would of Cyril qualified for Essendon because he was born in the Tiwi Islands and first played for St Mary's...or would of he qualified for Hawthorn because he was playing for Scotch College when drafted? (I'm assuming Scotch College is a Hawthorn zone seeing it is in Hawthorn and Hawthorn have Whitehorse...it's a pretty poor graphic).

Just have it simple. Have Aboriginal players and players who speak a second language. If you are not Aboriginal and only speak English then you are not eligible.
So a 4th generation kid who speaks Italian because of Nona qualifies?

This basically means my old school will now be known as St Patrick's Bulldogs College. They've been known to give huge scholarships to aspiring footy players, Jake Neade being the most prominent of late. Now if the Dogs want an edge they'll pump money into the Ballarat boarding schools to attract the best young talent from around Country Victoria and the NT to poach players from other clubs zones.
Isn't that what happened to a few GWS kids this year? went to school in Ballarat etc but were still eligible to GWS as an academy pick, as it was where they grew up? Or maybe i'm confusing myself.

Is this about clubs putting in time, effort & money or just grabbing any talent they can?
I think it's the former. Look at the NT map it's been given to well resourced clubs (Dees aside).

So what's this mean exactly?

Essendon and North have first dibs on Calder Cannon players?
To players within the stated zones with Multicultural or Indigenous backgrounds.
All other players go through the established pathways

Best way for it to happen would be for it to be set up as a private high school for kids from disadvantaged backgrounds. Kids get an education. If they're talented they get introduced to AFL-run programs and shown a pathway. Try and get the school in with the APS comps down the track.

Probably won't happen.

No chance, that goes into politics, the AFL isn't big enough to run enough schools to represent all areas correctly by themselves, it would require some level of tax payer founding, Once you involve pollies things fall to shit.

a small step forward though would be linking academy membership with being enrolled and passing classes, with money directed to schools that run Australian Football Programs and thus encouraging scholarships.

But right now the biggest issue is getting the AFL's demonstrably outdated understanding of recruitment into the 21st century, they are basically treating anyone from a non-anglo background as outsiders, rather then treating anyone actually outside the game as outsiders no matter their background.

a kid who's just moved here from the US is no more or less reluctant to pick up a sherrin then kid thats just moved here from syria.
Likewise an indigenous kid from the bush requires no greater support and pathways then kid who's grown up in a shitty area of a city who's parents barely have money to pay for school uniforms.
a kid who's played the game for most of his life however is advantaged more then any of them when it comes to footy development.
Giving that kid extra resources simply because he's of Macedonian decent doesn't help bring any new talent into the sport.

the first barrier is the kids ability to play the game, getting exposure. the second as you said is education and pathways. Clubs will always find a way to game the system, the way it seems to be set up now is that your best chance is to throw your resources at kids who already play and love sport but speak ESL rather then trying to actually trying to attract and develop kids with little to no experience playing the game.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Maybe it. Becomes a full on bidding system.

Btw, heeney isnt from a diverse background.

Diverse is maybe maximum 40% of the full population, but mostly a few percent

Would a player like Tom Boyd (Danish mother) count as diverse?

How about Italian descendants like Bontempelli or liberatore?

Again... The "speaks English at home" rule seems reasonably clear cut with the above examples.

I hope this is a case of division based on quality, not quantity...

Just look at the size of Richmond and Hawthorn's zone in Victoria! We share the cannons with North and have a little Island in the Northern Territory. Oh well. Can't say yhat I understand what this all means though.

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL allocates Zones to Victorian Teams

Remove this Banner Ad

Back