2022 Coaching Structure
Senior Coach – Ben Rutten (thread)
Assistant coach (midfield and team offence) – Blake Caracella
Assistant coach (back line and team defence) – Daniel Giansiracusa
Assistant coach (forward) - Dale Tapping
Assistant coach (ruck) - Tom Bellchambers
Development coach – Leigh Tudor
Development coach – Cameron Roberts

Development coach - Natalie Wood (also our AFLW Coach)
VFL Head Coach - Brent Stanton
VFL Assistant Coach (defence) - Dustin Fletcher
VFL Assistant Coach (midfield) - Ben Jolley
VFL Assistant coach (forward) - Michael Hurley

Last edited:
It's hard to know how much of our poor performance comes down to these guys. Caracella and Tudor have been mentioned as potential senior coach candidates in previous years so presumably they are quite good at their jobs. Likewise I've only ever heard good things about Gia. As far as I can see they've all come across from high performing clubs so should know what a strong system looks like, and in theory should be able to replicate that here.

I suspect it's going to be the same with the assistants as it is with the senior coaching position. We can sack people are re-hire from good clubs, but until the rot at Essendon is cut out these roles will be a revolving door.
thing with Tudor that's always bothered me is he goes places just as they get good

Cats just as they started the dynasty. Saints when they were primed. North when they were at their best in the last 20 years.
Not sure he's ever been anywhere that he's helped build to something.
Cara quite similar.

Rutten at least did this at Richmond. He should have experience to draw on from here for us but i think he's also battling a different club. Richmond were never as self-obsessed as we are.

I’m not entirely sure that we’re talking about the same thing… how do you come to the point that we need more cooks in our kitchen assistant coaching panel?
A stoppages coach is a huge hole that we haven't had filled for a little while and we often get embarrassed in there.

Some sort of executive chef might be the answer.
The point of the idiom is that there are already too many executive chefs involved. One has the title but the rest have the inclination that possibly they know better. One would hope it’s collaborative but whatever it is it doesn’t seem to work does it?

A stoppages coach is a huge hole that we haven't had filled for a little while and we often get embarrassed in there.
We don’t have a dedicated stoppages coach but I’m pretty sure someone picked up that responsibility when Kelly left. And yes we could bring in a stoppages coach but it’s really not what I meant.

The phrase about too many cooks is about too many people trying to be the boss and influence what is going on… not the number of people involved altogether.

Might be too many cooks in the kitchen too

I agree, and I think you (or maybe someone else) mentioned that they're not coaching the playing groups that they were before they came to Essendon. I wonder whether these senior assistants have got one eye on a head coaching gig and are trying to round out their experience with us, rather than just focusing on doing what they're best at while they're with us.

I agree, and I think you (or maybe someone else) mentioned that they're not coaching the playing groups that they were before they came to Essendon. I wonder whether these senior assistants have got one eye on a head coaching gig and are trying to round out their experience with us, rather than just focusing on doing what they're best at while they're with us.
Yeah they’ve been muddled up so the career forwards coach has the backline and vice versa. A chance to extend themselves and learn about coaching other parts of the ground before they have to do the whole thing… rather than applying their existing expertise to the area they’re expert in.

At the risk of completely yaco’ing the thread, Nat Wood was talking in an interview about some of the challenges she’s faced in setting up a new team and how the assistant panel she has are great but everyone is throwing in ideas and wants to do this and that and something else and she has to sort of say no, we have to keep it simple in the first year and then build on it.

And I wonder if that’s a lesson she learned from the AFL coaching team, that was already undergoing a review before the AFLW coaching panel was announced… like clearly someone in the club knows about these kinds of issues, right?

The point of the idiom is that there are already too many executive chefs involved. One has the title but the rest have the inclination that possibly they know better. One would hope it’s collaborative but whatever it is it doesn’t seem to work does it?
I was hinting at: last week we needed a director of coaching. This week we have too many. Either could be correct.

I think if anything the feeling I'm getting is that Truck may not be the man who's able to pull it all together, the way Nat Wood describes in your post above.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah they’ve been muddled up so the career forwards coach has the backline and vice versa. A chance to extend themselves and learn about coaching other parts of the ground before they have to do the whole thing… rather than applying their existing expertise to the area they’re expert in.

All these things add up, you cannot have a number of people in senior positions that have ulterior motives. The number one focus of every single person at the club should be first and foremost building towards a successful club, and personal goals should come second to that.

A club that already has a successful culture can probably afford to have a assistant coach that wants to try work on something different than they have previously.

I was hinting at: last week we needed a director of coaching. This week we have too many. Either could be correct.

I think if anything the feeling I'm getting is that Truck may not be the man who's able to pull it all together, the way Nat Wood describes in your post above.
A director of coaching is not a coach, that’s like saying the restaurant manager isn’t needed because we have 4 sous chefs (really starting to push the analogy beyond its useful limits at this point)

All these things add up, you cannot have a number of people in senior positions that have ulterior motives. The number one focus of every single person at the club should be first and foremost building towards a successful club, and personal goals should come second to that.

A club that already has a successful culture can probably afford to have a assistant coach that wants to try work on something different than they have previously.
I really don’t blame the assistants on that basis though, if they were brought in because their ideas and expertise are super valuable and here’s a career plan and all the wonderful things you will be able to access through the club to help you fulfil that etc.

I think our CEO is the master of the pitch, he can pitch to a prospective assistant coach just as easily as he does to a prospective sponsor.

Wouldn’t be surprised if Choco is at essendon next year.
Scarlett had a year off coaching, any chance of making a phone call.
We would have to do a lot of ass kissing to get Williams after we burnt him in the Worsfold fake process.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back