AFL - Can you be bothered anymore?

Remove this Banner Ad

astro_toby

Cancelled
Sep 30, 2004
AFL Club
Richmond
don't know if its just me - but i just can't be bothered with it anymore.

Sick of the AFL changing the rules to suit their new investment - while other clubs have had to wait over 30 years to win a flag.

The introduction o free agency to help support Gold Coast succeed, meaning that clubs "rebuilding" plans go out the window...

Constantly changing the rules to the point that players don't even understand them anymore....

seriously, can anyone be bothered? Do you think you just love richmond, or you actually love the game of AFL

if the tige's folded tomorrow, i can honestly say my interest in football would be about as high as my interest is for Baseball

so glad this is a world cup year:thumbsu:

I love the game and can't help but be excited about the season kicking off ...

... having said that, I think shattered passion is the number one motivator of mass murderers worldwide.

Is it? World Cup what? There seems to be some World Cup or other going on every year.

If the Tigers folded tomorrow A) I would be bitter. Enraged, bitter and more than a little confused; B) I would probably follow players for a little while rather than a team.

Sure, the rule changes and more specifically the conscious effort to allow umpires to decide the outcomes of a matches annoy me, but I still love football and AFL administration comes and goes like driftwood. The game will not be going anywhere soon.

Look at some of the 70s games and at some of the marks paid to players who climbed on someone's back, glanced their fingers off the ball, then hit the deck. So many things back then would either not be paid, not be done or are unheard of today. There are rule fads in every decade, it's just that the recent last decade has seen a fad of rule trials.

At least they ditched some of the crappier ones from NAB like play-on when the ball bounces back into play off the post.

..or you actually love the game of AFL
Not having a go at you here toby, but it really shits me to see the game referred to as AFL.

The game is Australian (or Aussie) Rules football.

AFL is a trademark of the the Australian Football Leaugue and to refer to the game as AFL infers ownership of the game by AD and his minions at AFL headquaters

While these clowns may behave like they think they own the game, it a game for the people, by the people, something they need to remember because without us, the supporters, they have nothing.

Again, sorry if it seems like I'm having a dig at you toby, just that your post stirred up a pet peeve of mine .

I love sports, I love Australian Football, and I love Richmond. I don't love the AFL. I don't like what is happening to the game. The umpiring falls each year. There is the common argument that the game is hard to officiate because of its rules that are open to interpretation, but the AFL is introducing these blanket interpretations like Hands in the Back and Protected Area that are ruining the game further.

I will always follow Richmond, and they will always be my number 1 sports team. I'll probably still always watch the footy, although I'm not sure it is any longer my favourite sport. I do know that it is the only sport where I will actually turn off a game because the officiating is too terrible to watch.

FWIW I like the introduction of free agency. 8 Years is a long time to wait, and even then the club can match, and by the time they are unrestricted free agents the team can put them on the veterans list. So it is still strongly in the clubs favour, they just don't hold all the cards anymore.

Sick of the AFL changing the rules to suit their new investment - while other clubs have had to wait over 30 years to win a flag.

The introduction o free agency to help support Gold Coast succeed, meaning that clubs "rebuilding" plans go out the window...

Constantly changing the rules to the point that players don't even understand them anymore....

seriously, can anyone be bothered? Do you think you just love richmond, or you actually love the game of AFL

if the tige's folded tomorrow, i can honestly say my interest in football would be about as high as my interest is for Baseball

im with ya bud. if not for what has been drummed into me about richmond you would not bother with this hybrid of what used to be football.

i know many who have already given up watching the crap.

I can see that fans would be pissed, I was enraged that we were the guinea pigs for some absurd rule changes that were no longer applied for balance of NAB cup. Facts are ALL clubs are exposed to the changing landscape, we can piss and moan but the RFC needs to bridge the gap. I saw NM kick geelongs arse on Sunday..a stronger side out there than what we put up...but something tells me we wouldnt have played the Cats like the roos did.

Ineresting the divergent approach both clubs have taken, the roos have been upbeat on their prospects whereas RFC has conditioned supporters to expect the worst...hmmm not sure where the precedents in world sport are for that type of approach.

So no, I am not fed up with afl, but I am growing increasingly frustrated at our lack of progress. If we do no good this year I may have to put up a ticket to challenge marchy

I wondered if Madtiger was going to do that... but I TOTALLY agree with you! There is no common sense anymore in them. The umpires are clueless.

Harden up Astro boy.

How can you just "not be bothered" with it any more.
If it is a game you love watching and Richmond is the team you love supporting ... what is wrong with that!

Even during low times at the club or insignificant changes by the AFL,
i find support should be at the highest.

I know when West Coast were getting smashed week in week out in 2008,
i loved going to home games as when you win, you appreciate it a hell of alot more .. that winning feeling.

Head up, and support your Tiges in 2010 .. as with my boy benny cuz!

Don't mention that World Cup line again:thumbsu:

I love the Tigers by a huge margin over any other sporting team in any of the other sports that interest me. But, yes, I have lost interest in the AFL. While I watch the Tigers religiously, I have little interest in any other games and if the Tiges were to fold, I would abandon the sport completely. The current administration is completely ****ing over the traditional clubs and the footballing public and if I didn't love the Tiges so much, I wouldn't bother.

It's really hard to believe that our national game, beloved by generations of fans, is at the mercy of a bunch of twits who are somehow allowed to tinker with rules and set up artificial clubs with ridiculous advantages and there's virtually nothing we can do about it.

We need a billionaire to come in and start a rival league that takes things back to the way they are supposed to be and puts the future of the game in the hands of the clubs and the fans.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's just you. You did move to QLD after all? :cool:
The preseason always exxaggerates new rules. It'll calm down in a month :thumbsu:

I was born in Melbourne, raised in Tassie then moved to Qld when i was 16 (nearly 12 years ago) and i still love the sport as much now as when i was a kid, perhaps even more.

im still yet to see the tiges win a premiership apart from my dvd of the '80 GF!!!

i started supporting the RFC when we were crap seen us in finals twice (excluding '82 when i was 2 months old!!!!!!) and now we are crap again. im not goin anywhere.

i love the sport and i love the Tigers:thumbsu:

that NAB cup loss just highlighted how over it i am. The umpiring ruins it big time. When i make my billions i will be setting up a rival league with whichever is the rival tv station and we will rake the fans in by the 100s of thousands :D

oh and the players will be women wearing skimpy shorts and tops. The ALFL (Australian Lingerie Football League - patterned after the US one).

that NAB cup loss just highlighted how over it i am. The umpiring ruins it big time. When i make my billions i will be setting up a rival league with whichever is the rival tv station and we will rake the fans in by the 100s of thousands :D

oh and the players will be women wearing skimpy shorts and tops. The ALFL (Australian Lingerie Football League - patterned after the US one).

you might be onto something there darth, you were talking birds though and not the fellas :eek: or league HQ would be in Paddington:p

i agree with you there the AFL will look after the new teams does anyone remember when tony lockett was sign by us there he was in the board room sitting in front of tiger head saying iam happy to sigh with RFC then a day later he with the sydney swans iam sure the AFL had something to do with that

To me AFL is becoming about as interesting as missionary sex with a prostitute.

The only people who still enjoy is are the one's who are desperate, have no pride or imagination, and are just happy to be getting laid one way or another - as they feel it gives their life or existence purpose.

....and yes, i'm talking about you MT:cool::)

seriously, if anyone can watch this game and not notice how tampered and diluted it has become to help the people at the top make more and more money to benefit themselves - they are just plain idiots and drones.

who can possibly enjoy something anymore once you know you are being deceived??

To me AFL is becoming about as interesting as missionary sex with a prostitute.

I'd be paying more attention to the whores your've been rooting champ:D
And yes I too, would cease to have any interest in Aussie rules if the tiges folded.

Looking forward to a great world cup 'though:cool:

Im not sure if its my age, disillusioned with the lack of personalities in cricket or what, but I havent watched a single minute of cricket since the tests finished. I used to love one-dayers more than tests but during Steve Waugh's reign I started to enjoy test cricket far more than the shorter game. Then along came 20/20 and i really lost interest.

Reason Im saying this is because I fear it may be the cynic growing in me with age, and I fear its happening with footy too, and not just because Richmond have been 30 years of chicken ****.

Watching Seven2 at nights and seeing footy even from the early 2000s just goes to show how ****ed up the admin have made this once was great game.

Just like cricket, footy is becoming void of personality or uniquness, its a watered down game for beige times.

paH! Im over the NAB Cup thats for sure. Our game's umpiring was a timely reminder not to bother with it (was there a published free count for our game or was it supressed? Im guessing it was ~ 50 against, 5 for the tigers) congrats to whoever christened it the Nob Cup. Seriously -there is a point to trialling various things- but they should work it through publically with some consultation 1st instead of coming up with ridiculous BS every year. Tho the 5m exclusion was just messed up in inturpretation its difficult to believe it was intended to be so poorly done - guess the umps need a practice too (and, delistings, penalties, suspensions !) Good point Australian Rules does NOT equal AFL, Im well over the AFL too. bring back curtain raisers or at least Ressies closers for games - at least occasionaly or at the G!!! GROW THE GAME AT ALL LEVELS !

for you Tiger diehards that would give up on the game without Richmond, well, ask an old Fitzroy fan (if u can find one)- Id be off to the VFL for my footy fix - less stars, more affordable. From here (Canberra ) Id just follow the Ainslie tricolours with a bit more attention I guess, and reckon Id find it hard to commit to another team (actually GWS it would be even though I firmly believe they should be scuttled - obviously couldnt barrack for any of the other Vic teams!)

Im not sure if its my age, disillusioned with the lack of personalities in cricket or what, but I havent watched a single minute of cricket since the tests finished. I used to love one-dayers more than tests but during Steve Waugh's reign I started to enjoy test cricket far more than the shorter game. Then along came 20/20 and i really lost interest.

Reason Im saying this is because I fear it may be the cynic growing in me with age, and I fear its happening with footy too, and not just because Richmond have been 30 years of chicken ****.

Watching Seven2 at nights and seeing footy even from the early 2000s just goes to show how ****ed up the admin have made this once was great game.

Just like cricket, footy is becoming void of personality or uniquness, its a watered down game for beige times.

yeah but the big boys only look at the stats dude. i.e. mum and 3 kids are coming to the games now and clapping their hands etc etc and singing along with the music. To the bog boys, the die hards are to far gone not to go to the footy, and those that dont are irrelevant in numbers. So the graph points up and thats all that matters.

i.e. AFL - WWF wrestling. What do want to give the fans now? and like clockwork, the umps start paying the frees this week, that were not paid last week. Get the picture? Its like the ref in wrestling banging the canvass for the 3 count and as he raises his arm for 3, he takes 10 while he asks questions and tells the dude that is about to win to take the hand from the throat dahdedahdedah and the guy that has supposedly been smashed and about to lose, heroically gets up and begins to overpower the other dude...the music starts, the fans are chanting and high fiving and rockets and flames are firing everywhere...lol;)

Welcome back dice.

We need the likes of you post here more often.

yeah but the big boys only look at the stats dude. i.e. mum and 3 kids are coming to the games now and clapping their hands etc etc and singing along with the music. To the bog boys, the die hards are to far gone not to go to the footy, and those that dont are irrelevant in numbers. So the graph points up and thats all that matters.

i.e. AFL - WWF wrestling. What do want to give the fans now? and like clockwork, the umps start paying the frees this week, that were not paid last week. Get the picture? Its like the ref in wrestling banging the canvass for the 3 count and as he raises his arm for 3, he takes 10 while he asks questions and tells the dude that is about to win to take the hand from the throat dahdedahdedah and the guy that has supposedly been smashed and about to lose, heroically gets up and begins to overpower the other dude...the music starts, the fans are chanting and high fiving and rockets and flames are firing everywhere...lol;)

100% spot on.

The game as we knew it is dead.

The alternative on show has the same name but clearly is a different sport.

All rather sad really.

100% spot on.

The game as we knew it is dead.

The alternative on show has the same name but clearly is a different sport.

All rather sad really.
Agree.
I hate saying this, but I actuallt don't like the game anymore. I'll watch RIchmond, but I'd rather perform surgery on my own pancreas than watch an AFL game between two other sides on TV.
Local footy is much better. Umpires don't over-officiate, they still it tough and you can drink heavy cans with your mates and walk home.

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL - Can you be bothered anymore?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back