philthie blues

Debutant
Oct 12, 2009
Carlton
AFL Club
Carlton
on the AFL website:

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/90716/default.aspx

interesting to note that only 1 of the other 15 captains have carlton making the 8. (strangely, 4 of them claim Port Adelaide wil be there)

we have been completely written off by our rivals. i think its a good thing. without massive expectation, we can just go about our business quietly and with less pressure.

on the AFL website:

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/90716/default.aspx

interesting to note that only 1 of the other 15 captains have carlton making the 8. (strangely, 4 of them claim Port Adelaide wil be there)

we have been completely written off by our rivals. i think its a good thing. without massive expectation, we can just go about our business quietly and with less pressure.

meh, they don't know squat!

Last year:

http://www.theage.com.au/news/news/captains-predictions/2009/03/19/1237055004280.html

AFL CAPTAINS’ PREDICTIONS FOR 2009 SEASON:
WHICH seven other clubs do you think can make this year’s top eight?

Carlton (15), Geelong (15), Hawthorn (15), Western Bulldogs (14), Collingwood (12), Port Adelaide (10), St Kilda (nine), Adelaide (six),
Brisbane Lions (four), Richmond (four), North Melbourne (three), Sydney (three), Essendon (one), Fremantle (one), Melbourne (nil), West Coast Eagles (nil).
WHICH other club is most likely to reach the grand final?
Geelong (14), Hawthorn (two).

WHO do you think will win the 2009 Brownlow Medal?
Gary Ablett (nine), Chris Judd (three), Jimmy Bartel (one), Lance Franklin (one), Brent Harvey (one), Matthew Richardson (one).

WHO do you think will win the 2009 Coleman Medal?
Brendan Fevola (10), Lance Franklin (five), Jarryd Roughead (one).

WHO do you think will win the 2009 AFL Rising Star?
Daniel Rich, Brisbane Lions (five); Jack Ziebell, North Melbourne (four); Dayne Beams, Collingwood (two); Jarrad Grant, Western Bulldogs (one); Stephen Hill, Fremantle (one); Michael Hurley, Essendon (one); Mitch Robinson, Carlton (one); Chris Yarran, Carlton (one).

My question is this: Do the AFL captains really give a damn about this survey? It looks to me as if they are just going on NAB cup form,

Also how is Fev supposed to win the Coleman Medal sharing his output with Jono Brown??

very interesting how 14 opposition captains have changed their mind about carltons prospects after 1 high profile departure.

surely 1 player isnt the diference between us pushing for top 4 one year (we were still in contention after rd 21) and being given no chance to make the 8 the next.

when you think we've also added McLean, Warnock, Henderson and Lucas and our young guns have an extra preseason under their belt.

there has been so much said about our prospects this year. Everyone has an opinion. Cant wait for the season to get underway to settle it once and for all.

I think its concerning, as they guys play against each other.

Its not the Fev thing in isolation, its been our inabillity to play a game style that suits the players we have. We still do not know what we stand for!

I think our team is good enough to finish top 6, extra year under the belt of our young list plus the inclusion of Mclean, Warnock, Waite, Walker, Jamieson should make us a better team to the one that finished last year.

If Ratten can't organise our troops like Neil Craig is able to do time and time again at Adelaide than he clearly is not the man for the job.

Its early days, and really no one knows too much at this stage. There is always suprises in every season.

All the captains can go by to date is the practice games and how the list looks on paper. Add to that a tough draw to start the season. Its all anyone has to go by.

Coming into the season, the forward line was obviously the big concern, and so far in every practice game it has proven to be correct. To say the forward line is a mess is a massive understatement. They haven't shown anything to suggest they can even kick enough to knock off Richmond.

I'm sorry but the opinions and thoughts of the other 15 AFL Captains carry a lot more weight for me then any BF poster here ... (certainly in terms of credibilty)

Why is it some fans cannot accept the honest brutal truth about Carlton's chances in 2010, even if it appears as 'negative' ???

For the record, I don't think we'll make the 8 either, the worries about the foward line are legitimate ones, and I expect Port Adelaide and Hawthorn to take Carlton and Essendon's spots in the eight.

I wish some fans would stop being so one-eyed and become more 'realistic' in their season expecations (for instance those few nutters who think we can finish in the top 4 this season)

I'm sorry but the opinions and thoughts of the other 15 AFL Captains carry a lot more weight for me then any BF poster here ... (certainly in terms of credibilty)

Why is it some fans cannot accept the honest brutal truth about Carlton's chances in 2010, even if it appears as 'negative' ???

For the record, I don't think we'll make the 8 either, the worries about the foward line are legitimate ones, and I expect Port Adelaide and Hawthorn to take Carlton and Essendon's spots in the eight.

I wish some fans would stop being so one-eyed and become more 'realistic' in their season expecations (for instance those few nutters who think we can finish in the top 4 this season)

So you'd like everyone to agree with you. Happy then?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Good. Underestimate Carlton at your own peril.

Nothing would be nicer than belting the living shit out of Richmond next week to prove everyone wrong.

Gee whiz, even Vermont or Noble Park from the Eastern Footy League could beat the living shit out of Richmond ...

The rnd 1 result will become meaningless if/when Carlton get pantsed by the likes of the Crows and Geelong in the month following the Tigers clash.

I have no idea why some fans have the urge to feel 'insulted' when most people in the football world are tipping Carlton not to make the 8.

It's actually a reasonable conclusion for most intelligent, pragmatic people to assume that Carlton will go backwards (for a year or two) following the depature of Fevola.

And nothing that Carlton has done in the pre-season games has done anything to suggest otherwise ..

Lucky I for one am grounded on planet reality, so I won't be surprised if things go belly up for the Blues in 2010 ..

So you'd like everyone to agree with you. Happy then?

No what I would like is for Carlton fans not to crack it every time there is an article or prediction printed in the media suggesting that Carlton won't make the 8

I would have though that predictions made by the Captains of the AFL has to have a lot of weight attached, instead of the tired and predictable retort 'they don't know squat'

Anyhow for the record here is my top 8 for 2010 (in order of ladder position at the end of 22 rnds)

1 St.Kilda
2 Adelaide
3 Geelong
4 Collingwood
5 Western Bulldogs
6 Brisbane Lions
7 Port Adelaide
8 Hawthorn

Carlton will finish somewhere between 9th and 12th ...

Gee whiz, even Vermont or Noble Park from the Eastern Footy League could beat the living shit out of Richmond ...

The rnd 1 result will become meaningless if/when Carlton get pantsed by the likes of the Crows and Geelong in the month following the Tigers clash.

I have no idea why some fans have the urge to feel 'insulted' when most people in the football world are tipping Carlton not to make the 8.

It's actually a reasonable conclusion for most intelligent, pragmatic people to assume that Carlton will go backwards (for a year or two) following the depature of Fevola.

And nothing that Carlton has done in the pre-season games has done anything to suggest otherwise ..

Lucky I for one am grounded on planet reality, so I won't be surprised if things go belly up for the Blues in 2010 ..

You are so grounded on planet Reality that you were saying that we had no chance against your 'old' club and that we should be happy with only a 5 goal kicking.

Funny... but in a way you were right... we gave your 'old' club a 5 goal kicking and we loved it :D

So... if you are saying we are going backwards for a year or two, that means we will be playing finals again this year.

I think that Carlton will be taking each game one at a time.

Well I certainly hope we are thereabouts come round 22, otherwise it is going to be one very depressing Sunday arvo match to attend...

Is it wrong to be hoping to finish 7th again, and 1 place behind the Eagles? :eek:

You are so grounded on planet Reality that you were saying that we had no chance against your 'old' club and that we should be happy with only a 5 goal kicking.

Funny... but in a way you were right... we gave your 'old' club a 5 goal kicking and we loved it :D

So... if you are saying we are going backwards for a year or two, that means we will be playing finals again this year.

I think that Carlton will be taking each game one at a time.

Can you guys let it go - we have heard it a million times.

I have seen you post this a few times now. Would you mind naming those "nutters" who have allegedly stated they think we can finish in the Top 4 this season. I must admit I have yet to see any Carlton supporters predict this.

Don't write Blues off: Chris Judd
"There's been a lot of doom and gloom around the footy club, but essentially from our point of view it's a pretty exciting time," he said.

"We're in a new facility, we've got (experienced recruits) Robbie Warnock and Brock McLean, who have never played a senior AFL game for the club.

"Chris Yarran and Mitch Robinson, these guys are a year older and a year more mature, and some other players have had some really big pre-seasons as well."

"We want to improve, we want to play finals and everyone's working hard to ensure that happens," Judd said.

"The first eight rounds are pretty tough, if last season's form is anything to go by, which it isn't always," Judd said.

"But it is very important to win games early on in the year and sort of set your season up."

"When you have Brendan there, Setanta's never played full-forward before or Lachie Henderson playing under Jonathan Brown and Daniel Bradshaw, he was sort of starved of opportunities," he said.

"It's going to be a different experience for a lot of players."

"Now we get a chance to really show how far we've come and that the group and the forward line is capable of working without Fev."
Don't write Blues off: Chris Judd

The Herald-Sun always take an angle that appeals to the Collingwood, Richmond and Essendon readership that makes up most of their blue collar readers.

Video:Juddy brings the funny

Remove this Banner Ad

Review afl captains 2010 predictions

Remove this Banner Ad

Back