froars

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 24, 2003
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond
Now I don't know if he's been fined for bringing the game into disrepute, but how come Jason Dunstall can swear on radio and carry on like an absolute knob and Ben gets fined and he doesn't.

AFL, please explain :D

:)THE same way they can supposedly frown upon rough play and reduce physical contact to an absolute farce, while at the same time chalk up huge profits on the sale of DVDs featuring 70s and 80s footage of guys belting the absulte crap out of each other.
On one hand we're cleaning up the game, but on the other revelling in the past because there'sa dollar to be made!!!!!
Everything they do is a double standard!!!

How much did Fev get fined for walking around Federation square in a dress and a strap on dildo during the middle of the day? Pretty sure it was nothing.

How much did Didak get fined for taking a drunken joyride with men who were shooting at police cars? Pretty sure it was nothing.

Simpson and Pratt were fined $5k each for making the chicken video.

Graham Johncock was fined $1500 by the Crows and nothing by the AFL for drunk driving that resulted in him smashing into two parked cars and then lying to police about what happened.

Mark McVeigh was fined $900 for making an obscene gesture to the crowd during a match.

The list goes on and on.

It's bullshit. Who actually cares? Who would have actually been offended by it?

If he gets fined he should appeal it on principle alone! There seems to be a set of rules for ben cousins and a set of rules for the rest of the afl playing fraternity.

Cousins had the guts to admit he had a problem despite never testing positive. For this he is continually being slaughtered by the media, by demetriou and by some disgraceful opposition fans (*cough* freo fans *cough*). If it wasn't be cousins, the footage would have never gone to air! It sends an awful message to other players who may have similar drug problems: we don't care if you test positive a couple of times as long as you hide your addiction. I have no doubt that reports several players have tested positive up to 5 times are accurate given their record when it comes to sweeping these things under the rug.

The only people who (possibly) deserve to be fined for bringing the game into disrepute are the channel 10 people responsible for airing the footage.

If he gets fined he should appeal it on principle alone! There seems to be a set of rules for ben cousins and a set of rules for the rest of the afl playing fraternity.

Cousins had the guts to admit he had a problem despite never testing positive. For this he is continually being slaughtered by the media, by demetriou and by some disgraceful opposition fans (*cough* freo fans *cough*). If it wasn't be cousins, the footage would have never gone to air! It sends an awful message to other players who may have similar drug problems: we don't care if you test positive a couple of times as long as you hide your addiction. I have no doubt that reports several players have tested positive up to 5 times are accurate given their record when it comes to sweeping these things under the rug.

The only people who (possibly) deserve to be fined for bringing the game into disrepute are the channel 10 people responsible for airing the footage[/U].
Here here .

It friggin incences me that Channel ten ...."by Choice" ... chose to air it ... "thus" ... making a story out of it .

i`ll give you a hypothetical ...

Say it was ..."The Fev" ... who flipped the bird at the camera ...imagine that conversation in the Channel Ten tea room/Carlton cotorie ...

.....Michael Christian ....."Look Andy ... Fev just flipped the bird at the camera "

Andrew Maher ..."What a p1sser , gee his funny"

MC... "Should we give it an airing on the fifth quarter tonight ... get a few laughs ?"

AM .... "Nah better not ... the big fella will get the shit ... "

I think the club should offer no co-operation with that channel and in particular the 5th quarter/Before the game ...

Time to make a stand

(Log in to remove this ad.)

it's got nothing to do with being Richmond and everything to do with who it was. The AFL are a total joke. How is it conceivably possible a bloke can cop a 10k fine for that???

The AFL and society have gone stark raving mad :mad:
Correct.

The response of the AFL to this is just disgraceful. Thankfully at least one person in the media, Geg Baum in the Age today, has taken the AFL and Channel 10 to task on this.

What is this bizarre desire to persecute Ben Cousins at every opportunity?

There surely must be some recourse that he has to the constant pursuit of what really is his personal entitlement to privacy. Two hours before the game he was entitled to think that, that footage would not have been aired publically.

Give him a break for goodness sake.

If we are going to slag off the AFL for giving him a suspended fine, then we need to be mindful that the club itself imposed an even harsher penalty.

I don't even think Dunstall should be fined, but if the AFL fine one for one indiscretion, surely they should do it for all and not just the players. The club's another issue, that's an internal thing.

I don't even think Dunstall should be fined, but if the AFL fine one for one indiscretion, surely they should do it for all and not just the players. The club's another issue, that's an internal thing.
Personally I cannot stand Dunstall. Arrogant flog who thinks he above and beyond everybody. Brereton is the same. They try to be bullies, and unfortunately, they are successful bullies most of the time.
Quartermain was within his rights to ask that question. Croad's injury is a worry, but Dunstall, instead of answering the question, got defensive and then aggressive because he didn't want to answer the question.
Whether the AFL has the grounds to impose a penalty on Dunstall I don't know. I wouldn't have thought so. He was acting in his capacity as a radio broadcaster I would have thought. Cousins had a RFC guernsey on.
The debate can go on whether 10 should have shown the footage. The fact is Cousins was stupid in what he did. Downright silly. If he had have smiled in a sarcastic manner at the camera instead of flipping the bird, nothing would have been said. He needs to be more clever than that.

I was a player, I'd throw a towel over the camera.
In fact the camera should not be in the change rooms anyway.
Christ knows what goes on in that van when the footage beams in of players in various states on undress.
I'm sure the AFL and the clubs signed off on some official document okaying that camera to be there. But it shouldn't. It's a violation of privacy.

I`m sorry Tugga ... but how can you say this

The fact is Cousins was stupid in what he did. Downright silly. If he had have smiled in a sarcastic manner at the camera instead of flipping the bird, nothing would have been said. He needs to be more clever than that.

... and then come up with that

I was a player, I'd throw a towel over the camera.
In fact the camera should not be in the change rooms anyway.
Christ knows what goes on in that van when the footage beams in of players in various states on undress.
I'm sure the AFL and the clubs signed off on some official document okaying that camera to be there. But it shouldn't. It's a violation of privacy.

Totally contradictory .

Do you ... in all honesty ... believe that no other player has ever done exactly what Ben Cousins did ?

Channel 10 made a story out of it ... not Ben Cousins

I`m sorry Tugga ... but how can you say this

... and then come up with that

Totally contradictory .

Do you ... in all honesty ... believe that no other player has ever done exactly what Ben Cousins did ?

Channel 10 made a story out of it ... not Ben Cousins
I obviosuly didn't make myself clear enough.
Cousins knew a camera was there. He shouldn't have done it. If there was even the remote possibility of it going to air (which there obviously was) he would have known. Either that or he is just plain stupid.
With regards to throwing the towel over the camera, it was a thinly veiled swipe at the fact that I protest there is a camera in the room in the first place. Surely the players are entitled to some sort of privacy when dressing/undressing?
The fact is Iddy, that it was Ben Cousins. Of course they are going to find any excsuse to show him a bad light.
Channel 10 was wrong to show the footage. But no more wrong than Cousins was in the first place.
FFS, he's on his last chance. Keep your head down Ben!

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL - Double Standards

Remove this Banner Ad

Back