Recruiting AFL Draft Watch 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

We don't really have a genuine KPF still, Wright can do a solid job but needs help (and isn't a long-term player), and Morris is no bigger than Langford.

To play as a KPF at that height you need serious tricks, otherwise we end up stuck in the 'we have too many medium forwards' no mans land yet again.
Even tall players need serious tricks to be a threat up forward. People obsess over height like it’s all you need but the factors that make the biggest difference are forward craft and athleticism imo

Lloyd is a genuine KF
Whats this based on Eth? Ive never seen him but i think he has Morris by 1.5cm

And without measuring Morris looks to have reach in those arms, almost as important as height, but my eye could be wrong there

Ewan Smith and Weatherill the other KPFs to consider

Weatherill really came on late and i believe he's still just 17 and hes 197 a good size

People have gone from over rating Harry Jones to under estimating him very quickly. All he needs is a fair run at it and hes a solid 2nd tall

We have misused the Cat B list so strangely I feel. Aside from 20 odd games from Ben McNeice (who was playing VFL), have we produced anyone genuinely as a prospect?

I feel like we should just be going out and finding the most hyper athletic 6'6" or taller prospects that are late to footy or playing another sport like basketball that we can find. I think we tried it once with Luke Lavender(?) And haven't tried since.
Have not looked looked but I suspect the Irish players dominate the cat B success rate overall.

And without measuring Morris looks to have reach in those arms, almost as important as height, but my eye could be wrong there

Weatherill really came on late and i believe he's still just 17 and hes 197 a good size

People have gone from over rating Harry Jones to under estimating him very quickly. All he needs is a fair run at it and hes a solid 2nd tall
Lloyd plays like a traditional forward. Smart forward craft for a young bloke. Leads to good spots and has works up the ground well. Has questions on his pace and is not in the super tall range but he is a strong contested mark .
He is sort of a less dynamic Caddy. If Lloyd did not get injured and miss the first seven rounds I suspect he makes the Vic Metro side for some games and would be rated a lot higher.

I saw a couple of his games at De La.

Whilst he isn't a monster, he has multiple tricks to mark and kick a set shot. Leads hard at the ball, and very strong in a pack situation as well. Put some size on him and watch him flourish.

Even tall players need serious tricks to be a threat up forward. People obsess over height like it’s all you need but the factors that make the biggest difference are forward craft and athleticism imo

I agree, but you do need at least one or two genuine marking targets up forward and outside of Wright we really don't have that right now and are heavily reliant on one of Jones or Hunter coming good. Langford is at best a 2nd target, but ideally your 3rd.

Jack Reiwoldt was only 193cm but had a seriously high football IQ and held that Richmond forward-line together for a long time. Langford is good, but not that good. If someone is in that < 195cm range playing as a 'key' forward they need to have something genuinely elite to make it work. Nick Reiwoldt's tank and Jack Reiwoldt's smarts allowed them to play that role, whereas when you're in that high 190s / 200cm and 100kg range you can get away with having a lot less standout attributes because 'size' itself is an attribute (e.g. Harry McKay is mostly just big).

We'll likely be picking between 3 of Windsor, Wilson and O'Sullivan, one of which probably lasts to Adelaide's pick and then take Archer Reid at 20 (25 really)
You reckon one of them lasts if we slide back 5 picks?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Is 14 and 20 for 9 even that good of a deal?
It is if you think you'll get a similar standard of player at 14.

Edit: it will also be the first pick of night 2 (unless they've changed it) which often sees teams pay overs to get it.

Last edited:
solid addition to the discussion

Probably costs the club 100k a year to have someone on the rookie list, if they’re no where near it but we get priority access to them, they’re still nowhere near it.

Is 14 and 20 for 9 even that good of a deal?

More to the point, it's only really worth doing if we know we can move one of the 2nd rounders, otherwise we get stuck with a decent but useless draft pick in the late 30s.

It hasn't been mentioned but it seems far more reasonable to me to look at bundling up 31 and 35 for something in the mid-early 20s and then go in with 9, 22 (ish?) and 61 as a roughie pick.

Probably costs the club 100k a year to have someone on the rookie list, if they’re no where near it but we get priority access to them, they’re still nowhere near it.
probably,It does add another talented kid outside the normal pathways that is actually worth a spot. I can see us taking a punt on one of Naim or Taha

Remove this Banner Ad

Recruiting AFL Draft Watch 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

Back