AFL Draw - You cant have your cake and eat it too

Remove this Banner Ad

Personally, I think Melbourne should be pushing to play all the top teams so that they get more exposure and more fans. It might be hard in the short-term.

Getting belted every week by the better teams isn't going to do much to attract more fans though.

Build a bridge. Not everyone is willing to put up all of their time to watch a team that was historically bad in 2013. I went to 8 games, but I sure as hell know a lot of Dees supporters that turned off after Queen's Birthday because they simply couldn't be stuffed wasting their time on a weekend.

But regardless, that's not the point. Seven of our eleven home games were against sides not from Melbourne - the only non-Victorian team we didn't play a home game against in 2013 was Adelaide. Then, with the four remaining home games, we received two of the other small Melbourne sides in North and the Bulldogs.

Add to this the days of the games. 7 of the games were a Sunday game. 2 of those Sunday games were twilight games. Our Round 1 opener was a game at lunchtime on Easter Sunday against an interstate side - not exactly a recipe for a high draw. But the ultimate kicker was Mother's Day. 4.40pm on Mother's Day against the Gold Coast Suns. 13,000 showed up that day. It's comfortably the worst-drawing day in football already, but thrown on top was playing in the worst-drawing timeslot against one of the lowest-drawing teams because it's an expansion side.

Melbourne also received only one home "prime-time" slot all season. 7.40pm on a Saturday against the Western Bulldogs.

Coupled with the deplorable on-field situation, we were probably lucky to only lose $1million. I was horrified when I saw the draw initially.
Typical pampered Victorian supporter.
Boo hoo, we played at the Dome. We don't like the Dome.
Boo hoo, Sunday twilight, boo hoo, Saturday afternoon when I have to take the kids to their footy / go shopping / clean my car.
Boo hoo, it was really cold and it was Mother's Day and we played an interstate team and I only get the chance to see my team 18 times a year plus all the other great blockbusters like ANZAC Day, Dreamtime, Hawks v Cats etc...
Try being a supporter from WC where you get to see your team 11 times a year if you can get tickets (or one of the old codgers dies and frees a seat up), and you pay through the nose when you do.
Then you have the temerity to complain about crowd numbers and you don't even turn up! You wonder why you get the rubbish time slots, there's your answer.

The problem might be that its egg and chicken.... you need to get a crowd to games before you can start talking about equality

Statistically our supporters are THE most likely to become members.

And since when was equality about how much money you earned your employer? I guess some clubs are more equal than others.

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/no-easy-draw-for-the-top-sides-in-2013-20121031-28iml.html
DRAW-FOR-ONLINE.jpg

The above table highlights how distorted the draw makes the AFL. If North had Port's draw they would have made the finals. A couple of years ago, Adelaide made the top four at West Coasts expense because of the draw.

I wish the AFL would seriously look at this. There are solutions other than simply having each team play each other twice.

The above table highlights how distorted the draw makes the AFL. If North had Port's draw they would have made the finals. A couple of years ago, Adelaide made the top four at West Coasts expense because of the draw.

I wish the AFL would seriously look at this. There are solutions other than simply having each team play each other twice.

THe problem is the method of working it out. That chart is based on places on the 2012 ladder. Port is given 5 points when they should be 14 for this year. Adelaide is given 16 points for this year when it ended up being 8 points. North only played Port once and Adelaide twice so that bumps up their total enormously.....their total is decreased 16 from the Adelaide contests and is increased only 9 from playing Port once.....so their total is reduced by 7. Now I know I should have worked it out for all the teams they played but its an indication that the Age's methodology is flawed...

THe problem is the method of working it out. That chart is based on places on the 2012 ladder. Port is given 5 points when they should be 14 for this year. Adelaide is given 16 points for this year when it ended up being 8 points. North only played Port once and Adelaide twice so that bumps up their total enormously.....their total is decreased 16 from the Adelaide contests and is increased only 9 from playing Port once.....so their total is reduced by 7. Now I know I should have worked it out for all the teams they played but its an indication that the Age's methodology is flawed...

So, you want the AFL to create the 2014 ladder based on results in 2014?

no, I want the premiership for the next 5 years to be awarded to the Pies tomorrow morning at 10am...

They were going to award the next 5 to Collingwood tomorrow, but they didn't Eddie which teams they've give them to and he thought it would be unfair and vetoed it. He's now trying to find a way to veto his veto.

I like footy, but seriously, this same issue year after year about who is facing who and how many times without any systematic formula to it (like what the NFL has) is just a farce.

This thing about splitting the league into weighted groups is BS as you know the AFL will break their own rules to always ensure that Carlton/Collingwood/Essendon play each other twice when this system fails to produce those fixtures in a given year.

If you want your annual blockbusters twice, time to bring in divisions to at least justify it, with a formula in place to ensure sides play sides out of their division an equal amount of times.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I fail to see in the article where the clubs are 'complaining'

you're absolutely right!.... I notice that you're an admin..... I unreservedly withdraw any accusations that I have made that clubs are complaining. I wish to totally retrace my footsteps and withdraw to a dark hole for the next day or two. I dont know what came over me.

Oh boy I was worried. OP when I noticed you were a pie supporter I have to admit to total surprise when you mentioned you could read and were going to work! I had thought the natural order of the universe just got turned on its head but then you saved the day about mentioning your anger issues and balance was restored :p

Did you see the Dees draw last season?

Port at the MCG on Easter Sunday
Gold Coast at the MCG at 4.40 on Mother's Day
GWS at the G
Freo at the G
West Coast at the G
North at Etihad, Dees home game
Dogs at the G
Hawthorn at the G on a Sunday

It almost certainly directly led to the Dees losing a million bucks.

I'm not saying I want double ups against the big sides, but some fairness when it comes to giving Melbourne a couple more decent drawing home games would be nice. We had 2 in 2013 in theory (Hawthorn and QBD) and the dire onfield performance meant no Hawthorn supporters showed up to the Hawks game either.

On the other hand, that draw is super soft if on field success is wanted. that's the trade off.

There were many games that North choked away. Adelaide finished below them and the couldn't seal that game. Win that and they make finals.

On the other hand, that draw is super soft if on field success is wanted. that's the trade off.

Yeah, if we were half decent it would be a great draw. But its shite for money and development.

Likewise, its balls for retaining players.

If you play for the MFC, you won't get to go out most Saturday nights. Whereas you can walk to Collingwood and be guaranteed to be able to party in Melbourne every Saturday night.

Build a bridge. Not everyone is willing to put up all of their time to watch a team that was historically bad in 2013. I went to 8 games, but I sure as hell know a lot of Dees supporters that turned off after Queen's Birthday because they simply couldn't be stuffed wasting their time on a weekend.

But regardless, that's not the point. Seven of our eleven home games were against sides not from Melbourne - the only non-Victorian team we didn't play a home game against in 2013 was Adelaide. Then, with the four remaining home games, we received two of the other small Melbourne sides in North and the Bulldogs.

Add to this the days of the games. 7 of the games were a Sunday game. 2 of those Sunday games were twilight games. Our Round 1 opener was a game at lunchtime on Easter Sunday against an interstate side - not exactly a recipe for a high draw. But the ultimate kicker was Mother's Day. 4.40pm on Mother's Day against the Gold Coast Suns. 13,000 showed up that day. It's comfortably the worst-drawing day in football already, but thrown on top was playing in the worst-drawing timeslot against one of the lowest-drawing teams because it's an expansion side.

Melbourne also received only one home "prime-time" slot all season. 7.40pm on a Saturday against the Western Bulldogs.

Coupled with the deplorable on-field situation, we were probably lucky to only lose $1million. I was horrified when I saw the draw initially.

Hawthorn and its supporters built a bridge back in 97 Striker.
Get too it.

I like footy, but seriously, this same issue year after year about who is facing who and how many times without any systematic formula to it (like what the NFL has) is just a farce.

This thing about splitting the league into weighted groups is BS as you know the AFL will break their own rules to always ensure that Carlton/Collingwood/Essendon play each other twice when this system fails to produce those fixtures in a given year.

If you want your annual blockbusters twice, time to bring in divisions to at least justify it, with a formula in place to ensure sides play sides out of their division an equal amount of times.
This post makes too much sense!

I wonder if the current weghting will survive once gc and gws rise to the top part of the ladder ?

It strikes me that the current rebuilding teams are starved of a chunk of talent over the past few seasons, less able to challenge the current ladder leaders. There was lways a bottom eight team getting into the top four and this may have to be assisted by drew weghting.

Call me cynical but once gws and gc are topnteams it wont be seen as a neccessity

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL Draw - You cant have your cake and eat it too

Remove this Banner Ad

Back