AFL Evolution - Launch thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
What do you think?

From memory you hated AFL Live 2 and returned it straight away.

The cynic in me says enough people don't return the game and everyone involved can simply shell out a shitty product and make money on it; there's no need to pour too much into it because the market will buy it regardless.

The thing is, apparently Live 2 set some record at EB for how many copies were returned. Surely seeing figures like that would send a message that you can't just peddle crap to people. Seems not, however.

Most of the issues should of been picked up in QA. unless they didnt have any and we are paying BETA testers.
I'm pretty sure they at least tested the final version of this game on Xbox, because a week ago 3 people had played it (2 of them played an online game together) and I'm assuming they were devs giving the game a final test.

Sounds like they missed a lot of issues that should never have made it into the final game though. Watching the streams, I probably saw 5 instances at least of the CPU missing a set shot from 10m out. It's laughable that something like that makes it through. Also saw another one where Gunston handballed it through for a behind from 20m out.

yeh, i'm going to quote this from the official FB page for evolution...

"People have to remember how little of a budget they had to make this... no where near the same amount of money EA or 2K have.
Its a step to bigger and better things as long as they bring a new one out every year and make it better each time
1f642.png
:)

This is still fun even though it has a few expected floors that im sure they will fix
1f642.png
:)!"

What was their budget? And how many sales will they get?

Also, if it's so hard for a small-time Aussie dev to get gameplay right, how did BA, in their first attempt six years ago, produce a game with better gameplay than anything WW has produced, despite WW having made several attempts.

You only have to spend 5 minutes in the pre release thread to realize the loooooong list of things people wanted/expected it to include.
Everything ultimately hinges on gameplay. You can have all the game modes and teams you like, but if the game itself is frustrating to play, people won't come back. This is demonstrated in this thread. People are trashing it because of fundamental flaws in the game, not because it's missing game modes. This is the same mistake they made with Live 2.

What was their budget? And how many sales will they get?

Also, if it's so hard for a small-time Aussie dev to get gameplay right, how did BA, in their first attempt six years ago, produce a game with better gameplay than anything WW has produced, despite WW having made several attempts.

I love AFL Live 1, but there were people up in arms over that too. The marking in particular was a sore point until it was eventually fixed.

Everything ultimately hinges on gameplay. You can have all the game modes and teams you like, but if the game itself is frustrating to play, people won't come back. This is demonstrated in this thread. People are trashing it because of fundamental flaws in the game, not because it's missing game modes. This is the same mistake they made with Live 2.

Agreed. I'd be happy with an offline exhibition mode and an online multiplayer mode and that's it.

In saying that. My short experience with this game has been ok so far.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bugs/design problems I have found so far:
  • Marking/spoiling is busted (especially in be a pro)
  • AI players run and carry too much. If they are in space they will look for a handball target (including handballing backwards into traffic) rather than kick long inside 50.
  • Superstars will be replaced too easily by you in be a pro
  • Camera angles are a huge problem.
  • Elementary shots on goal sprayed. Impossible goals kicked.

Last edited:
Just for a sec I actually wanna hear from people who are enjoying the game and the reasons why; it might help me enjoy it more too.

I certainly don't think it's amazing but I don't think it's crap either.

I do think there's a lot of hyperbole in the thread but the turnaround from "it actually seems alright, best AFL game yet" to "worst game ever" is quite astounding. WW would be having a torrid time reading all this

Don't understand the hyperbole. It's fine. There are moments where you can actually feel really in control and a well worked attack is satisfying, just that those are too few and far between amongst what amount to a 'who has more at the ball' contests. Marking is certainly a frustrating point, particularly defensively, but I feel it's geared towards the attacking team so that cuts both ways.

Would love to be able to pick who does my kick outs and not just have it be fullback, and have struggled to get interchange to work, but the satisfying moments are frequent enough that I'm sticking with it for the first few patches etc.

If I'm being honest one of my biggest sticking points is the soundtrack. It has twice as many songs as AFL Live, but that's still only 4 songs. Surely hit up Unearthed and see if any local rock acts would give up a song for the chance to be featured.

To give an idea on how be a pro is.

I played a 10 minute qtr game in the VFL on Medium.

Final scores:
Port Melbourne 9.20 (74)
Northern Blues 6.11 (47)

Me as a rover: 66 disposals, 18 marks, 11 tackles, 4 goals 2 behinds.
My direct opponent: 67 disposals, 36 marks (i swear that's wrong), 10 tackles, 1 goal 1 behind.

I'm guessing stats are broken too.

So I spent most of the day at work reading through this thread, finding my expectations lowering as I progressed through the pages. Finally got home, had a chance to some game time in. After a little while of messing about on Easy against various opponents, I decided to just say **** it, and launched a coach career on Medium difficulty with the Bulldogs.

Starting the game with the simple hope that it would be playable, I've found myself to be pleasantly surprised. It's definitely not perfect, not by a long shot, but I think (from a first impression at least), that it's the best AFL game I've played (tried everything from AFL 98 to Live 1).

Quick thoughts from a JLT game with 10min qtrs, Med difficulty:
  • Being able to run and handball your way out of stoppages is great fun, though player speeds do need some adjusting - I had Max Gawn leaving midfielders in the dust, only to be run down by his opposing ruckman
  • It seems to me that the AI is programmed to miss deliberately, in an attempt at avoiding the scores we saw in previous games where they'd be dead-eye dicks. Jesse Hogan missed two from the goal square in the space of two minutes
  • I had no problems with marking, I used the hold & release method mentioned earlier in this thread and was able to outmark defenders repeatedly (Boyd, Stringer, Cloke & Dickson took 21 marks between them)
  • On Medium difficulty, it felt like the ruck contests were far too easy - ended up with Roughead having 49 hitouts vs Gawn's 3
  • Whether it was simply my play style or not, who knows, but I was finding the CHF to be getting waaaay too many possessions - Cloke ended up with 30 disposals (highest on the ground)
  • The interchange is broken as hell. Set it to full auto, and saw four changes all game (one due to injury). Stringer kicked 6 in the first three quarters, then spent the entire last on the bench. Mitch Wallis only came on to the ground for the first time with about 30 seconds to go in the last
  • The advantage rule needs patching ASAP. It's basically if you pick it up after a kick is paid, it's advantage - no matter the situation. Got done HTB at least 3-4 times because of this
  • I had to mute the commentary within the first couple of minutes. I knew it was going to be bad, but holy shit. Whoever thought Richo's work was acceptable needs firing.
  • There is the capability here to create some great highlight moments. Kicked a supergoal with Bont after a fend off, weaved through three opponents and nailed one from 60m on the burst out of the middle. Felt awesome. Then had to watch as Garlett tapped it ahead of himself twice, Matty Boyd hot on his heels before curling one through from 30m away on the boundary.
I was also very surprised with the end result - I seemed to notice a few posts complaining that Easy was laughable, whilst even just Medium difficulty was ridiculously impossible. I ended up winning 1.22.13.154 to 0.9.10.64. Just exploded in the second half - was 63 - 41 at HT.

All in all IMO, it's nowhere near as horrendous and unforgivable as some are making it out to be. Patching the interchange and the advantage rule would make for significant improvements and overall, I'm finding it to be quite fun.

Sorry but this is as good as it gets boyz for AFL, bug ant do a better job? Lol have you seen don bradman cricket 17?

Find a few dice and footy cards - you'll get a better gaming experience than this bug infested, over priced hot steaming pile of ....

Aussie developers need to realise they cant hack it in the gaming market. And so do consumers. Stop wasting your money.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was really looking forward to be a pro mode but its barely playable. Every single kick gets marked no matter how many people are around the contest. I dont reckon i saw one spoil in the 3 games i played. Seems the only way to get the ball is either take a contested mark or get the cheap run around handball. It also sucks that when you tap to call for the ball on a lead the player will kick it to where you clicked the button instead of putting it in front of you. The camera is useless, you cant see anything and when a change of posession happens it will turn the camera and you will end up running the other way. Also that stupid thing where if your player goes off then your pretty much done unless you want to watch the game.

Mixed feelings so far, just seems to be a slightly upgraded version of live 2. Dont wanna bash these guys though. Considering the sort of budget they are on they have done an extremely good job. Just a few things need tidying up

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back