AFL Evolution - Launch thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've come to accept that muting the commentary is the only sane way to play this game in hour-long blocks. Richo was a horrible choice, but I'm also a 2K fanatic and shouldn't compare, but BOY OH BOY WOWEEEEEE......
Turned it off the other day because I was listening to a podcast, have felt no urge to switch it back on yet. I feel like them using jokey lines and Cometti-isms makes it worse than if it was just AFL 98 style "Talia, kicks long, Lever takes the mark, handpasses, Douglas, kicks, Walker!" As boring and mundane as it is, it's probably less grating than the supposed funny lines, which were already annoying when IR Gurus first used them. If you're going that way, you have to record a metric buttload so that we're not hearing the same things every few games.

Yeah full customisation isn't necessary, considering probably 90% of footy jumpers follow a standard pattern. I feel like a broken record saying it (been saying it since before AFL2 came out), but all we need is a similar thing to Ultimate Footy.

rfe9dv8.gif

Basic designs, pick your colours. Basic designs aren't trademarked, if they were half the country footy clubs would be shut down. It seems pretty inexcusable in a game that prided itself so much on the character creation that the team creation is at best an afterthought.

Something as simple as this would be perfect.

Such a cop out these, "You just don't know how to play the game" arguments. And then he says Live 1 wasn't all that great. I'd like to agree, but to insinuate Evolution is better is just absurd.
Live 1 wasn't all that great, it's just been better than everything before and after it.

Has anyone figured out a way to defend against the inevitable soccer goals when the AI is anywhere within 15m from goal? I thought I'd try tapping the ball along the ground over the line last night, I beat the forward to the ball by a split second and tapped it about a metre over the line and was pinged for a deliberate behind. As far as I could tell that was the only defence that was in any way effective. Anyone got any other ideas? Or is it just a foregone conclusion that they'll soccer a goal anytime they're within 15m?

We get it! You hate the game! Big Ant would be a 1000x better in your opinion. We've heard it 300+ times. Do something else besides whining!!!!

I stated in that petition thread that you bumped because "AFL De-evolution is so crap" that you're better off starting a campaign to petition the AFL to fund more into their games or To approach BigAntStudios with everyone else who really wants Big Ant back about making another pitch for the AFL game rights besides posting the same crap day-in, day-out.

Jesus, It's almost like you're getting paid for this. No person has this amount of time available in a day or the absolute care to post the same amount of posts everyday with the same subject. ("AFL De-evolution is a reskinned AFL Live 2. Big Ant would have done much better than Wicked Witch and we should all beg and plead Tru Blu to bring them back as AFL Live was a 1,000,000x better than AFL De-evolution.") If you're really that concerned about the quality of AFL video games and you really want to move Heaven and Earth to get back Big Ant to make another AFL game in-between their busy schedule of creating the Don Bradman and Rugby League Live series because you see Wicked Witch as the Anti-Christ of AFL Gaming.

Get off your arse and do something about it!!!!

You're not going to achieve anything if you keep posting that childish drivel! There are better ways for you to use your time than telling everyone that you hate AFL Evolution... Sorry "AFL De-evolution" for the 25th time this week. WE GET IT!!!!

Move on!

Jesus, At least the other guys who don't like the game at least provide actual criticism.

I love this post.

I'm not someone who's comparing the game at all to the 2K/EA counterparts.

But I just can't get into it - the camera angels aren't great. Why not have a simple 'hold to rotate' sort of thing that can be implemented.

I hate that it's 18 one on one contests but I do enjoy the ball movement in general link up play - even if trying to create space and a free player side or slightly forward (forget backwards) of the ball is very difficult.
Considering that's how any game of AFL is played for the large part - not being able to adapt to the modern game, even so slightly, is an oversight and probably hard to fix in a patch.

There's positives to be had, but when it doesn't feel like a game of footy outside of handball chains it's a bit disappointing.
I'll give it a bit of time though and see what the first patch or two holds.

The man on man contests remind me more of the early 2000's era more than anything. But I do love out-bodying someone during a marking contest (bump them out of the way, sometimes get called for charging... sometimes not lol).

In terms of the game opening up, I've had a few instances where I've been able to bob it over a contest and the player on my team is able to run on to the loose ball and finish off the play, just like one current 2016-17 strategy teams use.

I've come to accept that muting the commentary is the only sane way to play this game in hour-long blocks. Richo was a horrible choice, but I'm also a 2K fanatic and shouldn't compare, but BOY OH BOY WOWEEEEEE......

Muted the commentary in my very first game, have not turned it back on. The only time I've heard it is during live streams or watching other youtube highlights.

Last edited:
Anyone notice that while you can edit the playing weight of the male players, you are unable to edit the playing weight of the females, whether they're a licensed player or a created player.

Political correctness gone too far?

Is there actually a way to smother the ball or is it all just luck. The match objective to smother 2 balls keeps coming up for me to do, I end up getting one smother without actually doing anything that I am aware of, but surely if it's an objective there would be a way to actually do it...right?

Is there actually a way to smother the ball or is it all just luck. The match objective to smother 2 balls keeps coming up for me to do, I end up getting one smother without actually doing anything that I am aware of, but surely if it's an objective there would be a way to actually do it...right?
Just have to be in the right spot on the game will attempt it automatically.

When I was playing last night my player did a smother, I have no idea how I did it, but my player crouched over with both arms lifted and smothered the ball.

Not sure whether it was automatic or I did something to trigger it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Anyone notice that while you can edit the playing weight of the male players, you are unable to edit the playing weight of the females, whether they're a licensed player or a created player.

I think it's because the AFLW doesn't release the weight of the players compared to the AFL who does. Can't put them in there if they don't have them. (You can always still get the look you want by using the sliders.)

I think it's because the AFLW doesn't release the weight of the players compared to the AFL who does. Can't put them in there if they don't have them. (You can always still get the look you want by using the sliders.)

That's fair. But is it still political correctness with the AFLW not releasing the weight?

Anyway. Not a game issue so not worth discussing here.

This is how I play all sports games anyway. Commentary off. Music or a podcast on.

Growing up in the playstation era I would turn the volume down and listen to football games on the radio to pass the time during endurance races (Gran Turismo 1 & 2). That trend still happens in Forza and the later GT games today.

I keep forgetting to look so I'll ask here. Is there an option for a closed roof etihad anywhere? Every time i've played there its had the roof open.

Not 100% sure as I haven't tried myself but I believe you may have to set the weather to rainy conditions then it should be closed, not an option as such but dependent on conditions.

Incredibly annoying when on pro mode the AI team mates will just keep knocking it along the ground instead of having the balls to pick it up and handball to a team mate open in space. Finding it hard to tackle as well with the poor camera angles.

Just had Sandilands get injured and my back up ruckman (Griffin),who started on the bench but had come on earlier in the game, automatically moved into the ruck while Pearce (who had interchanged with Sandi) moved to Griffs position at half forward

Seems WW have got the interchange working well when it actually works

Where do we need to go to report the issues with quitters being awarded the win ??? Getting real ****ing sick of this shit.

Just had Sandilands get injured and my back up ruckman (Griffin),who started on the bench but had come on earlier in the game, automatically moved into the ruck while Pearce (who had interchanged with Sandi) moved to Griffs position at half forward

Except when I've had Longer (Ruck) swap with Carlisle (CHB) during a couple of games.

Also played few games of career yesterday Geelong had Hawkins full back, North had Swallow playing full back and Crows had Seedsman as their ruckman for the full game! Haha, hopefully something that can be fixed

Vickery seems to replace Stratton, Gibson whenever they get injured in mine.

Shiels has replaced Isaac Smith on the wing 7-11 week knee injury.

Don't put down to malice what can adequately be explained by incompetence.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back