AFL Game Lengths

Remove this Banner Ad

The sub rule was brought in to fatigue players more, slow down the game and reduce injuries. By reducing the playing time of quarters, players will get less fatigued and the game will speed up again.
We will then get another bullshit rule change to try to fix the problem rather than reverting to the way things were.

The whole problem can be solved by tweaking the situation that stop the clock. Keep the clock running when the umpire calls for a bounce and you gain a few minutes per quarter right there.

Yes, they are getting a bit long. Shortening them slightly won't kill anyone.

The ball is not in play for any longer than it was ten years ago. If quarters are getting longer, why? You echo Demetriou in asserting they are "too long", so I ask, too long for what? What is the case for shortening them?

The ball is not in play for any longer than it was ten years ago. If quarters are getting longer, why? You echo Demetriou in saying they're "too long", so I ask, too long for what? What is the case for shortening them?
Longer waits to bounce the ball after goals due to TV ad breaks and more stoppages would be my best guess.

I go to plenty of games a year, and I reckon they're getting a bit long. 3 hours is a longgggggg time.

Leave the game alone, for christ sake cant we just leave everything alone for once. The only thing better than not changing anything would be un-doing some of the more ******ed things from the past year or 2.

Let's scrap the clock altogether. First to 21 wins.:thumbsu:

And the obvious solution is...sacrifice playing time for advertising time? Is prostituting the game in this manner a worthy goal of the administration?
A couple of minutes each quarter would not be the end of the world.

25 minutes start to finish, no stopping the clock.
Agree completely

Also, play each team once only, and the following year, swap the venues. 17 H & A games, and 100 minute games would solve a lot of problems medically.
I would also suggest the preseason comp should contribute to H & A points, 2 points a win, 4 points to the winning team of the final.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A couple of minutes each quarter would not be the end of the world.

And in a few years, a couple more minutes and so on. How long until we scrap the whole boring 120 minutes concept and just have 20-20 footy? Shit, we can have double- and triple-headers like this year's exciting NAB Cup! What entertainment!

And in a few years, a couple more minutes and so on. How long until we scrap the whole boring 120 minutes concept and just have 20-20 footy? Shit, we can have double- and triple-headers like this year's exciting NAB Cup! What entertainment!
First childish overreaction of the thread, you're the winner!

Because they stop it for a million years to be able to bounce waiting for the tv to be ready.
With the huge TV rights, the networks will be trying to fit even more ads in.

Longer waits to bounce the ball after goals due to TV ad breaks and more stoppages would be my best guess.

I go to plenty of games a year, and I reckon they're getting a bit long. 3 hours is a longgggggg time.

Dont ever watch Gridiron then.

Just leave the game alone. It has been fine for 100+ years, why all of a sudden do we have to change it. 30 minutes isn't a long time for a quarter.

This is all because of how the AFL screwed everything up with the sub rule..

Because of the fewer rotations, and it being almost impossibly to rest any player should more than one player get injured, the players have gotten fatigued and honestly if the AFL aren't going to give us an extra interchnage player/sub, then for the good of the players I's support shorter quarters..

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL Game Lengths

Remove this Banner Ad

Back