Scandal Lance Collard facing lengthy suspenion for homophobic slurs

Remove this Banner Ad

Really ? Which commentators regularly proclaim 'Jesus Christ?'

Calling someone a ‘god botherer’ would cross the discrimination marker - it marginalises Christians and Jews and mocks their beliefs and practices.

However simply using the term JC, while offensive to some, is not considered to be ‘running down’ a group or section of society.

Calling someone a ‘F****t’ implies it’s bad to be gay.

It's almost like he was hoping to be suspended. Pretty sure he isn't enjoying life at StKilda/Victoria and is keen to get home.

If he wanted to go back home there would be many better ways of making that happen than getting yourself suspended from all football for the rest of the year.

He's just been a dickhead young kid. Hopefully the club gets around him and he grows up from it.

He's just been a dickhead young kid. Hopefully the club gets around him and he grows up from it.
I don't mind the club getting around him as long as they hold him accountable for his actions.

I don't mind the club getting around him as long as they hold him accountable for his actions.
I mean honestly...surely, after the previous suspension, the club would have someone come in after a team meeting and discuss this issue and put up a powerpoint of why homophobia is bad and a list of words that are never to be said on a football field (or on the socials etc).

Plus all the usual gaff about how "this may seem a joke to you or over the top" but how, "we don't care - if you are heard you WILL get suspended and we will NOT be pleased".

Surely? Surely?

I mean honestly...surely, after the previous suspension, the club would have someone come in after a team meeting and discuss this issue and put up a powerpoint of why homophobia is bad and a list of words that are never to be said on a football field (or on the socials etc).

Plus all the usual gaff about how "this may seem a joke to you or over the top" but how, "we don't care - if you are heard you WILL get suspended and we will NOT be pleased".

Surely? Surely?
My point exactly- some clubs do this stuff like clockwork.

Others sit back and whine they’re not getting a break.

Is there a list if slurs that the players are taught aren't acceptable to say? I hear "Jesus Christ" in commentary and on the field regularly, to me that is a slur and should be equally penalised. Does weight related slurs count as well, comments about family?
Spot on.

If you really need to ask those questions, I suggest joining a sporting club and using a range of slurs and sledges against the opposition. Hopefully your own team mates, as well the opposition , will tell you whether you're a sound bloke or a d1ckhead.

Saying 'Jesus christ' as an exclamation has been acceptable in society since the end of the 19th Century. Whether you agree with it or not , that's how it is.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Calling someone a ‘god botherer’ would cross the discrimination marker - it marginalises Christians and Jews and mocks their beliefs and practices.

However simply using the term JC, while offensive to some, is not considered to be ‘running down’ a group or section of society.
I posted this yesterday - might be worth another look.

If you think a player yelling out 'Jesus Christ' when they don't get a free is on the same level as 'f*****' towards a player then you're not really intending to enter a genuine discussion.

What about if "Jesus ****ing Christ" was picked up by a mic, vs "****ing Mohammed" ?

Calling someone a ‘F****t’ implies it’s bad to be gay.

Being offended by it, when you are not gay, implies you yourself think it’s bad to be gay. It’s now ultimate insult, to insinuate a straight person is gay.

See the problem?

And that problem with trying to regulate speech. You will always find it not applied inconsistently and you are always chasing the tail.

Best regulator for speech has been fear of violence. Everyone knows what they can say and to who, otherwise you get the shit beaten out of you.

By regulating speech, you run the risk of increasing popularity of right wing nutjobs with their own ideas of what’s to be regulated. People simply don’t want to be told by others on what to do and how to behave and will tear down the system if need be.

I've thought about this for a few days now.
My initial reaction to hearing his suspension was, what a dickhead he deserves whatever he gets.
But then, I related it to what happens day to day on the streets.
If you called someone a fa@*0t on the street, you wouldn't get jail time. At the worst, probably a smack in the mouth and a fine for homophobic language. That's if it went to the extreme.
If you broke someone's jaw, knocked them unconscious, threw an arm in their face you'd likely get a conviction and a serious fine. (excluding my state, Victoria, where you get let off with a tap on the wrist).
The punishment for a violent offence should always outweigh that of non-violent.
I now think this suspension is grossly excessive and 1-2 weeks (plus the humiliation) would have been appropriate.

Who against and how is it a slur?
My initial reaction to hearing his suspension was, what a dickhead he deserves whatever he gets.
If you called someone a fa@*0t on the street, you wouldn't get jail time. At the worst, probably a smack in the mouth and a fine for homophobic language. That's if it went to the extreme.
If you broke someone's jaw, knocked them unconscious, threw an arm in their face you'd likely get a conviction and a serious fine. (excluding my state, Victoria, where you get let off with a tap on the wrist).
The punishment for a violent offence should always outweigh that of non-violent.
I now think this suspension is grossly excessive and 1-2 weeks (plus the humiliation) would have been appropriate.

But if you did beat the crap out of someone on the footy field, you would be banned for multiple weeks.

I feel that in order to explain why calling someone f**got on the footy field is a big deal, I might have to explain a lot. Do I start at the trial of Oscar Wilde or Stonewall, or tell you what it was like to be remotely different in school in the 1970s and 80s?

Being offended by it, when you are not gay, implies you yourself think it’s bad to be gay. It’s now ultimate insult, to insinuate a straight person is gay.

See the problem?

And that problem with trying to regulate speech. You will always find it not applied inconsistently and you are always chasing the tail.

Best regulator for speech has been fear of violence. Everyone knows what they can say and to who, otherwise you get the shit beaten out of you.

By regulating speech, you run the risk of increasing popularity of right wing nutjobs with their own ideas of what’s to be regulated. People simply don’t want to be told by others on what to do and how to behave and will tear down the system if need be.
That is a shocking take all round. Your initial premise is wrong. Being ‘offended’ on someone else’s behalf doesn’t mean you think it’s bad to be gay, any more than thinking calling a black person the n-word is wrong means you think being black is bad. It simply means you are aware of historical contexts and have empathy for people who have been treated badly for a long time. You know, basic human decency.

Threat of violence is not the best way to regulate speech. We’ve never had unfettered free speech. You can’t yell ‘fire’ in a crowded room, you can’t slander people in public.

Finally, I don’t accept the premise of ‘look at what you made me do’ for justifying whack job behaviour, as you call it. Letting people run around calling others slurs just in case it sets someone else off is no way to run a society.

Last edited:
OK, but now relate it to yelling it out at your workplace to 10 colleagues. What do you think the consequences would be? Seems he got off lightly cause he still has a job.

Remove this Banner Ad

Scandal Lance Collard facing lengthy suspenion for homophobic slurs

Remove this Banner Ad

Back