• Afternoon

Votes: 246 61.7%
  • Twilight

Votes: 118 29.6%
  • Night

Votes: 35 8.8%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

NRL switched to night in 2001 and then the Warriors made the 2002 GF (Sunday 9pm kickoff their time)

the 2002 nrl series still irritates me. Roosters were 4th (McIntyre system) and played at their home ground W1-3. Meanwhile the top two qualifiers in prelim week (Warriors and Broncos) played away in Sydney. Bulldogs looked a sure thing until the salary cap breach punishment. Roosters were 6th and 10-8-1 after Rnd21. To be fair they found form at the right time and could’ve had a dynasty.

What's this got to do with anything? What's your preferred time?

Twilight strikes the balance between the day crowd and the night crowd perfectly and if people sook about having to start their bbq an hour or two later, it's bad luck, have a snack to hold you over, it's not a big deal.

If people sook about having to start their bbq an hour or two later, it's bad luck, have a snack to hold you over, it's not a big deal.
Couldn't agree more! In a couple of weekends, when DS has kicked in, people will be having late Arvo BBQs as a matter of course. As for those who grumble it's too cool for a bbq in the late afternoon before a night GF, their needs can be met with a brazier or fire pit going, giving warmth and atmosphere, adding to the whole experience. Lots of people entertain this way in Winter anyhow!

So lets wreck the crowd with some womens game? How about NO!

Here's an idea, keep it the same, it works and it gives fans and players the ability to celebrate at traditional areas post game.

The musical act doing another free concert after the game with all the fireworks anyone could want was great should have been kept. I suppose when they get expensive acts that costs a bit more too.

Saturday night is always a TV dead zone, it is why the FTA networks don't care that much to show an AFL ot NRL game then. If you had little interest initially I doubt you would get much more watching later in the day, you may even just head out for the night.

Sunday night is different for the NRL as you are winding down your weekend and Sunday night is generally the biggest TV audience
Correct. Saturday is a dead zone in general for TV. I think you would get maybe 100-200k more watching a twilight/night game, but it’s not millions like the astroturfed argument in the AFL media claims

Beer at midday while preparing the food.

Guests arrived at 1.

BBQ feast while watching Katy Perry.

Kick to kick with the kids at half time.

Kick to kick after the kids enjoyed watching the Lions being presented the cup.

Guests leave at 6:30.

Leftover BBQ for dinner.

Kids bathed and in bed by 8:30.

Quiet drink and reflection on the season until bed at 10:30.

PERFECT.

Guests arrived at 1.

Leftover BBQ for dinner.

PERFECT.
Yep, pretty much our line up as well. Goes bloody well, and I'm not cooked today either.

People in footy states will watch anyway but they want the night slot for the northern states (NSW/QLD). Last year's GF ratings in those markets was exceptional I believe and it was with two smaller Melbourne club's playing.
Surely we can't conflate the two night Grand Finals with viewership when they were both in the Covid years?

My experience:

2020 was an excruciating wait. I don't mind the GGs, but could not get involved with Cox Plate day. Focus was squarely on the GF. Post match, there was very little time to celebrate properly.

If my team was not involved and the GF was at 7.30pm, by the time the game comes around the days almost over. BBQs at 7.30pm don't have the same feel. Besides, most of us would be half tanked by then anyway.

2.30pm start for GF. The only one's against that are the bean counters - like it's going to make that much difference to the overall bottom line?
I didn't like the 2020 Grand Final for the same reasons you've mentioned.

If we are to extend the “rusted on fans will watch at any time, let’s go after the non committed in another time slot” is taken to its conclusion, why don’t club members, afl members mcc members buy their memebership but just offer each seat for each game to randoms who just connect ot a website and get free tickets?

There has to be limits

Guests arrived at 1.

Leftover BBQ for dinner.

PERFECT.

Did you film it? It sounds more interesting than Talking Footy

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Day > Twilight >>>>> Night

It can never move to night, 2020 and 2021 were shit to watch at home, but at least 2021 looked better on TV.

If it goes to night, I won’t be watching unless Richmond are in it. No way I would have bothered watching yesterday’s game if it was at night.

I think early night could work well.

Why can't we try a 5:30pm start?

Avoids the worst sun glare and the issues assocosted woth daytime games. Low afternoon light helps with pregame entertainment

Allows half time to be 6:30-7 - perfect for food, good for a half time show, etc. Also fantastic for pubs and restaurants who can add a big meal to their package

Secons half is all night game and brings that chilling atmosphere. Can have postmatch entertainment with fireworks etc.

Match finishes 8:30 and awards done just after 9. Kids can stay up and see the end. Public transport is more feasiblem. Perfect to stay on in pubs after for an hour or two for the 'early close' or to head out to late night venue.

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL Grand Final start time - Afternoon, twilight or night

Back