• Afternoon

Votes: 268 61.9%
  • Twilight

Votes: 128 29.6%
  • Night

Votes: 37 8.5%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

As much as i love tradition i felt a bit flat come 5pm Saturday arvo... like, i wish the day was longer. i am starting to change my tune.. i think a 5.15pm(est) GF would be the go.

Similar sentiments here.

I'm more traditionalist than most, but I have also changed my tune on the Grand Final time.

Twilight would be perfect.

Happy for it to stay in the afternoon as is, but if they were to change to twilight, I'd be all for it.

Not night time though. It is too late.

What about moving the public holiday to the Monday. The public holiday isn’t really for the Grand Final - it’s really the old “Show Day” public holiday re-named.

The Melbourne Show runs to the 6th October.

The Grand Final could be on the Sunday evening, prior to the public holiday just like the NRL Grand Final is played the day before the Labour Day holiday in NSW.

You could probably generate a national audience of 5.5-6.0 million in that situation (the Grand Final rated 4.0 million)
Anyone remember the shitstorm in Qld when they didn't have the Monday off after the NRL GF until the last couple of years? Sunday night sure won't fly with the rest of the country just because Vic moves a public holiday.

I am a fan of the afternoon timeslot but would not get my knickers in a knot over a (4.40pm at the latest) twilight bouncedown.

Not a fan of a night GF at all, lots of knots in knickers time.

Remember the LOWEST ratings contests for Grand Final involve two Melbourne teams. The highest ratings Grand Finals historically) involve the NSW and Qld teams.

2019: Tigers v Giants 2,940,000
Day match, featuring NSW team. Would have got 4 million if a night. Poor ratings. A bad TV result

2020: Tigers v Cats 3,878,000 NIGHT
Two Vic teams. The worst match-up. Yet nearly 4 million because it was at night. Rated one-milion higher than the year before when the two biggest cities were represented, yet in this game only one city (Melbourne) was represented in the contest.

2021: Demons v Bulldogs 4,110,000 NIGHT
Two low supported Vic teams. The worst possible TV ratings match-up. Highest rated of of the last 5 years because it was at night.

2022: Cats v Swans 3,060,000
Day match. Swans involved. Should have got 500,000 more than a contest between two Vic teams, yet gets one million LESS than a night GF between two Vic teams the year before. An unmitigated ratings disaster. A ratings catastrophe. A total disaster.

2023: Magpies v Lions 4,003,000
A great rating helped by Collinwood's presence, the fact a Qld team was in it, and that it was close. Yet it still rated less than two low supported Vic clubs in 2021. Should have got 5 million at night. Melb vs Bulldogs outrated it for crying out loud and that 2021 match was a 74 point result

If you still think the Grand Final should be during the day after reading that, you are quite simply a moron.

2020 and 2021 people locked up with **** all else to do pumped the ratings. Fools gold for a garbage argument.

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL Grand Final start time - Afternoon, twilight or night

Back