• Afternoon

Votes: 271 60.8%
  • Twilight

Votes: 138 30.9%
  • Night

Votes: 37 8.3%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Having the same game at the same stadium at the same time every single year is boring. I’m all for being traditional, but if you’re stuck in the past, you will never advance forward. If the AFL was truly a forward thinking sport, they would get rid of the mcg grand final each year. They would sell the grand final to whatever city bids the highest and they can choose the time. i like the idea of the mcg grand final being held every two season. 1 year you could have a night grand final in Perth, then the next it can be a day in mcg, then the next it can be a twilight or night in Adelaide.

With regards to last night's Rugby GF I'll use myself as a test piece. I have zero interest in rugby. But with the Storm being involved, maybe about 0.5% interest.

So after watching Predator with my son. It was his first time. I think he enjoyed. But I digress. Switched it over to the rugby. Storm had just scored. While watching I pondered if the crowd noise when someone gets tackled is real or fake. At some point I went and brushed my teeth. It was now half time and realised that the show '9 out of 10 cats does Countdown' was on. Unusual for a Sunday but delighted none the less. Hosted by Jimmy Carr. Ya'll should check it out. Again, I digress.
Told the kids to go to bed. By halfway through the 2nd half I'd moved from the lounge and found myself watching TV from my bed. Panthers looked in control and '9 out of 10 Cats does Countdown' was a triple header. SBS must be on a budget. Still, I'm quite pleased with this outcome. Before lights out, forgot to see who won the rugby. Even as I write this, still don't know.

There you have it. A night grand final of a sport I have zero interest in got me "watching" for about 20 minutes. If that game had've been played Sunday afternoon, I'd take 20 minutes off that 20 minutes and that's how much I would've watched.
So I guess if I'm the type of person that a sporting body/TV network is after, then sure. Go for a night grand final. But if you want someone who religiously plans their year around that one day. Perhaps keep it daytime.

We had a very similar experience! However it was the WWE Bad Blood replay that ended up taking my attention.

Well I can see why the nrl couldn't sell their grand final out despite it being on sale for 2 months, what a boring repetitive sport, literally nothing happens for like 77 of the 80 minutes.

But anyhow my mate up in Sydney came down for the afl gf coz he got tickets and then went to the NRL grand final last night too. His observations were it was so much better being at night and that the atmosphere was better due to far less corporates than the afl gf. He also said it was funny even Penrith fans left before the presentations. He said the actual game was boring, but the night time slot was more enjoyable than the day time one. I'm not advocating going to night, but at least shifting to twilight would be much better.

Having the same game at the same stadium at the same time every single year is boring. I’m all for being traditional, but if you’re stuck in the past, you will never advance forward. If the AFL was truly a forward thinking sport, they would get rid of the mcg grand final each year. They would sell the grand final to whatever city bids the highest and they can choose the time. i like the idea of the mcg grand final being held every two season. 1 year you could have a night grand final in Perth, then the next it can be a day in mcg, then the next it can be a twilight or night in Adelaide.

The bidding has happened, and the MCG won the bid, for a few decades

They could always bring back the night grand final as well

Interesting that the AFLW GF is not happening at night….that’s right it’s during the day at a family friendly time

Well I can see why the nrl couldn't sell their grand final out despite it being on sale for 2 months, what a boring repetitive sport, literally nothing happens for like 77 of the 80 minutes.

But anyhow my mate up in Sydney came down for the afl gf coz he got tickets and then went to the NRL grand final last night too. His observations were it was so much better being at night and that the atmosphere was better due to far less corporates than the afl gf. He also said it was funny even Penrith fans left before the presentations. He said the actual game was boring, but the night time slot was more enjoyable than the day time one. I'm not advocating going to night, but at least shifting to twilight would be much better.

Let’s go for a night grand final in exchange for half the corporate seats going to competing clubs fans

Now we are talking

Having the granny at the MCG every year gives at least some home ground advantage if a tenant plays. But having it in some pre-ordained rotating city just takes that same home ground advantage and sprinkles it around randomly. Story for another thread.

Seeing the NRL grand final and its wankiness just reinforces my preference for a day grand final.

The harder Channel 7 push for a night gf, the more I want to keep the day. Big no vote for the strong arm tactics. Absolute plebs.
Channel Seven seems to forget that it is the one in the position of weakness. It pays the AFL for the broadcast rights, and there are at two other major FTA broadcasters who would be happy to pay for the rights next time.

Or the AFL build an 80k stadium purely for footy in eastern suburbs

MCG tenants to play majority games there.

The mcg kept for finals series and grand final. Like Wembley.

Maybe ration mcg during season so every team gets 2 or 3 each

It will cost the league, but the new stadium has just afl and club members, no MCC

It could be about worrying that millennials zinellions have less interest as there’s lots of other stuff competing for attention

For mine they could go better here by resurrecting better tv experience like multi view live experience

I think fox experimented a while ago but it’s all gone by the wayside

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL Grand Final start time - Afternoon, twilight or night

Back