AFL Handout.

Remove this Banner Ad

Righto, there's a 3.25mill handout plus a discretionary $4+mill. All given to the club over the years of 2012 to 2016.

If the business model and plan is sound, should the FTF be scrapped? As supporters, we've given them alot over the last 30 years of ineptness and mismanagement (except when Daphne had the reigns profitablity wise).

I say to Tigers buy your memberships (upgrade if you want), but no more. The club should now stand on it's feet and deliver something to us and put the hand away.

Discuss.

Orrrr, we could all still give because they still need the money and the sooner they get it the better and the more we have the more competitive we can be short and long term.

Further, the better the situation of the club, the better value membership they can provide to the supporters. Also, not entirely certain of the finer details of this plan and how it changes/affects the other dispensations we would have otherwise received. i.e. Some of this money may have come at the expense of some of our other money.

I'd be surprised if the club didn't know this was coming when the FTF was established. They may not have known the amount the handout was going to increase, but they would have had some idea. It would be interesting to know whether it is more or less than what was forecast/expected, and by how much.

I certainly agree, as does the club, that increasing the number of memberships should be the number one objective. I mean, this is what the AFL is expecting of clubs when giving the handout.

At the end of the day, I think this is just designed to keep us competitive. If we want to jump ahead of the pack at any time, the club needs to continue to pool it's own resources. Sponsorship is something that tends to come from success, not the other way around. So, to me, it looks like we'll be dipping in to our pockets for a little longer...

Definitely wanna know where this money will go, as stakeholders who are literally giving our own money to this cause, we deserve to know where every cent goes.

I doubt we will ever really know, just like the FTF which at the start promised a 50/50 debt/football dept split which doesn't seem to have worked that way? Add to this the million from the games we 'sold away' etc etc etc. Apparently the ground upgrade has now been deferred so why isn't this money put aside for this offsetting our debt and thus reducing interest payable? It's like having a 50k loan with a bank at 15% while you have 10k in the bank earning 4%

Definitely wanna know where this money will go, as stakeholders who are literally giving our own money to this cause, we deserve to know where every cent goes.

They ordered new tiger stripe leather chairs for the boardroom with the money from the two losses interstate :cool:

While I'm going to agree and disagree with what anyone says in this thread to a certain degree, I'm just going to start by being petty and doing a little dance that despite apparently being debt free and on their way to great things, Melsquibs still required a bigger hand out. And how Collingwood got extra is well beyond me :eek:

Keep donating to the RFC though! Whether we're in the black or the red it's important we have a financially strong club to compete with the big boys when comes to facilities... And stuff.

/2cents

Righto, there's a 3.25mill handout plus a discretionary $4+mill. All given to the club over the years of 2012 to 2016.

If the business model and plan is sound, should the FTF be scrapped? As supporters, we've given them alot over the last 30 years of ineptness and mismanagement (except when Daphne had the reigns profitablity wise).

I say to Tigers buy your memberships (upgrade if you want), but no more. The club should now stand on it's feet and deliver something to us and put the hand away.

Discuss.

You're pretty keen on the FTF being scrapped it seems.

The FTF was always going to be a 2 year thing, and if you look at it with a glass half full attitude, why not keep going and try and raise our financial war chest to be one of the best in the AFL especially with free agency coming in?

Why stop now...

Brendon has said all along the priority to the football club is membership, and if the average punter can contribute more by donating to the FTF then that's fantastic. If you don't want to contribute we won't hold it against you.

The FTF was always going to be a 2 year thing, and if you look at it with a glass half full attitude, why not keep going and try and raise our financial war chest to be one of the best in the AFL especially with free agency coming in?

Why stop now...

Brendon has said all along the priority to the football club is membership, and if the average punter can contribute more by donating to the FTF then that's fantastic. If you don't want to contribute we won't hold it against you.
I for one would prefer it kept going. If u don't want to contribute then don't. Agree with everything u said that if we can get more money and become the richest and most powerful club in the AFL then go for it. More money = more coaches = better players. More money = more recruiters = better players to start with (less errors).

Why stop now...

I agree with this, why stop now. Despite my anti-Melbourne tirade just before and in all seriousness, I'm considering upgrading to a 16gamer even if I'm not going to go to all of them, my missus (who is a bloody mad Bluebagger...) wants to come to the footy with me more next year so I'll be getting her a membership and I'm getting a 3gamer for a Tiger mate who wants to go a bit but is often a little tight for cash. Bring on 2012.

Why stop now...

I guess the thing is, this isn't the first or second time the club has put it hand out squeezing the very people who keep it afloat. Given the tsunami of economic shit that is heading our way, and it is coming, i think it's time to stop playing Oliver Twist.
If the plan is solid, and the cash is coming in, there should be no need for it. I'm a member, my oldest is a cotchie cub, and his younger brother will be following suit next season, but there needs to be a line in the sand. We as supporters have paid our dues, well and truely.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I guess the thing is, this isn't the first or second time the club has put it hand out squeezing the very people who keep it afloat. Given the tsunami of economic shit that is heading our way, and it is coming, i think it's time to stop playing Oliver Twist.
If the plan is solid, and the cash is coming in, there should be no need for it. I'm a member, my oldest is a cotchie cub, and his younger brother will be following suit next season, but there needs to be a line in the sand. We as supporters have paid our dues, well and truely.

I think u missed the bit where RFCO mentioned u don't have to contribute. It's not like they have attached it to the membership fees. They want everyone to be a member first and foremost as more members would mean a better sponsorship deal in the future. But for all the members that have some extra money then they are free to donate.

Its all about getting ahead of the other clubs, not just keeping pace
Given all the other clubs got a handout, for us to scrap the FTF fund now would just mean we are treading water again

If you think you have paid your dues then don't give any money. Why should that stop others from giving what that can if they want too.

We will continue to struggle while we remain unsuccessful. To become more successful, we must make sure we have all the resources to do so, which requires money.

Discuss.

are you saying the afl is going to give us possibly 4 mil over the next 4 yrs above everything else.

geez what an opportunity over the next 4 yrs to make our club financially secure no matter the climate.

if i was benny gale id be cheeky and ask for the lot now. pay out the debt and straight away put what interst we were paying into sound investments.that would be about 2mil saved in interst alone plus what we could make thru investments.
to me this type of thinking has to be the way we move forward. build a financial base where we never have to worry about financing the basics like recruiting.

what i really dont understand is why the afl does not adopt this approach. the only possible reason i can think of is if the clubs are reliant on the afl the afl has control.

are you saying the afl is going to give us possibly 4 mil over the next 4 yrs above everything else.

geez what an opportunity over the next 4 yrs to make our club financially secure no matter the climate.

if i was benny gale id be cheeky and ask for the lot now. pay out the debt and straight away put what interst we were paying into sound investments.that would be about 2mil saved in interst alone plus what we could make thru investments.
to me this type of thinking has to be the way we move forward. build a financial base where we never have to worry about financing the basics like recruiting.

what i really dont understand is why the afl does not adopt this approach. the only possible reason i can think of is if the clubs are reliant on the afl the afl has control.

Yep, there was a standard issue $3.25mill to all clubs, then some fared better than others on additional payments. It seems we are still happy to be selling games etc, etc.

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL Handout.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back