AFL LIVE 2011 - 360, PS3 & PC - Part 14 - READ FAQ BEFORE POSTING

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would think both the retailer and the publisher and some influence. EB always have pre order bonuses and special bundles.

EB's prices are higher then other retailers (JB, Kmart, Target etc) because they soley have to make money off games. When a new game comes on sale at the retailers I just mentioned, they actually don't gain any, or much, profit, some cases they actually lose money, whereas EB have to gain. That's why they make deals at little cost to them (in this case, the AFL photos) so people have an incentive to pay them the full price for the game.

Yep. I understand in regards to JB, Big W etc, but I would've thought GAME were in the same boat as EB. In the past both EB and GAME have had bonus/special deals. Most of the time the EB bonuses are better (marginally).

I just think it's a bit odd that GAME doesn't have a bonus for preorderers. Maybe that's just because I am one!

Yep. I understand in regards to JB, Big W etc, but I would've thought GAME were in the same boat as EB. In the past both EB and GAME have had bonus/special deals. Most of the time the EB bonuses are better (marginally).

I just think it's a bit odd that GAME doesn't have a bonus for preorderers. Maybe that's just because I am one!
EB have probably made a deal with Tru Blue only allowing them access to the bonus. Business is business!

But isn't GAME usually a fraction cheaper then EB?

Ross has stated he is rather happy that other people can answer questions for him, when they know the answrer. Ross is the CEO of a company and also has afamily, so little time savings like this would be great for him

Thanks Glenno. Yeah unfortunately I just can't get enough time to answer everyone... and I am really appreciative of anyone that can step in and answer, especially now as there have been a few play sessions in public so all is transparent and up for grabs.

I think the only ongoing issue is the repeated question - I am doing my best to never answer a question asked more than once by the same person, sorry if that's rude but I do read every post. If I have an opportunity to answer it I will.

There are enough people here that can talk of the content in the game that from here I am more likely to answer questions based on the development itself, like "why we did something" rather than "is this in the game".

Hey Glenno,
Is the bonus established by the publisher or the individual retailers? I understand that the picture has been offered/accepted by EB as the 'gift' they will give to their customers to encourage them to preorder, but why can't other retailers decide that they want to give their own gift?

I assume that JB/GAME wouldn't invest too much to try and entice people away from EB, but I can't think of a recent example where EB had a bonus and the others didn't

Its generally provided by the publisher. in some instances, we supply it. Things like DLC and the such have to come from the publisher

Most games will have multiple bonuses, so we'll have first crack and decide what we want, and then the publisher lets the others decide what they want from the leftovers.

We get exclusive verisons of games too. Think Codex versions of AC and the Grand Master edition (and every top edition) of the total war series

GAME really don't have anywhere near the pull that EB has. So they get left with the rubbish. I think even JB would get preferential treatment over GAME. they really are a very average company with a poor business model set up

Short answer, no.

EB's prices are higher then other retailers (JB, Kmart, Target etc) because they soley have to make money off games. When a new game comes on sale at the retailers I just mentioned, they actually don't gain any, or much, profit. In some cases they actually lose money, whereas EB have to gain. That's why they make deals at little cost to them (in this case, the AFL photos) so people have an incentive to pay them the full price for the game.

Someone who gets it :thumbsu:

I can assure you, Big W and others are making a loss on 80% of games they sell.

10% they break even (just) and the other 10% they make a small profit.

Games have very little profit margin on them.

EB have probably made a deal with Tru Blue only allowing them access to the bonus. Business is business!

But isn't GAME usually a fraction cheaper then EB?

Not really.

An EB store with a GAME in their centre would have the same prices on the shelf as them.

GAME really don't have anywhere near the pull that EB has. So they get left with the rubbish. I think even JB would get preferential treatment over GAME. they really are a very average company with a poor business model set up

Oh look out!

Whilst I agree that their business model does need some work, they're a lot kinder to the consumer than eb are (in regards to trade offers, pricematching, reward vouchers, etc). This may be why they suck as a business, but it's also why they get my business!

Thanks for clearing it up about the bonuses. I still haven't come across one from any retailer for any game that's made me want to pay $120 for it though. I'll stick to pricematching.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Oh look out!

Whilst I agree that their business model does need some work, they're a lot kinder to the consumer than eb are (in regards to trade offers, pricematching, reward vouchers, etc). This may be why they suck as a business, but it's also why they get my business!

Thanks for clearing it up about the bonuses. I still haven't come across one from any retailer for any game that's made me want to pay $120 for it though. I'll stick to pricematching.
A

Thats good and all, but whats the point in doing that (huge trade values and reward vouchers) if you aren't making money?

Closing stores down?

laying off half of the field management team across the country?

it makes no sense from a business sense. Consumers should be happy and there in droves, but they haven't got many of them either.

EB price matches too, i can't see how GAME would be any better at it?

but i digress. this thread is about AFL live

looks awesome!

Is one of the reasons why the game has no official release date yet because of the Richmond sponsorship that has just been announced tonight?

Makes sence that if all the other clubs have front and back sponsors in game and one did not it then becomes an issue due to licensing deals etc and behind the thinking of April 14th hopeful release date with 21st as a back up date? Waiting on Richmond to announce it so you could get it onto their jumpers, then have the game "made"

I mean we have trailers/ videos/ gameplay tests, reviews, pictures, etc but no offical date as yet which most people think is odd for a game that's due out in the next month.

Or does that have no impact on the release date at all? and if it does not thats fair enough ( I am not interested in other reasons why etc) just was wondering whether the sponsorship had/has any bearing on it

Looking at the gameplay vid posted on facebook by that Rhys guy, i was quite impressed by how natural and fluent the game play was

Commentary was average, but thats been stated as much (not quite) as sock-Gate

I can't wait for the next 5 weeks to be over.*

*I do not know the date, this is an excited fan drooling over a game thats out soon

Is one of the reasons why the game has no official release date yet because of the Richmond sponsorship that has just been announced tonight?

Makes sence that if all the other clubs have front and back sponsors in game and one did not it then becomes an issue due to licensing deals etc and behind the thinking of April 14th hopeful release date with 21st as a back up date? Waiting on Richmond to announce it so you could get it onto their jumpers, then have the game "made"

I mean we have trailers/ videos/ gameplay tests, reviews, pictures, etc but no offical date as yet which most people think is odd for a game that's due out in the next month.

Or does that have no impact on the release date at all? and if it does not thats fair enough ( I am not interested in other reasons why etc) just was wondering whether the sponsorship had/has any bearing on it

Considering the discs are being printed now, that would have nothing to do with it

Ross will correct me if i'm wrong

This is in the wrong place but I thought I better put it here. The places previews of the game that will definitely have Big Ant Studios in attendance are:

EB Games
Northland Saturday, 19 March 2011 (Andy)
Swanston St Thursday, 24 March 2011 (Ross & Andy)
Southland Sunday, 27 March 2011 (Ross)
Werribee Saturday, 2 April 2011 (TBA)
Fountain Gate Saturday, 9 April 2011 (TBA)
and now Franktston Sunday 20 March (Ross)

BTW: Inside Football has a preview of AFL Live in this weeks' edition, http://www.insidefootballonline.com/

Fair Enough Glenno, was just intersted to see whether that was an issue due to the delay in announcing a sponsor.

Do you have the link to the video with commentary? Think I have seen most but have not come across one with commentary yet?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back