AFL LIVE 2011 - 360, PS3 & PC - Part 16 - READ FAQ BEFORE POSTING

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all,

Question please to any in the know about the day/night game cycles within a season vs AI.

In a regular season against the computer, will the amount of night games be realistic such as a real season or is it totally random.

For exampleit is not realistic for any team to play 50% of the home and away games under lights...maybe 6 or 7.

Also if so, does the realism continue to the fact that only night games would be a Friday or Saturday. The draw may be a Sunday game and randomly make it under lights which rarely if ever happens.

Just curious.

Ross are you able to indicate if the proposed feature of uploading a custom logo to the game (mentioned in FAQ) made it in to the final game or not?

Hi all,

Question please to any in the know about the day/night game cycles within a season vs AI.

In a regular season against the computer, will the amount of night games be realistic such as a real season or is it totally random.

For exampleit is not realistic for any team to play 50% of the home and away games under lights...maybe 6 or 7.

Also if so, does the realism continue to the fact that only night games would be a Friday or Saturday. The draw may be a Sunday game and randomly make it under lights which rarely if ever happens.

Just curious.

Its the 2011 season I believe.

Seems to be a few previews out there at the moment.

Came across this one, probably the most negative. But he's based that purely on the trailer and release date timing.

http://www.techau.tv/blog/afl-live-2011-trailer-released-misses-the-mark/#

I guess he hasn't bothered to show up for a demo.

Hey Macx, its not a matter of being bothered to show up for a demo. I'm in Albury/Wodonga, so access to a demo wasn't possible. The post was never intended as a review, unfortunately people have judged the post as a review as indicated by their passionate response. All reviews are clearly indicated by Review: Post title. As seen by every other review at http://techAU.tv/reviews

Not looking to inflame the situation further, just wanted to explain the post properly. I honestly hope my initial impression (yes based on the trailer) is wrong and we all end up with a fantastic game.

I'll be getting hands on when its actually released and write a an actual review then. Read it or not, that's up to you.

Cheers
Jason Cartwright
Founder of techAU

Hey Macx, its not a matter of being bothered to show up for a demo. I'm in Albury/Wodonga, so access to a demo wasn't possible. The post was never intended as a review, unfortunately people have judged the post as a review as indicated by their passionate response. All reviews are clearly indicated by Review: Post title. As seen by every other review at http://techAU.tv/reviews

Not looking to inflame the situation further, just wanted to explain the post properly. I honestly hope my initial impression (yes based on the trailer) is wrong and we all end up with a fantastic game.

I'll be getting hands on when its actually released and write a an actual review then. Read it or not, that's up to you.

Cheers
Jason Cartwright
Founder of techAU

No offence man but have you ever heard the saying 'Never judge a book by its cover' ? Because it most definitely applies in this situation.

Honestly, this is the wrong place to have a negative preview of it or to try and explain your position.

You will get howled down by the frothing masses.

Cheers
Jason Cartwright
Founder of techAU
Why would anyone ever bother to read your review? Even once you play the game, you will most likely give your review after only 10 minutes of gameplay! on your part buddy for giving your review of a game on it's trailer anyway.

Why would anyone ever bother to read your review? Even once you play the game, you will most likely give your review after only 10 minutes of gameplay! on your part buddy for giving your review of a game on it's trailer anyway.

Entirely agree with this buddy! If somebody wants to make an opinion on the trailer maybe do it on YouTube but dont judge the whole game on it. From what I learned once I played the game at Knox, the trailer was just more or less replays from angles it doesnt actually show how awesome the flowing gameplay is!

No offence man but have you ever heard the saying 'Never judge a book by its cover' ? Because it most definitely applies in this situation.

We judge things by their covers constantly every day, we don't have time to try everything out so I have no problem with his opinion.
I'm not sure why his opinion of a trailer and release date is worth more attention than anyone else's though.
You can go over heaps of negative feedback on youtube without singling people out and arguing against them. This one's just longer and on it's own website.

Cheers
Jason Cartwright
Founder of techAU

We are not interested in your pathetic excuses, your "review" was ridiculous and I hope you enjoyed the publicity your "website" gained.
Now please go away.

I was going to back this guy up, it's not a review of the game, someone is allowed to comment on the graphics that appear in the trailer. But reading the last paragraph gave me heart burn. Looks like Ross has already paid him out.

Cheers
Jason Cartwright
Founder of techAU

Review or not, comments like this:

Another disappointment is the quality of the game itself.
are exceptionally poor. That sentence and the paragraph following comment on the quality of the game, which you have not played. It doesn't matter what you want to call it - an initial impression or a review, you're still judging something off merely a trailer.

If you wanted to state your opinion that the trailer is poor and provide appropriate reasons for that, then that is fair, but making sweeping statements about the actual game and its quality based off the trailer is not.

Take out the middle paragraph and I think most wouldn't mind as much. However, this is also pretty comical:

Check out the full list of history of AFL video games on Wikipedia, its an impressive history dating back to 1991
With the exception of AFL '99, previous AFL games have been far from impressive and efforts such as AFL 2005 were downright deplorable. Implying developers like IR have done a better job than Big Ant is laughable, and this is Big Ants first shot at it.

Cheers
Jason Cartwright
Founder of techAU

Welcome to BigFooty. Oh and the Ant_ who posted on your blog isn't me, seems you've picked up a few trolls. :D

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We are not interested in your pathetic excuses, your "review" was ridiculous and I hope you enjoyed the publicity your "website" gained.
Now please go away.

He is entitled to his opinion, just as you can disagree. I'd prefer he stayed on the site, a lot more information to be had here then just a trailer on youtube to judge a game on.

When can we see another team list? or haven't you simmed past the 1st week of finals yet?

Cheers.

Agreed. Posted before I read your comment :)

>
Jason,

You put forward the idea that you know best about marketing games and when to release them, as you say an opportunity lost? Industry stats show that Easter is the next best period after Christmas for selling games. Finalisation of sponsors, players, and rules also plays a big part as well.

Slight research about EA would have told you that they have dropped Cricket, Rugby, and AFL (a long time ago) - why would they be all over it? All in all, very poor work on your part, EA have stated publicly that they will not make games that are likely to sell less than 1 Million units.

I am very thankful that you are so late to the game as after 9 positive reviews from those that have actually played the game and done some research I can only hope that people will see you piece for what it is. Stick to your day job, whatever that might be!

Ross Symons
CEO
Big Ant Studios.

Agree with you there mate. Early reviews before a game is out is pointless.

Without otehrs posting their replies to this question, I hope you don't mind me asking you direct, everything I read is still mention PC Windows version, but any release date or news of the same seems inpossible to find. I know it's a different format to COnsoles, but can us PC gamers get some idea of if it will be avalible at least before a Wii version, if not earlier, if not, then I think this is a fair question, why not? Thanks Phil

Agree with you there mate. Early reviews before a game is out is pointless.

Without otehrs posting their replies to this question, I hope you don't mind me asking you direct, everything I read is still mention PC Windows version, but any release date or news of the same seems inpossible to find. I know it's a different format to COnsoles, but can us PC gamers get some idea of if it will be avalible at least before a Wii version, if not earlier, if not, then I think this is a fair question, why not? Thanks Phil

PC version is coming out later due to piracy fears, Ross said roughly 3 months later if i remember correctly.

Ive Just re-read the techAU "review" again..... and i think the problem is Jason is trying to deflect a lot of the criticism of it by saying its not a review of the game as such but of the trailer that was "released yesterday".

I think the reason people were so incensed by it (certainly me) was not really the fact it was a review done with no research or seemingly any effort to gather some facts but just the absolute boneheaded statements scattered throughout.

*****"The disapointment of the timing of the release, a month after the start of the season"..... um pardon me but im sure fifa comes out at least a few weeks after the euro leagues kick off and im sure thats not the only sport game that does....

*****"Another disappointment is the quality of the game itself".... that line has been done to death already but for someone denying that it is in anyway a review of the game without having seen it, i think thats the proof right there....

*****" but lets hope the developers Big Ant Studios haven’t wrecked a game about one of Australia’s most popular sports" and "Check out the full list of history of AFL video games on Wikipedia, its an impressive history dating back to 1991".....hahaha impressive history of AFL video games!!!! oh wow, well if thats your opinion youll be even more embarrassed when u play this one!!!

To me, regardless of whether this was a preview/review/trailer review it is just a lazy, inaccurate, negative bollocks of an article and should be removed untill you have played the game and learned some FACTS!!!

He is entitled to his opinion, just as you can disagree. I'd prefer he stayed on the site, a lot more information to be had here then just a trailer on youtube to judge a game on.

It's amateur hour when the "quality of the gameplay" is said to be poor based purely on the trailer.

It's amateur hour when the "quality of the gameplay" is said to be poor based purely on the trailer.

I'm not agreeing with his views, I'm defending his right to have those views. Also not saying you can't criticise a review/preview, but there is nothing to be gained by abusing him personally.

Maybe he did it for this kind of reaction? Traffic has increased and even Ross has been on there.

As for the article, it is very negative and whilst I know its not a review it seem that from what has been said in the article that you have already made up your mind on the game. It's not so much what you have written that is the problem, but more what you have based it on. From a company perspective though, a niche game getting any negativity is a bad thing, especially when its based off a minute of video.

Back on topic, Ross, how far away from TV commercials and a formal press release are we?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back