AFL LIVE 2011 - 360, PS3 & PC - Part - 25

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

This.

Getting sick of the whinging now tbh...Just flogging a dead horse. Clearly the minority are struggling to adapt to life post-patch, but just because you miss a mark or get bumped or don't pick up the ball doesn't mean it's a bug or flaw.

And why is it that these 'flaws' never happen to your opponents? Or is it just that your opponents have better learnt how to deal with these situations than you have? I reckon it might be.

A few thoughts on this.

First of all, we know Big Ant can be wrong on some things, such as giving away free kicks when you're not holding sprint (clearly it happens). So they could be just as wrong on this one too. Don't discount that possibility.

Secondly, it's possible that the code for picking up the ball hasn't changed, but maybe the code for doing whatever action when you press and hold triangle without the ball has changed. I notice the player holds his arms out (like a shephard) a lot when he doesn't pick it up. Maybe this event occurring more is cancelling out the picking-up-the-ball event, and hence it has changed? So the workaround could be to not hold down triangle for too long before you try to pick up the ball. Just sayin'. Either way, it's a flaw (albeit a flaw with a hypothetical workaround).

Thirdly, it is possible that because some of the bigger fires are out (shot-blocking, quitters), people are noticing the smaller fires more now - such as AI running in a direction you tell them not to run in, or players not picking up the ball. I.e. it's not happening more, it was always there, but we're noticing it more now. This is plausable.

Fourthly, who said it's not happening to opponents? Clearly many people are having the same issues, so it's not some 'minority', as you have coined it. I've seen it happen to online opponents. Luckily for me, I was winning convincingly so I don't think it affected the result, however they may feel differently.

Lastly, as a general question for anyone or Ross: Is the size of the ground really to scale of the players' sizes? The centre circle definitely looks too small, as does the general length of the ground. So if you have a player who is 2 metres tall, could you lie him down 5 times and that would be the length of the kick-out box? I'm doubtful that the square is 5 Paddy Ryders long. The reason I ask is because I was thinking about my issue with "not 15 - play on" that went half the length of the 50 arc. I could be wrong on this, but if 'metres' in the game are actually not to scale with the ground size/player size, then this could be a reason.

Can I ask....are people generally spoiling using L2 + Triangle, or L2 + Right Stick? I know both work, but is there a difference between the two other than the direction?
I use both when advantageous.

Have found the L2+Triangle spoiling works far better now to hit it away from the contests and opposition players so if I need a quick reaction spoil I'll definitely go for that. And for the majority of the contests that is what I use.

The L2+Right Stick is definitely a big thing that I use on the line or close to goal to push it back. Will only really use it otherwise if I see a teammate close and want to get it in his direction.

Also Ross are we able to get a full list of the patch details and tweaks?

I've seen the one on the Tru Blu Facebook and it's a little...weak for what's actually in there and been done (even your first initial list before the patch was submitted has more info than the Tru Blu one). So if you've got a full list of what can be told about the tweaks, fixes and such that'd be great to see.:thumbsu:

I've been meaning to ask if there is any possibility of the stats/game mechanics being explained in detail at any point. Would understand completely if it's too much effort etc.

Would be stoked if it could happen though!

I reckon I might start using L2 + Triangle a bit more now... been using L2 and Right Stick and been getting slaughtered....

Mumbo Jumbo, I reckon you could be right with holding Triangle too long before picking it up....This is another thing I'll try to test out.

Thirdly, it is possible that because some of the bigger fires are out (shot-blocking, quitters), people are noticing the smaller fires more now.

I am definately noticing smaller fires myself, among other things, but the shot blocking is still there (workaround maybe??).. I have encountered it quite a few times, as I mentioned in the patch thread.. Also the waits for games are killing me..

I love this game, but geez I hate it at times..

The reason I ask is because I was thinking about my issue with "not 15 - play on" that went half the length of the 50 arc. I could be wrong on this, but if 'metres' in the game are actually not to scale with the ground size/player size, then this could be a reason.

Yeah, I get that a lot. Long pass and play on is called, and yet a lot of opponents do a little kick over the top, no more than 10m and get marks paid.

I also notice a LOT of ball spillage from tackles, either by handball (which is spearing and pinpoint by my opponents) or spilling free (often to their advantage as well >_<).

HTB does happen a lot. Neither does the ball getting locked up for a ball up. Especially in the middle of the ground after the centre bounce (whereas before it happened a lot... was this change due to people complaining about stoppages?). Games are definitely more free flowing now, which I don't think is a good thing as it seems to reward teams that are fortunate enough to be able to move it forward through the ball falling their way (which usually is better rated sides). Definitely doesn't seem to be much reward for skill in getting it out.

Before there seemed to be differing games, where there were either a lot of stoppages, or if players were skilful enough then they get some awesome free flowing football going. Now it seems to be more free flowing by default (which may be cause for some not noticing things?) in that the ball just has to be won out of the middle in a mad scramble and you're off.

Shot blocking still there?!?! Really? I haven't noticed it... there's a bigger barrier around the mark now.

Although it isn't as blatant, I can still line up for a goal and have my opponent very close and hit the man on the mark.. I have also noticed that if they come from the side they also very nearly make contact and get in the way.. I will attempt to provide a video next time I come up against a blocker..

Sometimes it may just be the AI doing it. I've seen my players run in front of the player having a shot heaps of times. They'd have to time it pretty badly to kick it into them, but they run to the right spot.

They tend to dart in front, then dart back and so on.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Also Ross are we able to get a full list of the patch details and tweaks?

I've seen the one on the Tru Blu Facebook and it's a little...weak for what's actually in there and been done (even your first initial list before the patch was submitted has more info than the Tru Blu one). So if you've got a full list of what can be told about the tweaks, fixes and such that'd be great to see.:thumbsu:

HBK you up for a game at 7 tonight?

Sometimes it may just be the AI doing it. I've seen my players run in front of the player having a shot heaps of times. They'd have to time it pretty badly to kick it into them, but they run to the right spot.

They tend to dart in front, then dart back and so on.

Yeah true, Although it seems too much one way to be the AI darting around..

Lol. I miss shot blocking. I found no end of fun from seeing them do it and then I just waltz pass them and play on and goal. :D

In some ways I do too.. Especially when you have a left footer kicking and they think it is a right footer..

Man, I must be lucky then. I haven't had hardly any of the problems that have been mentioned over the past 2-3 pages.

The only problems I have post-patch are;

- Too many crazy good custom teams.

- Play on called sometimes when I'm tackled/bumped after a mark (though this was from before the patch).

....and i honestly think that's it.

I still feel the AI has improved a bit too, especially in congestion around the packs. Playing as the Kangaroos (3 star team and equal second worst team) and I've found my handballing in congestion has improved ten-fold since the patch. I was linking 4-5 handballs consecutively in thick congestion last night, and even got my best ever goal IMO after I handballed 4 times in less than 10 meters of space for it to eventually end up with Wells running flat out extremely tight against the flank, 60 meters out from goal, who slotted it on the full!

You have to be so precise with the direction you hold for a handball, actually for anything involving the left stick you have to be pretty much spot on. I'm also certain that holding in the handball button to handball to a teammate who is more than 10 meters away will get you a lot more distance than just tapping the handball button. Really works a charm for me.

Anyway, here I go resorting to tips again. I don't know what else to say, I really don't seem to have these problems that you guys are having post-patch. Maybe I'm the one in the minority?

Oh...As for running over the ball, it happens to me very rarely, which I don't mind too much. I do also get the situation where my guy is leading his opponent in a chase to the ball, but then stops and props, allowing his opponent to overtake him and gather the ball, but it happens both ways. So I guess you could call that a flaw, but yeah, it just doesn't bother me...What comes around goes around.

And the other thing is the sprinting while tackling - I've found that even at the end of a tackle animation, if I start to hold sprint again, I do sometimes get pinged for a late push in the back or holding the man decision. So yeah, I don't believe that you have to be holding sprint when you first push the tackle button to give away a free kick. Holding sprint at any stage during the tackle animation may give away a free kick IMO. So I'm still of the belief that you cannot give away a free kick while tackling if you don't hold the sprint button. The other thing is that once you change player following a tackle, it's quite possible that the player you changed from who did the tackle, who will now be controlled by the AI, may be the one who is actually giving away the late free kick (in other words, it's the AI giving away the free after you have changed player).

Meh, just thinking out loud really...

Before there seemed to be differing games, where there were either a lot of stoppages, or if players were skilful enough then they get some awesome free flowing football going. Now it seems to be more free flowing by default (which may be cause for some not noticing things?) in that the ball just has to be won out of the middle in a mad scramble and you're off.
I dunno about that tbh.

I've probably played more hard fought contested games post-patch than I ever did before hand. The match against Illnino the other day was the single scrappiest game I've ever played, over 170 tackles for the match! Usually our games go about 100 tackles for the match, if that.

I've had some very low scoring contested battles with others from here too.
Man, I must be lucky then. I haven't had hardly any of the problems that have been mentioned over the past 2-3 pages.

The only problems I have post-patch are;

- Too many crazy good custom teams.

- Play on called sometimes when I'm tackled/bumped after a mark (though this was from before the patch).
I have had that one a bit too, only it doesn't happen when being tackled or bumped, just calls play on for no reason after a mark, but strangely only seems to happen in games that have some minor or major lag. Has been mostly good though when being tackled, maybe 1 or 2 times has it not been a 50, which is fine by me.

The worst part is when it happens to marks inside 50 and as I usually straight away hit the square button to go into set shot mode I will do a quick snap resulting in usually an out of bounds or turnover.:(

(I didn't get the chance to read the rest of your post as I'm in a rush, but will see if there's anything to respond to later:p).

In my last onlinegame just then I tried to sub on my sub about 4 times using the keypad and it didn't work. Not sure if it is a bug or not.

Works for me. Make sure not to push left on the d-pad after making the sub to get rid of the menu. It will cancel any changes made. I did this a few times before I realised.

The sub only works if you substitute a player that is actually on the ground. If they are on the bench, injured or not they never work.

Nah, I always sub with someone on the bench. Normally at 3qtr time I'll just sub off whoever is the most tired on my bench at the time, using the d-pad.

And I always check the interchange menu with the d-pad afterwards to see if the player who I subbed off the ground is greyed out and cannot be interchanged/subbed anymore.

Just noticed the bug illnino has talked about. I accepted a match invite from the XMB and all my team data got erased. Not too fussed as I don't have any custom teams or anything, but still a bug nonetheless.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back