AFL LIVE 2011 - 360, PS3 & PC - Part - 26

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
2006 and 2007 wasn't done by IR gurus, can't remember who made them though.

2006 and 2007 was still made by IR Gurus but they changed publisher from acclaim to sony from memory. There might have been one other after 2004 Premiership edition that lasted 1 year and the publisher went belly up. Name escapes me.

2006 and 2007 was still made by IR Gurus but they changed publisher from acclaim to sony from memory. There might have been one other after 2004 Premiership edition that lasted 1 year and the publisher went belly up. Name escapes me.

Didn't really know IR Gurus made 2006 and 2007, thought someone else made it, but, If they had made 2011-2012, it would have been good,

phreeze77 is right I'm pretty sure.. IR Gurus still made it.. just under a different banner..

06 and 07 were still the same engine..

Acclaim went under after publishing their AFL game.

IR Gurus who developed the first one for Acclaim then went on to make a few more before they also went under (after changing their name to Transmission).

While other games have had franchise mode for a while, the FIFA ones certainly did not in their first iterations.

We pointedly made the decision to leave career/franchise modes out of the game as we would otherwise either have to delay the game or diminish other areas of the game. We were upfront about this strategy and made sure people knew about it before purchasing the game. We also did have the option of putting in a half-assed, gimicky career mode as seen in some other recent sports games but we decided against it.

AFL Live has sold very well, although I can honestly say that Big Ant did not make a profit from this game, it was an investment in a code base that we hope to take forward.

Acclaim went under after publishing their AFL game.

IR Gurus who developed the first one for Acclaim then went on to make a few more before they also went under (after changing their name to Transmission).

While other games have had franchise mode for a while, the FIFA ones certainly did not in their first iterations.

We pointedly made the decision to leave career/franchise modes out of the game as we would otherwise either have to delay the game or diminish other areas of the game. We were upfront about this strategy and made sure people knew about it before purchasing the game. We also did have the option of putting in a half-assed, gimicky career mode as seen in some other recent sports games but we decided against it.

AFL Live has sold very well, although I can honestly say that Big Ant did not make a profit from this game, it was an investment in a code base that we hope to take forward.

Will the next AFL game be make or break? If you don't make profit on the next addition, I'd imagine it will make things pretty tough, yeah?

It seems as though my copy is dead :(.

For some reason the game won't load past the AFL logo/copyright information screen anymore. Ross, any idea what could be loading in the background during that screen? Saved game data perhaps? Other games load fine so it doesn't seem to be an issue with the blu-ray drive, and the disk is pretty much spotless.

320+ games online, not once having played as a custom side and this is how it repays me haha.

Oh well, It definitely had a good run.

It seems as though my copy is dead :(.

For some reason the game won't load past the AFL logo/copyright information screen anymore. Ross, any idea what could be loading in the background during that screen? Saved game data perhaps? Other games load fine so it doesn't seem to be an issue with the blu-ray drive, and the disk is pretty much spotless.

320+ games online, not once having played as a custom side and this is how it repays me haha.

Oh well, It definitely had a good run.

The only thing I can think of is a corrupted save file - perhaps try and boot it with a different profile?

The only thing I can think of is a corrupted save file - perhaps try and boot it with a different profile?

I got it working but it was a roundabout way.

I tried using a different profile and that didn't work.

I tried deleting all AFL Live data from the system, including save files etc. When i began the game and received the warning that I'd have to (re)download the 1.01 patch, as soon as it said please wait the system hung, then the ps3 beeped 3 times and reset itself. I tried this multiple times.

I finally got it working by choosing not to download the patch. The game started as normal, i then went to play online and when I was prompted to download the patch I accepted. This time the patch downloaded fine and now the game works as usual (minus all my saved data which probably wasn't much anyway a part from my team structure).

I got it working but it was a roundabout way.

I tried using a different profile and that didn't work.

I tried deleting all AFL Live data from the system, including save files etc. When i began the game and received the warning that I'd have to (re)download the 1.01 patch, as soon as it said please wait the system hung, then the ps3 beeped 3 times and reset itself. I tried this multiple times.

I finally got it working by choosing not to download the patch. The game started as normal, i then went to play online and when I was prompted to download the patch I accepted. This time the patch downloaded fine and now the game works as usual (minus all my saved data which probably wasn't much anyway a part from my team structure).

Bummer... sorry it's caused you so much trouble, I can only guess that it was a corrupt save file or a problem with the internal hard drive as everything else is static (the disk and patch can't haven't changed).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think what the next version needs most is a sock heights career mode. You know, so you can specify the different sock heights based on the stage people are at at their career. So rookies wear them up high and look like dorks, experienced pros kind of wear them low and cool looking. And then you could have the loose cannon types that wear one sock up high and one down low.

But all this is for naught if the socks that are worn high don't slowly slide down over the course of a game. And I'm not talking a game with three minute quarters bang they're down at full time, that's unrealistic, we really only want this to kick in when there are twenty minute quarters.

And we need a control for pulling socks up. Like, L2 + R2 + both sticks up or something. And if the stat is high you can like pull up your socks in general play, but if your sock pulling stat is low then you can only do it at stoppages.

Ross, I'm not sure if it was picked up before the last patch but the subs and interchange is still bugged.

I am playing a full season on legendary for the trophy and I'm up to Rnd 20 against the Hawks and it was a nice close game for the first 2 qtrs, then one of my RR goes down with a minor injury on low stamina so I decide on a sub. The opposition has just scored a goal and on the goal umpire cutscene I press pause and swap my RuckRover with the substitute.
Upon returning to the game for the centre square bounce I notice im a player short at the bounce and I check the team management and the Ruck Rover position has disappeared and the player is nowhere to be seen for the rest of the game.
I went on to play the rest of the game and have my 40 point lead cut down to 10 by the final siren.
I was fuming at the thought that it could have stuffed up a final win and when your have put over 30 hours into that season. At least I know if I'm going to lose I can always quickly switch of the PS3 before the end but that carries the risk of corrupt the save file.

I have had this happen before with the ruckman disappearing when changing positions with another player before the bounce.

Has this glitch been looked at to be fixed in the next version?

P.S. Any announcements for the next game? ;)

Ross, I'm not sure if it was picked up before the last patch but the subs and interchange is still bugged.

I am playing a full season on legendary for the trophy and I'm up to Rnd 20 against the Hawks and it was a nice close game for the first 2 qtrs, then one of my RR goes down with a minor injury on low stamina so I decide on a sub. The opposition has just scored a goal and on the goal umpire cutscene I press pause and swap my RuckRover with the substitute.
Upon returning to the game for the centre square bounce I notice im a player short at the bounce and I check the team management and the Ruck Rover position has disappeared and the player is nowhere to be seen for the rest of the game.
I went on to play the rest of the game and have my 40 point lead cut down to 10 by the final siren.
I was fuming at the thought that it could have stuffed up a final win and when your have put over 30 hours into that season. At least I know if I'm going to lose I can always quickly switch of the PS3 before the end but that carries the risk of corrupt the save file.

I have had this happen before with the ruckman disappearing when changing positions with another player before the bounce.

Has this glitch been looked at to be fixed in the next version?

P.S. Any announcements for the next game? ;)

Are you running with the patch?

(no news yet :) )

Are you running with the patch?

(no news yet :) )

Yeah I am running with the patch. I have played online so it must be in my system. Unless all the gameplay code doesn't apply to a saved full season competition i started before the patch came out.

I also thought the maximum number of serious injuries you could get on 'Extreme' was 2 a game post patch. I had a game a few rounds ago when I got 5 and couldn't take the player off.

Yeah I am running with the patch. I have played online so it must be in my system. Unless all the gameplay code doesn't apply to a saved full season competition i started before the patch came out.

I also thought the maximum number of serious injuries you could get on 'Extreme' was 2 a game post patch. I had a game a few rounds ago when I got 5 and couldn't take the player off.

Yeah, the patch didn't do much for me, I still had problems with swapping subs, I just figured not to swap subs at all because more than half the time it would glitch up and freeze at the next score.

A couple of times a season i would still get more than 3-5 injuries in a game.

And the harder difficulty was still waaaayyy to easy, the AI would make stupid mistakes like kicking backwards to a contest in the goal square in there back line. The are just unaware and makes the game less realistic.

i uninstalled the patch from the xbox because most of the bug fixes were related to online play and i dont play online. and i used to like it when i could mark the ball without playing on rookie or amatuer

i used to like it when i could mark the ball without playing on rookie or amatuer

Haha so true. I've been playing through a custom season and a full length NAB Cup (for the trophy) on legend lately and marking is so cheap. No point even pressing the button if you're not all alone or on the lead in your forward 50.
Had it so often where you get front position early and all that and yet the ball just sails right through your body to your opponent. And if the ball goes to J. Brown on legend, don't even bother spoiling. Does nothing, he simply pushes off you and marks, every time.

As much as i love the game there are so many cheap moments on legend that make you want to throw the controller.

I've played a lot of this game now (including the NAB Cup on Legend with 20min quarters and max. injuries just to get the Achievement ... will wait a while before attempting the entire season!) and the main things that still bug me are:

Marking. It's just way too cheap. Too random, and there's no skill involved. It's like the game decides that you have a one in 10 chance of marking the ball regardless of the stats of the players involved or of when you press a button on the controller. I don't even try any more, I just spoil unless I'm like 50m in the clear.

The feeling of being in control. It's not there. There are so many moments when I'm telling a player to run in one direction and he flat out refuses to listen, and continues to run in the opposite direction. Usually the only option is to switch players. Removing control from the player is a cardinal sin in video games, and this is the main issue I hope is rectified in the sequel. It'll probably fix the marking issues too, and a host of other problems with the game which all seem to be related to the game playing for you. You only really seem to be in total control when you have the ball in hand.

I've played a lot of this game now (including the NAB Cup on Legend with 20min quarters and max. injuries just to get the Achievement ... will wait a while before attempting the entire season!) and the main things that still bug me are:

Marking. It's just way too cheap. Too random, and there's no skill involved. It's like the game decides that you have a one in 10 chance of marking the ball regardless of the stats of the players involved or of when you press a button on the controller. I don't even try any more, I just spoil unless I'm like 50m in the clear.

The feeling of being in control. It's not there. There are so many moments when I'm telling a player to run in one direction and he flat out refuses to listen, and continues to run in the opposite direction. Usually the only option is to switch players. Removing control from the player is a cardinal sin in video games, and this is the main issue I hope is rectified in the sequel. It'll probably fix the marking issues too, and a host of other problems with the game which all seem to be related to the game playing for you. You only really seem to be in total control when you have the ball in hand.

I can't quote this post enough. It's annoying enough in offline games. But in online games, it's horrendous. And often glaringly one sided.

Oh, and loved your socks post, too. :thumbsu:

I'm sure they could've skimped on the game engine and made a comprise of half arsed game-play, online play with a half arsed player management. (Exactly like what all the other AFL releases were like up till now that your comparing this too).

I dont understand what is so difficult about coding a couple of extra screens for drafting/trading, some sort of basic random player progression, and allow multiple seasons.

Hell, I reckon I could code up a basic AFL player management game in a weekend. Call if half-arsed all you like. But the game doesnt really shine in any area anyway.

Graphics, Animation, and Commentary are all 2006 standard. The UI for actual player management is quite most of the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back