AFL overtaking NRL in QLD

Remove this Banner Ad

I was surprised by how much AFL I saw being played on tellies in the pubs up in Sydney when I visited in the middle of June this year. I wouldn't say it was everywhere, but just walking around the CBD on a bit of a pub crawl, it was being shown in a fair few venues. My mate who lives up there reckons AFL doesn't get a whole lot of media attention but if you go into the city on gameday when the Swans are playing at home, you see a lot of red and white.

I haven't been to Queensland in years but judging by all the Lions games I watched this year, their home crowds look strong.
I certainly think the AFL is growing in the northern states, but not yet outpacing NRL. I think things might take another 20-30 years before we'll see the true outcome of the AFL's investment in the Suns and Giants.

As an aside, Queensland is actually producing more draftees than ever before, yeah?

There were around 50 QLDers on AFL lists in 2008. Around 46 in 2013. There's about 30 now.

I think we're at the start of the boom though. With 4 suns in the top 25 last year, the Ashcroft brothers across 3 years being arguably the best players in the country, also Queenslanders.

Then Lombard, uwland and the likes next year, it seems more top quality than quantity that will be coming through in droves over the next few years. A whole bunch of first rounders. Actually nsw is quite similar, I think they only have about 50 players in the afl, but the quality is top notch and could beat s.a and potentially w.a in a state game imo.

The one thing the AFL need to do is get into the private schools in QLD. The women's did just in the past year but there is still a ban on Aussie rules for boys. That would see it boom even more and become the second strongest state at producing talent. Something they seem to be on the way to becoming anyway.

People around here won't accept it, but, ATM, the Titan's ceiling is much higher than the Sun's as well. The Titans, and all historic GC RL sides, are hampered by their own incompetence, but they'd grow comparatively quickly if they ever stopped sucking for an extended period.
Interesting view. I've been living on the GC my whole life for more than 20 years, went to school here etc. I don't really get that impression from my experiences and I've mixed in circles that are both league and/or Aussie rules inclined. One thing I can say with confidence is that there's a good amount of people on the GC who are interested in Aussie rules, but keep quiet about it because they don't want to be judged/criticised. I don't think that's going to change until the Suns start having on field success and the social stigma that comes with following Aussie rules starts to go away.

There's no doubt both GC teams have been hampered by incompetence, but the Titans have had glimpses of success and it hasn't really grown the way that you're suggesting. They played finals in 2021 and averaged 14k to their home games that year. The same can be said about 2016 when they played finals and average 13k to home games that year. These aren't impressive numbers in years that they don't "suck" as you put it.

The Suns sold out 4 of 9 home games on the GC this year and didn't and spent most of the year outside the top 8 + didn't qualify for the finals. What's going to happen when the Suns do play finals?

The one thing the AFL need to do is get into the private schools in QLD. The women's did just in the past year but there is still a ban on Aussie rules for boys. That would see it boom even more and become the second strongest state at producing talent. Something they seem to be on the way to becoming anyway.
I think you're referring to the GPS competition (which is mostly Brisbane based), but we're starting to see significant inroads being made in the elite private schools on the Gold Coast. Three of the Suns academy members that took part in the U17s Futures game this year were from All Saints Anglican School, arguably the best private school on the Gold Coast and they compete in the elite APS competition. They've had a bit of success in the past with students like Nick Riewoldt and Kurt Tippett, but this next wave appears to be considerably larger and more impressive.

Uwland, Addinsall and White along with the two Ashcroft boys who also attended All Saints before they moved to Melbourne, shows an unbelievable amount of footy talent is coming from the one school. Plus, All Saints began competing in the AFLQ state cup this year and went deep into the quarterfinals. Having a school like that onboard is going to pay major dividends and it's exactly why it's important for the Brisbane Lions to continue pushing hard with the GPS schools.

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL overtaking NRL in QLD

Remove this Banner Ad

Back