AFL Players Seeking Psychological Help

Remove this Banner Ad

That is really a poor attitude to take Pezz. Do you not realise some of the sacrifices the players make in regards to theier lives they give up in order to play?

That is really a poor attitude to take Pezz. Do you not realise some of the sacrifices the players make in regards to theier lives they give up in order to play?

I would be prepared to sacrifice a lot more if I was getting paid 300K per annum.
Pezz speaks the truth.

I would be prepared to sacrifice a lot more if I was getting paid 300K per annum.
Pezz speaks the truth.

So this means we are allowed to treat them like dirt as a result? I am sure others who earn near or around that sort of money will not take lightly to being told to HTFU. I am sure Nick Riewoldt for one might have a plethora of psychiatric issues/disorders after he retires :(.

So this means we are allowed to treat them like dirt as a result? I am sure others who earn near or around that sort of money will not take lightly to being told to HTFU. I am sure Nick Riewoldt for one might have a plethora of psychiatric issues/disorders after he retires :(.

Riewoldt is already not in the best frame of mind judging by his refusal to shake hands after the Essendon game.
And offering someone a cup of cement doesn't equate to treating them like dirt.

Isnt alot of sport played between the ears. If not why does form drop off if there is no injury?isnt it common sense to ensure players mental health is in tip top shape as well. Heaps of cash spent dealing with every other physical injury players may suffer why not a few bucks on keeping the brain muscle fit?

Comes under the same banner as Brett Moloney seeking help for a grog problem.
Evryone's gotta label something a problem these days...they cant admit they were an idiot and just got pissed, or like the bookies way too much.

It used to be guys would help themselves instead of going looking for sympathy or try to exaggerate it. Weak as water...people once called it being a loser, now we're supposed to help. Bugga that

There are always some genuine valatudinarians around mixed in with the hypochondriacs...but if you drink too much DEAL WITH IT instead of asking for sympathy, if u gamble too much DEAL with it instead of trying to make it sound like some sort of disease looking for absolution, sex addicts can go bat off instead of bothering saying they need "help", guys who like the biff too much can go to jail instead of blaming it on society, women who attempt to use celebrity men for their own self esteem should happily be called ****s and skanks too. Nothing like a dose of reality to prevent the myriad of social diseases that seem to be flourishing as people get softer and softer and act like princesses whenever they cant face any personal issue. Farrrrrkem, sick of hearing the bullshit.

Genuine mental health issues fair enough...just dont group in the 25yo heorin addict that rips the stereo outta ya car...or the pisshead who threw his curry up over your car outside the restaurant.

Problem with being too quick to OFFER help is people start depending on it and the weak start abusing it and using it as an excuse. ...whilst those in genuine need with genuine mental health issues are still loathe to ask for it.

Sponsoiring the exact opposite of natural selection...wont be long before being a lousy kick is someone else's fault or a psychological problem needing help.

Awwww poor dear.

He didnt quite make it at AFL level after dreaming of it since being a kid ..yeah ?

jeeezus... spare me the bullshit.

About the only problem he'll face is when a bunch of useless wannabe amateur social workers try to convince him he has some sort of mental health issue. Then he'll really have a problem instead of just the disappointment.

Lets put the entire country on suicide watch just in case. Afterall in the immortal words of every nanny state nazi..."if we save just one it'll all be worth it"

Awwww poor dear.

He didnt quite make it at AFL level after dreaming of it since being a kid ..yeah ?

jeeezus... spare me the bullshit.

About the only problem he'll face is when a bunch of useless wannabe amateur social workers try to convince him he has some sort of mental health issue. Then he'll really have a problem instead of just the disappointment.

Lets put the entire country on suicide watch just in case. Afterall in the immortal words of every nanny state nazi..."if we save just one it'll all be worth it"

what are you talking about? Nanny state? Nobody is being forced in to counselling, it's just there if the players want it. How is this controversial?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

what are you talking about? Nanny state? Nobody is being forced in to counselling, it's just there if the players want it. How is this controversial?
Its not controversial..i'm saying its totally bloody ridiculous and unnecessary.

Its the sort of thing that is sponsored when you have too many people being paid with too little to do..or too many nannies all thinking they have a responsibility to look after everyone for any bloody thing.

The AFL is an entertainment business...its not here to be anyone's psychological crutch nor should it pretend to be a clinical practice for those in actual need. Plus its in the worst possible position to identify a mental health issue coz the players wont risk that so close to their livelihood and career. Every guy has a doctor, after they've left the game its just not the AFL's responsibility, nor should they attempt to even help anyone after they've left.

If i suffer a psychotic episode 3 months after quitting my job you think my previous employer is dumb enough to offer help ?..thats just the precurser to a legal issue and almost tantamount to an admission they caused the problem in legal terms. Just leave things as they are...enough is done to help pick out the odd guy with a genuine issue already.

The way things work in society is mental health is invariably first detected or suspected then referred to the best help available by a doctor. Every single player already has this....every single player also has a club doctor on top....every single player also has the same EXISTING help the rest of society has. All you want is to add another level to it...which is pretending AFL players suffer more from mental health than the rest of society..whilst being in an age group that is meant to have less than others.

People with a GENUINE mental health problem arnt going to seek help WITHIN the system they work..they'll do their best to hide it first or go into denial or just not know they have one...and eventually seek help AWAY from the system for obvious reasons.

If i'm on a short term lucrative contract and suffering severe depression i'm highly unlikely to seek help from the shrink at work am i ??...wouldnt be THAT stupid and even less likely to anyway because i'm not myself.

They have seminars on this stuff already anyway...the most important thing is diagnosis and the players already know where to turn if they even suspect they have any sort of problem already..they are provided doctors on top of their own...just adding another room to the doctors office at work aint gonna suddenly make people wander in and admit something they dont really want to admit. First thing they'll want is for noone to ever know about it. If they're looking for an excuse tho they'll use it like clockwork and turn up every week. In other words it wont help those in genuine need at all but sponsor ordinary social problems into being issues.

How about in house safety driving courses as well as the stupid seminars on "how to treat women"...maybe a series of toll free 1800 AFL numbers for them to discuss everything from a dose of the clap to why they just cant seem to kick a footy anymore.

Ive seen youth workers have a free sausage sizzle in our local park and take down all the names of the 'homeless' kids who attended that they fed to justify their work, my nephew and niece included... just sayin

Then they tried to match them up with a missing persons database perhaps?

Ok, I'm all ears.............

Well, big ears, relationships aren't just boyfriend/girlfriend.

Family and friendship issues come to mind, especially when a young fella gets thrust into the limelight. Sibling jealously, the feeling of leaving your mates behind, how about the lad who comes from a lower income family and feels guilty for making more than his Dad?

Lots of issues, little time.

Smokey.

P.S. I recall that when Brisbane were seen as on the bleeding edge (hyperbaric chambers, radical rehydration) their Psychological treatment was seen as one of their greatest innovations.

Sigh what a waste of a thread...I had a discussion with my Mum the other night who believes there isn't a stigma attached to mental illness. Quite clearly there is.

After last night, if anything, you who believe those with an illness should "harden up" are the ones with the problem...I think it's sad that someone who genuinely is unwell is looked down as being weak. To me it's looking down on someone with asthma or a broken leg.

Mental illness is something I wouldn't even wish on someone who thinks they should "harden up". You don't tell someone with a broken leg to walk on it, so why tell someone who has a chemical imbalance to harden up?

Sigh what a waste of a thread...I had a discussion with my Mum the other night who believes there isn't a stigma attached to mental illness. Quite clearly there is.

After last night, if anything, you who believe those with an illness should "harden up" are the ones with the problem...I think it's sad that someone who genuinely is unwell is looked down as being weak. To me it's looking down on someone with asthma or a broken leg.

Mental illness is something I wouldn't even wish on someone who thinks they should "harden up". You don't tell someone with a broken leg to walk on it, so why tell someone who has a chemical imbalance to harden up?

Strangely, it's the people who tell others that seeing a shrink is a sign of weakness, who need help the most.

Bollox...most people experience mental illness by the age of 32.
shibz.. glandular fever as well. You can add various forms of cancer, motor neuron diseases, some Parkinsonians, etc etc etc. Point being we dont set up a clinic for each of them do we ? Or would you like to ?

Yepp its the modern day bloody epidemic, truly it is. Helps to know the way they now collate the numbers for these things though.

Carpel Tunnel Syndrome...now there's a new epidemic we can all be diagnosed with. Might explain why so many easy marks are dropped too.

What i'm saying is that Jonathan Hay wont pay a visit within an AFL system until a last resort....but you'll definitely get repeat visits from Barry Brooks saying "farrrrkkme doc they all think i'm a useless $#!! and now i'm starting to believe it"

What on earth are you on about?

This epidemic (as you label it). Have you ever thought that maybe more people are having the guts to ask for help? Or that maybe the world is in a lot worse shape then what it was, say, 50 years ago?

Some people find it harder to deal with things because of a chemical imbalance. Are you seriously telling me you think they are faking it?

What on earth are you on about?

This epidemic (as you label it). Have you ever thought that maybe more people are having the guts to ask for help? Or that maybe the world is in a lot worse shape then what it was, say, 50 years ago?

Some people find it harder to deal with things because of a chemical imbalance. Are you seriously telling me you think they are faking it?
Not much gets past you does it shibz..yes usually an epidemic happens when more people come fwd to report it.;)

What you're not taking into account is that something like depression has different levels...only major depression is usually dealt with drugs, mild depression might just end up a talk to a shrink because you just feel down and arnt sleeping well, and slight depression might be something fixed by your mates for instance. They judge it all via degrees of difference from normality but if you pay a visit regardless you become a number adding to the "mental illness" stats.
Its real..not saying its not a medical condition or not serious at all...just that some things are now reported differently and numbers effected.
In years gone by a guy a bit pissed about his missus rooting the plumber wouldnt necessarily become a stat...chances are his mates might just shake him out of what is today classified as perhaps "slight" or maybe "medium" depression. More people might be coming forward but you need to know what is now being collated as mental illnesses in the numbers. Its not exact so its all taken. Obviously depression is just one part of the story.
Far more people have far better access to the medical system these days. Its one illness with a very natural rise in numbers as we treat it more seriously. But at what point does it become serious and should be classified as a mental illness...up to everyone.

Well, big ears, relationships aren't just boyfriend/girlfriend.

Family and friendship issues come to mind, especially when a young fella gets thrust into the limelight. Sibling jealously, the feeling of leaving your mates behind, how about the lad who comes from a lower income family and feels guilty for making more than his Dad?

Tell me you are joking right

You need to seek physc help because your brother is jealous of you making the team.

Is this pre primary education 101.

We Cannot lump every little confronting issue, under the banner of " Mental Illness".

Maloney has a problem when he drinks piss, he drinks too much and acts the goat.

This time he got busted

Is he mentally ill ?

Alcohiol consumption and mental illness have a strong relation/correlation. I know at least two people who usicided after a heavy night on the piss who both suffered from mental illness. Alcoholism is a depressant and can cause people to do things innapropriate while in a negative state of mind.

Not much gets past you does it shibz..yes usually an epidemic happens when more people come fwd to report it.;)

What you're not taking into account is that something like depression has different levels...only major depression is usually dealt with drugs, mild depression might just end up a talk to a shrink because you just feel down and arnt sleeping well, and slight depression might be something fixed by your mates for instance. They judge it all via degrees of difference from normality but if you pay a visit regardless you become a number adding to the "mental illness" stats.
Its real..not saying its not a medical condition or not serious at all...just that some things are now reported differently and numbers effected.
In years gone by a guy a bit pissed about his missus rooting the plumber wouldnt necessarily become a stat...chances are his mates might just shake him out of what is today classified as perhaps "slight" or maybe "medium" depression. More people might be coming forward but you need to know what is now being collated as mental illnesses in the numbers. Its not exact so its all taken. Obviously depression is just one part of the story.
Far more people have far better access to the medical system these days. Its one illness with a very natural rise in numbers as we treat it more seriously. But at what point does it become serious and should be classified as a mental illness...up to everyone.

I don't need a lesson in mental health...I happen to be not only living it, but also studying it at uni.

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL Players Seeking Psychological Help

Remove this Banner Ad

Back