AFL Players with Diseases/conditions

Remove this Banner Ad

I know a couple but seeing as they are unknown I won't be saying anything. I'm rather surprised actually to see everyone posting this stuff so willingly. I'm not sure if these players would like to see some pretty personal info being divulged to the entire world.

Osgood shlatters disease or something?
No idea how to spell it.

I doubt it was OS. I and nearly all my friends I played football with that are over 6ft tall had that as kids. It's a growing disease that really shouldn't be an issue beyond the age of 15. I doubt it would end an AFL player's career.

What BigBadCam said, I had OS when i was younger (i was about 11 when diagnosed with it) and stopped playing Cricket because of it, but have played for the last 4 seasons (Started playing again when i was 18/19) without any problems with my knees. No pain no nothing, Just a very strange bump under the knee cap.

Doubt it would stop anyone from Playing AFL as they would grow out of it.

I know a couple but seeing as they are unknown I won't be saying anything. I'm rather surprised actually to see everyone posting this stuff so willingly. I'm not sure if these players would like to see some pretty personal info being divulged to the entire world.

How do you think people find these things out, correct or not, it gets out through the media/public. So most people probably know some of these things already (for example i knew the J.Hay and N.Thompson ones because of the Media)

This isn't about bagging anyone either, if anything it allows the fans to understand that not all players are perfect and it takes alot to make it at AFL, but even if you are not perfect you can still make it.

Oh for those who wanted to know more;

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Osgood-Schlatter_disease

So growth spurts + lots of sport = OS :D

(I remember year 7 i was 149cm tall and grew to 190cm by the start of year 11, haven't grown since then, but thats a huge jump and probably why i never played sport outside of school during those years)

Stephen Rowe (of South Freo, Norwood, Crows and saying the "woods pay of umps fame) was deaf in one ear, dont think it was discovered till after he retired.

Very interesting. There have been some very gifted blokes that could have played at a higher level if deafness hadn't got in the way, in terms of hearing the umpires' calls etc.

Deafness in one ear wouldn't have a major impact on playing, provided the other ear was working well enough, but it's good to know nonetheless.

Osgood shlatters disease or something?
No idea how to spell it.

I suffered from OS growing up as well due to playing too much cricket, football and basketball. But most you do grow out of it. But pretty can be pretty painful.

Stephen Kernahan had laser surgery on his eyes as well as he struggled to see the scoreboard or the ball especially in night games and would only pick the ball up late.

I suffered from OS growing up as well due to playing too much cricket, football and basketball. But most you do grow out of it. But pretty can be pretty painful.

Stephen Kernahan had laser surgery on his eyes as well as he struggled to see the scoreboard or the ball especially in night games and would only pick the ball up late.

Maybe some Freo fans could confirm this, but Matthew Carr's eyesight was extremely poor, to the point he struggled to make anything out on the footy field.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL Players with Diseases/conditions

Remove this Banner Ad

Back