AFL Players with Diseases/conditions

Remove this Banner Ad

Nathan Charles who plays for the Western Force and occasionally the Wallabies has cystic fibrosis. Yep, cystic fibrosis.

Yep. Real inspiration and a nice bloke as well - just wish the force would actually do something this season after such a promising 2014. Are performing okay, just can't get a winning result :(

Keenan Ramsey (Adelaide rookie) is blind in one eye
Patrick McCartin has diabetes I believe.
Ramsey isn't blind, he lost his eye through cancer IIRC.

I'm sure quite a few have STDs of some sort.
ricky_nixon_undies300x400_18h0jnv-18h0k6a.jpg

I'm sure quite a few have STDs of some sort.

Its surprising what some players do! I knew an ex star who used to pay for some prostie in Bali and Thailand. You think the endless girls lined up you wouldnt want some cheap prostie. The awkward moment when he showed pics and was so proud.

Its surprising what some players do! I knew an ex star who used to pay for some prostie in Bali and Thailand. You think the endless girls lined up you wouldnt want some cheap prostie. The awkward moment when he showed pics and was so proud.

That's the condition known as Hugh Grantism.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Paul Dimmatina was deaf in one ear i think. I seem to recall that was the reason he was copping 50 metre penalties, because he couldn't hear the umpire when they stood on the wrong side of him. Might have been a ploy to cover his butt.

Paul Dimmatina was deaf in one ear i think. I seem to recall that was the reason he was copping 50 metre penalties, because he couldn't hear the umpire when they stood on the wrong side of him. Might have been a ploy to cover his butt.
So an over friendly umpire was it ?

Nathan Charles who plays for the Western Force and occasionally the Wallabies has cystic fibrosis. Yep, cystic fibrosis.
Nathan Charles has a very different gene mutation to the majority (~70%) of CF sufferers. All CF sufferers have a mutation of the CFTR gene, but not all mutations (or combinations of mutations, if we're being honest) are equal. Not downplaying Nathan Charles' achievement, but just trying to be realistic for the majority of CF sufferers. Having said that, he manages his condition phenomenally well.

I recently saw a doco. on the 1984 VFL GF and Billy Duckworth was featured and it highlighted his present day health situation of having very little movement with his arms ... but it didn't actually describe or attribute what disease or medical condition he was suffering from.

3.jpg

The great Jack Mueller.

Melbourne best and fairest: 1937, 1939, 1946
Melbourne premiership player: 1939, 1940, 1941, 1948
Melbourne leading goalkicker: 1934, 1946
Forward pocket in Melbourne's Team of the Century
Third in the Brownlow Medal: 1937
Victorian representative (Games: 4; Goals: 4)

From Demon-wiki:

Recruited from Echuca after having dominated the Bendigo league, the tall, powerful forward beat the odds to become of the great goalkickers of his era despite having just 8 fingers due to a timber machine accident. He lost two fingers above the knuckle in a carton-cutting machine but still managed to line up in the first game of 1934 wearing a protective glove which left his marking unimpeded.

He got four goals on debut, seven in his second match and didn't kick less than two goals in any match that year en route to 52 from 14 games. Mueller could play any key position, and in the 1939 Grand Final he was named at full-back but moved into the ruck after the first goal.

Rejected by the army due to his injuries, Mueller was ironically still able to play in the 1940 and 1941 premiership sides. He kicked 38 and 45 goals respectively in those years. He finally managed to find his way into the army in 1943 and missed the entire season. He played a handful of games in 1944 and 1945 while on leave.

Mueller returned to full time VFL football in 1946. He was thrown back into the forward line and responded with 58 goals for the year - including a match winning 8 in the Preliminary Final and 6 in the Grand Final loss. Despite a niggling leg injury through the season he won the Best and Fairest award.

Mueller played just two home and away games in 1948 and took to coaching the 2nds. He was recalled for the finals series and virtually won the 1948 premiership off his own boot. He kicked 8 goals vs Collingwood in the 1948 Preliminary Final. In the drawn Grand Final vs Essendon, he kicked 6 of Melbourne's 10 goals. In the Grand Final Replay, he kicked 6 of Melboure's 13 goals.

Sporting_Globe_28_Jun1939_p10_Jack_Mueller_elbourne.jpg

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL Players with Diseases/conditions

Remove this Banner Ad

Back