AFL Premium Dream Team

Remove this Banner Ad

It's gonna be a close tussle for the best performing league as every league will have the almost the same players overall, and would therefore have similar league averages.

The differentiating factors in getting the best league average would be:

• Captain choices for each team
  • Performance/Team selection of lower tier players selected in the overall 220 players selected
I haven't mentioned the overall highest score for a single player since I'm sure there will be a some people who would be rigging their leagues for a single team to get a super team, so that would be out of the range for me anyway.

On another note, anyone else interested in making a BigFooty Div 2 Premium DT League? I unfortunately didn't make the cut for Div 1. Good luck anyway.

I am absolutely disgusted to see this and urge everyone to avoid paying their money to the AFL. If it is succesful, all that will happen is that they will jack up the price and perhaps even dump the free Dream Team. It should be a free game and I'm very disappointed in the AFL and BigPond in trying to take money from us to play what should be a free game!

It's gonna be a close tussle for the best performing league as every league will have the almost the same players overall, and would therefore have similar league averages.

The differentiating factors in getting the best league average would be:

• Captain choices for each team
  • Performance/Team selection of lower tier players selected in the overall 220 players selected
I haven't mentioned the overall highest score for a single player since I'm sure there will be a some people who would be rigging their leagues for a single team to get a super team, so that would be out of the range for me anyway.

On another note, anyone else interested in making a BigFooty Div 2 Premium DT League? I unfortunately didn't make the cut for Div 1. Good luck anyway.

Same, HOWEVER, a lot of people in the first division were under the influence that it was free.

The 2nd division will probably be very good. Count me in *runs to sign up*

Same, HOWEVER, a lot of people in the first division were under the influence that it was free.

The 2nd division will probably be very good. Count me in *runs to sign up*

Hey mate, i know your well known on here so can you please get me into a league..i don't want to enter if i go into a league with a bunch of doodles:thumbsdown:Do i sign up first and then someone might PM me the code..how do you get into a div ?

Hey mate, i know your well known on here so can you please get me into a league..i don't want to enter if i go into a league with a bunch of doodles:thumbsdown:Do i sign up first and then someone might PM me the code..how do you get into a div ?

Go to the Dream Team Leagues sub-forum, and there's still some spots in Div 2.:thumbsu:

Well, i found it tough to get into a good league, got the 10th spot in DreamTeam Talk league (div 2).

I would either go BigFooty Division 2 (Tennant is in it, he's currently 4th overall) or Dream Team Talk number 3 (already up and running).

Hope that helped.

Wtf I thoughout this looked mad and i registered until i encourntered the 12$ how stupid r they
theyll get 1000 signups instead of 100,000 unlucky dt im not joining:thumbsdown:

Here's my thoughts - i've been running a comp very similar to this thru afl website for a few years now.
* Assuming you want to win $$$, get yourself into a gun league (maybe via BF) and even help each other out with trades to try to win overall league, OR you just pump up one team in your league by just giving him everyone's gun players and share in the $5k individual prize. Absolute guarantee that who ever wins best coach will either have fudged their way there somehow with competitors "handing over" Pavlich and Cox etc to them (or at the extreme junking the draft for them) OR they're from a public league where most coaches are either nuffys or miss the draft, less likely given the entry fee.

ie. the trading rule leaves everything ripe for rorting. I don't know how they'll avoid dodgy trades.

* Overall though, it's still a pretty good idea which i know is used by other sites similarly too but never for this much cash, and hopefully next year they might offer it all year somehow.

So lets see how it goes, different skill to normal dreamteam, need to be more familiar with lesser lights but this version looks pretty basic really - there's not even a salary cap to worry about so draft will just be from best to worst with some planning around positions. If there was still a salary cap would be more challenging but more complicated too.
You're dead right on the trading. I've set up leagues previously with mates doing a draft DT, but using the existing DT system/site. Once the prices are posted, we open a league, register, then open a draft window (normally 2 weeks). Reverse draft based on last years ladder. Trades are done by email, and all trades tracked through an Excel sheet (pivot tables basically), so you know who has been selected and by whom. Once the full squads are selected (meeting the DT salary cap), each individual is posted their squads, and they're entered into the league. Didn't get to do it this year because the DT site opened too late. Key differences with this system over the proposed premium one:
- no trades through the season - you select 30 players, and you're stuck with the same 30 players. No trading once you've made your selection means no rorting.
- we use the DT salary cap - makes it more like a real team IMO; couple of stars, couple of rookies, and a lot more mid-tier. And if you get cruelled by injury and suspension? Tough - just like it is for a real team.
- all 16 of us in the league are in it for the bragging rights - nobody passes up an optimal trade to give someone else a legup. Unless all 16 of you are committed on the same goal (winning), you'll get rorted leagues.

But the system as proposed is just untenable. You'll end up with rigged leagues with one player having the most jacked up squad possible because there's no salary cap. Not being able to run my "real" draft DT league this year makes me want to join this "premium" DT, because it's actually more enjoyable than "standard" DT, but the lack of forethought around making it a workable system has turned me off.

Starting a poorly thought through competition over halfway into the season makes me think they are just trying to get in first before someone else... anyone heard any rumours of another mob starting up something similar next year?

Not a fan of this concept for the AFL. I played this type of game for the NBA. I enjoyed it a fair bit but for me it took a fair few goes before i stuck with a team i liked. Will be the same with the AFL, you only have one chance and if you don't like your team, you won't follow it.

There is another issue with this concept. If something goes a little wrong, i.e. your top picks get injured, you are at a massive disadvantage and are more than likely to stop playing very early on. It works pretty well for the NBA (if you have a team you like) because injuries aren't prominant. It isn't a contact sport whereas AFL obviously is and this factor will play a prominante part in the AFL version, more so than the NBA version. Imagine picking Cox with your first pick, then only to see him go down a week or two in. Now the best ruckman you can get would be the 21st ranked ruckman, which this year at the moment is Adam Pattison.

This type of game would be pretty much centred on how lucky you are during the season. Don't see much skill involved other than picking your initual team, even this has a fair bit of luck involved.

It also wouldn't take must to rig the game. All you need is one of your mates to not like his team and throw in the towel early, then you just dangle a bit of coin in his face and he will trade you Corey for N.Jones.

Not a fan and probably not going to give it a go, normal DT is much better and always will be.

For the people who are going to have a go:
- The top four picks should be D.Cox, C.Cornes, H.Shaw then probably J.White

You're dead right on the trading. I've set up leagues previously with mates doing a draft DT, but using the existing DT system/site. Once the prices are posted, we open a league, register, then open a draft window (normally 2 weeks). Reverse draft based on last years ladder. Trades are done by email, and all trades tracked through an Excel sheet (pivot tables basically), so you know who has been selected and by whom. Once the full squads are selected (meeting the DT salary cap), each individual is posted their squads, and they're entered into the league. Didn't get to do it this year because the DT site opened too late. Key differences with this system over the proposed premium one:
- no trades through the season - you select 30 players, and you're stuck with the same 30 players. No trading once you've made your selection means no rorting.
- we use the DT salary cap - makes it more like a real team IMO; couple of stars, couple of rookies, and a lot more mid-tier. And if you get cruelled by injury and suspension? Tough - just like it is for a real team.
- all 16 of us in the league are in it for the bragging rights - nobody passes up an optimal trade to give someone else a legup. Unless all 16 of you are committed on the same goal (winning), you'll get rorted leagues.

But the system as proposed is just untenable. You'll end up with rigged leagues with one player having the most jacked up squad possible because there's no salary cap. Not being able to run my "real" draft DT league this year makes me want to join this "premium" DT, because it's actually more enjoyable than "standard" DT, but the lack of forethought around making it a workable system has turned me off.

Starting a poorly thought through competition over halfway into the season makes me think they are just trying to get in first before someone else... anyone heard any rumours of another mob starting up something similar next year?
Agree. If it's done properly i prefer it to normal dreamteam too (as much as i like that too).

Webfooty, an old net afl draft game used to be good and had a trade challenge system. All trades were transparent and listed and other coaches could challenge to the moderator within 3 days of trade occurring, if they thought it was ridiculously one-sided. Not a perfect system but definitely stopped blatant rorting.

Not sure if i'll enter this one yet, winning's possible if can get in a gun league, and there shouldn't be thousands of entrants but i don't really want to encourage the afl by paying entry fees plus the format's so naive.

Is the dreamteam guide worth shelling out for, anyone who's got it yet?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

personally i think its worth it even if just for the 2 month trial with bigpond movies. 28 movies for $12 is great value in my book.

Entry in the competition is free of charge with the purchase of the Dream Team Guide - your ultimate season passport to Premium Dream Team. At only $12.00 the electronic PDF Guide features all of the essential game info, winner interviews and 3 years of past Dream Team player stats!

what kind of idiots do they take us for? entry in the competition is not free of charge.

Not a fan of this concept for the AFL. I played this type of game for the NBA. I enjoyed it a fair bit but for me it took a fair few goes before i stuck with a team i liked. Will be the same with the AFL, you only have one chance and if you don't like your team, you won't follow it.

There is another issue with this concept. If something goes a little wrong, i.e. your top picks get injured, you are at a massive disadvantage and are more than likely to stop playing very early on. It works pretty well for the NBA (if you have a team you like) because injuries aren't prominant. It isn't a contact sport whereas AFL obviously is and this factor will play a prominante part in the AFL version, more so than the NBA version. Imagine picking Cox with your first pick, then only to see him go down a week or two in. Now the best ruckman you can get would be the 21st ranked ruckman, which this year at the moment is Adam Pattison.

This type of game would be pretty much centred on how lucky you are during the season. Don't see much skill involved other than picking your initual team, even this has a fair bit of luck involved.

It also wouldn't take must to rig the game. All you need is one of your mates to not like his team and throw in the towel early, then you just dangle a bit of coin in his face and he will trade you Corey for N.Jones.

Not a fan and probably not going to give it a go, normal DT is much better and always will be.

For the people who are going to have a go:
- The top four picks should be D.Cox, C.Cornes, H.Shaw then probably J.White

I personally would have the Bartel's, and Corey's above Jeff White as, I don't think Simmonds, Mcintosh or Ottens (should be ready before the start of the comp) are too far behind Jeff White, but a good choice anyway. It all depends on where you are placed in terms of picks i guess.

The game i created at UltimateFooty.com already offers a similar game and is 100% free.

If you checked it out this season there is only head to head category scoring but next season it will offer roto and point scoring games, just like dreamteam. In fact you can choose your own formula, i.e. 4 points per kick, 1 per handball... so you can play to the dreamteam formula or create your own.

I must say I think they copied my live drafts at 60 seconds per pick! But it is flawed in that if you aren't there for a pick and you have nobody left on your 50 rankings you miss out completely, very rough indeed. Ultimatefooty has them covered there, can rank up to 264 players and if you miss a pick you still get the highest ranked guy avaliable.

Bookmark it guys and get on next season!

The game i created at UltimateFooty.com already offers a similar game and is 100% free.

If you checked it out this season there is only head to head category scoring but next season it will offer roto and point scoring games, just like dreamteam. In fact you can choose your own formula, i.e. 4 points per kick, 1 per handball... so you can play to the dreamteam formula or create your own.

I must say I think they copied my live drafts at 60 seconds per pick! But it is flawed in that if you aren't there for a pick and you have nobody left on your 50 rankings you miss out completely, very rough indeed. Ultimatefooty has them covered there, can rank up to 264 players and if you miss a pick you still get the highest ranked guy avaliable.

Bookmark it guys and get on next season!
Sounds good mate, will be on board next season for sure! Just wish I had known about it at the start of the year, oh well.
For those of you who don't want wait until next year for a live draft game, and don't want to pay the 12 bucks for a "Free" :rolleyes: competition get on the AFL Platinum Dream Team Train (Actually is free!), check out the thread on this board. Should be good :thumbsu:

How about you look at it this way...

The game is $12 and you get a free book.....

Hope that makes it easier to understand...

yeah yeah same thing costs money not too fussed to play ill just wait to see the feedback people have on it and maybe do it next year.

I'm upset. I was asked to give my Netbank client no. during the payment process but I don't want to do that because that means if there is a hacker or virus that means they r one step away from having full acess of my Netbank account....

Can anyone pay for me so I dont need to give me details...?

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL Premium Dream Team

Remove this Banner Ad

Back