Team Captain
Feb 11, 2008
Adelaide
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Glenelg
Welcome to what will be a weekly AFL punting preview for each Round

Now we are 4 rounds in some form is starting to consistently show and stats are becoming more meaningful.

Before placing a bet I highly recommend referring to the Bigfooty odds service found here - http://odds.bigfooty.com/ If your going to risk your hard earned you must make sure your getting the best odds and lines going around the bookies, this can mean a big difference to your bottom line at the end of the season.

We have a cracking game to kick the round off Friday night as the Saints travel to AAMI for the 2nd time this year, Friday night footy always attracts plenty of $$ and with these teams evenly matched and betting being very close keep a close eye on the odds as they will fluctuate right up to the first bounce. $1.85 (Sportsalive) for Port seems a solid bet for me in what promises to be a tight hard fought battle.

The ANZAC day clash at the MCG always provides plenty of emotional footy, and rightly so. Essendon coming off the 6 day break here, while they might hang with the Pies here in the first half I expect Collingwood to be too strong $1.43 (Pinnacle) available now, Id expect a line of around -15 which I would look at taking

Hawthorn play their first game in Tassie this week against West Coast who have a short week plus travel, Hawthorn should be able to use this trip to get their season back on track. Again Ill be looking at taking the line here of around -20.

Sydney travel to Perth to take on Freo, we know Sydney will test out Freo physically, are they up to it? Probably not, Sydney should win and have played well at Subi in recent times. $1.69 at Pinnacle is overs and unlikely to get any higher than that before the match

Kangaroos are the next team to put Richmond further into the depths of despair. Probably a no bet game for me however the bookies are tempting us to take the Roos with prices available between $1.45 and $1.50. If you like Richmond to break their duck you can get up to $2.80 at Pinnacle

Brisbane travel to Geelong to take on the near impossible task of the cats in near full flight/strength. Brisbane are as much as $6.50 to win, the line will be interesting here, expect anything up to 40 points. Keep an eye on the weather if you like the Lions, some wet weather might be around the place on Sunday which might make the line for the Lions look OK

Crows take on a confident Melbourne side at the MCG, is it false confidence though? We will know more about Melbourne after this week I feel, Adelaide will be rested and have some good form at the G, really think they will win easily here, again will have to wait on the line but expect it to be around -20 and Ill take that given good weather, the 40+ may even be worth a small investment

In another fascinating clash the Blues and Dogs go at each other both coming off interstate losses as favourites. Carlton will have the days break on the Dogs here and I expect late money to come for Carlton therefore the $2.20 at Sportsbet might be as good as it gets for the week, wouldn't surprise me if this market goes to $1.91 for both come Sunday.

Looks a great weekend of footy and punting, especially being Anzac weekend, get into the spirit and have a flutter

Good luck to all!
Cheers
Dutchy

Very good Dutchy, thought I would give a different view of this weeks games. The more opinions the better I think.

Port Vs St.Kilda is in my book match of the round, Friday night footy how it should be. Whether the game lives up to hype might be a different story. Port has an excellent record against the Saints at home and away. I don’t think this will change this week. St. Kilda didn’t impress me at all last week against Freo who are well below average. Port if they bring their A-game with high pressure might just trouble the Saints. If Kosi is out I will be getting on the Power in a big way. $1.90 for Port is about right.

The second game between Essendon and Collingwood is a danger game for mine. I don’t rate either of these two sides and will approach the game with caution. If Essendon can get their run from half back they will be way to fast for a slow Collingwood team. Hille needs to lift for Essendon to have any chance, Fraser is in fantastic form and if he gets the ball out to Swan and Pendles quickly then Collingwood will win. I would get on Collingwood if I can find them at $1.50.

Hawthorn were very poor last week and will want to make amend against West Coast who had a good win at home last week. The 8 hour travel for the Coasters worries makes me think Hawthorn Hawthorn Hawthorn. My betting will follows these thoughts accordingly. In my opinion West Coast will struggle out of Perth as shown two weeks ago against the Saints. Hawthorn at $1.30 is juicy odds and will be getting on this one for sure.

The Shinboners Vs. a terrible Richmond team, in theory should be an easy win for the Kangaroo’s but I am not so sure. They played the worst game I have ever seen the other week and still won, this might be bad mentally for them playing bad and still winning. I think Richmond will come out firing this weekend after last week. I don’t think they will win but Kangaroo’s under 39 @ $2.25 looks good to me. Also if you like quarter betting Rich/Rich/Kang/Kang @ $17 appeals to me.

Fremantle were terrible last week, it is like they went out there and didn’t know what their game plan was. Sydney like to close down games with their boring flooding which is easy in smaller stadiums but at Subi this will be a lot harder to do. I am not confident in picking a winner here but I will go for Sydney only because Fremantle are in shambles. $1.63 for Sydney looks like good value but I don’t think I can trust them, I won’t be betting here before the game.

The first game on Sunday gives us Geelong who should have an easy win against Brisbane who should be competitive. Brisbane have a solid midfield and forward who should be able to keep Geelong’s midfield and defence honest. If the line is something stupid like 60 points then Brisbane should be able to hold Geelong within the line. Geelong at $1.10 is a sure thing, so if you have a spare million then you could pick up a nice profit from it.

Western Bulldogs Carlton is an interesting game. Both teams were poor last week, Bulldogs with more reason to be. Carlton might have been getting ahead of themselves and maybe last weekend was the wakeup call they needed, however the same could be said for the Bulldogs. Carlton are in trouble here and I think the Bulldogs will come up trumps. Carlton however last year did beat the Bulldogs but they both have completely different form. Bulldogs at $1.70 provides some value and could help us all have a profitable weekend.

Last game of the round see’s the Crows play Melbourne who recorded their first win in as long as many can remember. Crows weren’t terrible last weekend against the Cats, they will learn to tag oppositions best midfielders, maybe. Melbourne could come out confident at home but I just don’t think they have the cattle to beat the Crows. Crows to win at $1.35 is about right and should be a good bet for anyone interested in having a beat this game.

Good luck to all this weekend and remember “don’t chase your losses, walk away”.

Geelong at $1.10 is a sure thing, so if you have a spare million then you could pick up a nice profit from it.

But the punters betting 1 million and winning at $1.10. Is the exactly same as someone betting $100 on $1.10. It's all relevant to bank size. People focus too much on the number. It doesn't count for much. POT is all that matters, not the size of the cheque. Because everyone will always be able to risk a different amount to you.

I would be rolling over the Bulldogs. Carlton have a poor, poor strike rate at the Dome. 14/54 games pre 2009.

liking one of the 2 telstra dome games to provide the highest score of the round as it's likely going to be a wet n wild weekend in vic, sa and tassie.
I'll put a bit on carlton @ $10.
Also a few high/low doubles.
carlton/west coast @ $50
carlton/melbourne @ $70
carlton/st kilda @ $80
carlton/adelaide @ $260

Also like brisbane +39.5 against geelong in the wet.

hmm.
i read that.
still not to sure.
could you explain using an example such as..
saints, carlton and adelaide to win this weekend :S?

The theory:

Trixie - (3 legs – no single bets - $4)
4 bets on three legs. ($4 total for a $1 bet).
1 x 3-leg multi; 3 x 2-leg multi.

Patent - (3 legs with three single bets - $7)
7 bets on three legs. ($7 total for a $1 bet).
1 x 3-leg multi; 3 x 2-leg multi and 3 single bets.

So a patent is, a step up from a trixie.

To put a Trixie (1 x 3-leg multi; 3 x 2-leg multi) you would have a combo of four multi bets which are St Kilda/Carlton, St Kilda/Adelaide and carlton/Adelaide as well as a St Kilda/Adelaide/carlton multi.

To put a patent Patent - (1 x 3-leg multi; 3 x 2-leg multi and 3 single bets. you would have a combo of four multi bets AND Three regular bets which are each team to win individually AND then exactly like a trixie with St Kilda/Carlton, St Kilda/Adelaide and carlton/Adelaide as well as a St Kilda/Adelaide/carlton multi.

Hopefully that helps.

ah yes PHX that does help.

thank you for that.

for the trixie, obviously if only two out of 3 teams win, i won't get as high of a return.
Will i still breakeven?
I suppose im trying to ask, how do they calculate your return for Trixie's?

thanks

ah yes PHX that does help.

thank you for that.

for the trixie, obviously if only two out of 3 teams win, i won't get as high of a return.
Will i still breakeven?
I suppose im trying to ask, how do they calculate your return for Trixie's?

thanks

Well whether you break even depends on the odds of your bets. Assuming a $4 trixie ($1 on each "multi")

ASSUME they're all $2 to win and if only 2 out of three win, So Saints and Adelaide win, but carlton lose. Only one multi out of the 4 will succeed. That will be St Kilda/Adelaide, and therefore 2x2=$4 will be your return. And you have your money back.

You have your combo of four multi bets which are St Kilda/Carlton, St Kilda/Adelaide and carlton/Adelaide as well as a St Kilda/Adelaide/carlton multi.
Get all three and you will have ($2x$2)+($2x$2)+($2x$2)+($2x$2x$2) = $16 return for your $4 outlay.

So it all depends on the odds of the bets you put in the trixie.

Kahuna- $1.30 for Hawthorn is not 'juicy' odds. Hawthorn are one of the most out of form teams in the league at the moment and only look like half the team they were last year. West Coast have played three very impressive games and one shocking game, their form reads much better than Hawthron, not to mention they have hardly any injuries.

I'm not saying that WC will win but IMO Haw are the worst value team of the round, I can't see any justification for odds of $1.3 being 'juicy'. For odds that short to be 'juicy' it would have to be something like Geel vs Freo, they are just such dangerous odds.

The Calrton v WB game will be the most interesting, im interested to see how both teams line up. But in terms of punting I agree with you guys and think the value for this week might be with Port, although personally I can never be sure of who Im backing until we see the teams.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL Punting Preview - Round 5

Remove this Banner Ad

Back