AFL rejects proposal for names on jumpers

Remove this Banner Ad

I tell you what, I'm surprised that the social media reaction appears to be 70/30 in favour of having names. 10 years ago it would have been the opposite IMO.

It's still a completely pointless exercise absolutely nobody was asking for though. If the Giants hadn't posed the question would anybody even be thinking about this right now?

The payoff for having the surname is a smaller number, which ironically makes it harder to discern which player it is.

I’d be fine with it if the above number sponsor was removed, but that will never happen.

The above the number sponsor was brought in during covid, no? With the reasoning being that with people not present at games clubs needed the revenue. I thought the understanding was they'd disappear once crowds came back.

I’m prob old school, but there’s something special to me wearing 23 and knowing it could simultaneously display my love for guys like Weddle, Buddy and Derm all at once.

You still can get that though even if they put names on the back. In my experience with soccer shirts you can still get the option for just the number on the back without a name to it.

Same way you can get a club jumper now without a number on it, even though that's been around for years.

Clubs will customize it to however you want it.

Some of those Vic commentators may start getting the Freos player names right.
I don't think Jason Bennett and Anthony Hudson need help.

Brian Taylor - WA
James Brayshaw - WA
Basil Zempilas - WA (and thankfully also MIA)
Dwayne Russell - SA
Luke Darcy - SA
Kelli Underwood - SA
Hamish McRompin - SA

The Giants made an official submission to place player names on their guernseys. It’s said to have only been supported by a few other clubs, with the league rejecting the proposal based largely on a desire for uniformity across all clubs.

I think they’ve got it right. When they tried it it just looked off… if it was a name and a number it might be okay, but Sponsor - [Club acronym for some] - Name - Number - Sponsor just looked way too busy.
Wow I'm suprised.

For the blow in fans it would really help them. For causuals it would help them.

It seems like a perfect move by the AFL to attract casuals and an afl thing to do.

Just imagine an afl swiftie mania event occuring the AFL will rue to regret this. Very short sighted

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't think Jason Bennett and Anthony Hudson need help.

Brian Taylor - WA
James Brayshaw - WA
Basil Zempilas - WA (and thankfully also MIA)
Dwayne Russell - SA
Luke Darcy - SA
Kelli Underwood - SA
Hamish McRompin - SA
James Brayshaw left WA in 1991.
Brian Taylor left WA in 1979.

I'm sure Western Australians will agree with me, those two are Victorians.

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL rejects proposal for names on jumpers

Remove this Banner Ad

Back