AFL Silver Membership Waitlist Number Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Originally afl membership was free attendance to grandfinal . The vfl park members were offered membership . Only Melbourne an Richmond were home teams in 92 at the G . Great value for those supporters . Eventually other sides like Collingwood , Carlton , Hawks became based there . In 2010 collingwood supporters joined on mass .gold silver bronze was introduced .medallion club medallion , corporates , and high paying interstate members diluted the reserve capacity particular level 2 seats availability . Covid forced prepaid seats . Post covid still havent changed that in relation to getting prime seats. Not forgetting paying for grand final seats

I recall an old mate from long ago having VFL membership in the 80’s and making mention because it was free on GF day they would line up in early morning outside the G in a first in best dressed situation with no reserved seating. Would watch the U19’s, then reserves Grand Finals before the seniors one.

Always amazes me how the Gold membership is priced more than Silver with the only difference being week 3 of the finals and GF when if you’re lucky with Russian Roulette you need to fork out more for a ticket. Yet they don’t have the capacity for all Gold members who want to go so those people are paying more for their membership with no benefit.

But considering the AFL are a bunch of tight ass money grabbing vultures, it doesn’t come as a surprise.
Yep did it at the 94 GF, got there at 7 am and it was first in best dressed like the MCC.

I emailed the AFL members department last year and there is no cap on silver/bronze members.

I think as members we need to have better view of where our seats and tickets are going. For all games, grand finals, finals, and big home and away.

The MCC wouldn’t put up with their seats being randomly taken by corps, hangers on, and “theatre goers”.

The AFL members funded part of the southern stand, and Docklands (thru the sale of waverly), so think rather than bitch we need to start to get ask questions.

maybe we could our names to a message that we could send thru to the AFL or via the ALFMA with our concerns.
Would need to be someone more articulate than me though 🙄, but happy to help.

Yep did it at the 94 GF, got there at 7 am and it was first in best dressed like the MCC.

I emailed the AFL members department last year and there is no cap on silver/bronze members.

I think as members we need to have better view of where our seats and tickets are going. For all games, grand finals, finals, and big home and away.

The MCC wouldn’t put up with their seats being randomly taken by corps, hangers on, and “theatre goers”.

The AFL members funded part of the southern stand, and Docklands (thru the sale of waverly), so think rather than bitch we need to start to get ask questions.

maybe we could our names to a message that we could send thru to the AFL or via the ALFMA with our concerns.
Would need to be someone more articulate than me though 🙄, but happy to help.
Yeah you can add me to that message

It’s ok everyone the AFL will redeem themselves by giving us presale to Travis Scott. Who is Travis Scott you may ask? Good question!

I thought Travis Scott was some random name you’d generated… just saw the email from AFL members saying I can get tickets to Travis Scott Circus Maximus … I still don’t know who he is, is a circus performer, or is it a krusty demons FMX type deal?

I thought Travis Scott was some random name you’d generated… just saw the email from AFL members saying I can get tickets to Travis Scott Circus Maximus … I still don’t know who he is, is a circus performer, or is it a krusty demons FMX type deal?
I actually do know who he is.
He’s a rapper. Popular amongst GenZ (I assume he’s still popular anyway) Not sure what the crossover between AFL Member and Travis Scott fan would be though.

He’s a rapper. Popular amongst GenZ (I assume he’s still popular anyway) Not sure what the crossover between AFL Member and Travis Scott fan would be though.
Prob 1/100, I actually thought he was a country singer lol.
These "offers" are the AFL's way of trying to make out like your membership is more than just footy so the value is limitless when in reality 99/100 people couldn't give 2 shits about early access to crap that in reality you will be able to get a ticket to without any issue.
We have AFL membership for footy not the bloody Krusty Clown motocross Allstars or whatever.

My 2 cents and it won't be popular is give priority access to so called blockbuster games to club support members first.
After that everyone else gets a crack, maybe it's just me but on the rare occasion I do attend a game between two neutral sides I don't give a crap where I sit, not my teams don't care and if you are that desperate to go watch Carlton v Collingwood as a neutral you will in all likely hood just be happy to get a seat wherever that seat may be.

Oh yeah GF access always club support first, if that goes I think a lot will go and maybe that is in reality what the AFL wants.

I don't know, I'm pretty stoked that as an AFL Member I can get tickets to Travis Scott

Just a couple of thought bubbles, mentioned some in previous posts.

• Make the AFL membership exclusive, like MCC
  • Introduce cap of member number (platinum thru bronze). waiting list create an exclusivity
  • Photo ID member card, can be phased in so that any families that share tickets have time to sign up for own membership
  • set minimum number of GF seats available to members (locked in). If it reduces members have to be advised as to the reasons
  • Gold members of supporting clubs get guaranteed (within reason) seat if they want it. this may mean capping gold club support of big 4. What ever is left goes to Gold, and so on.
  • Gold members can flag at points in the later part of the season, if they intend not go to the GF. they then can be given a $100 discount on next years member fees. If you dont flag, and still dont go, bad luck.
  • Better facilities i.e. a long room type bar, that you dont have to buy a dining ticket for.
  • Better communication, and voting rights to the direction of the membership.
  • Buy a season seat in AFL area to all of your clubs home games during H+A season at MCG/Marvel.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I emailed AFL Membership yesterday and enquired about this years upgrades and got this response...

"Our intake for gold generally happens at the beginning and the end of the season, subject to availability. We are hopeful to offer a gold upgrade to eligible members just before finals, if not, at the start of next year.

Given that the waitlist operates on a one-in-one-out system, it makes it hard to predict and allocate upgrades sequentially."

I emailed AFL Membership yesterday and enquired about this years upgrades and got this response...

"Our intake for gold generally happens at the beginning and the end of the season, subject to availability. We are hopeful to offer a gold upgrade to eligible members just before finals, if not, at the start of next year.

Given that the waitlist operates on a one-in-one-out system, it makes it hard to predict and allocate upgrades sequentially."
I would have thought that given they know how many didn't renew this year, it would make it quite easy to predict how many would be upgraded in the next batch. i.e. one in, one out.

Ever since I've been a member they do the Gold upgrades June/July. They did them late July last year. Existing Gold members have until the end of May to renew and once they know how many aren't renewing they can start offering all the upgrades, then after that work out everyone's new wait list number to go on their renewal notice at the end of the year. Looks like they are pushing it out to late August this year.

As for the start of season upgrades, I assume that is people who were 'absentee' and decide to restart and possibly people who had deferred prior year Gold offers and want to now upgrade. They have never been transparent with this stuff though.

I would have thought that given they know how many didn't renew this year, it would make it quite easy to predict how many would be upgraded in the next batch. i.e. one in, one out.
They're trying to figure out how many more to allocate to Medallion club and corporates, then plan how they'll allocate the seats in 2025 before doing it

Travis Scott is pish but I don't know why you'd complain about another benefit.

If the stand was built by the payments of AFL Members, why can't the AFL Members' stand have access to all events? you're building infrastructure used for all events. for stuff like Taylor Swift, it would have been a very nice little benefit.

• Better facilities i.e. a long room type bar, that you dont have to buy a dining ticket for.
  • Buy a season seat in AFL area to all of your clubs home games during H+A season at MCG/Marvel.
Agree massively on these. I rarely buy a beer at the footy but it'd be good to be able to duck into a bar at half time. the between the second-third tiers (at 'G) is actually pretty nice.

Season seats are also a good shout but there needs to be a way to enforce it, which is too hard to do: how often are you going to get a walk-up who can't get a seat, then looks at the 'season seat section' and sees it half empty but unavailable to entry?

• Make the AFL membership exclusive, like MCC
  • Introduce cap of member number (platinum thru bronze). waiting list create an exclusivity
  • Photo ID member card, can be phased in so that any families that share tickets have time to sign up for own membership
  • set minimum number of GF seats available to members (locked in). If it reduces members have to be advised as to the reasons
  • Gold members of supporting clubs get guaranteed (within reason) seat if they want it. this may mean capping gold club support of big 4. What ever is left goes to Gold, and so on.
  • Gold members can flag at points in the later part of the season, if they intend not go to the GF. they then can be given a $100 discount on next years member fees. If you dont flag, and still dont go, bad luck.
  • Better communication, and voting rights to the direction of the membership.
Why should photo ID be phased in? Just bring it in immediately. It's been a rule forever that memberships are non transferable so anybody abusing it is just wasting a seat for someone else.

Why should photo ID be phased in? Just bring it in immediately. It's been a rule forever that memberships are non transferable so anybody abusing it is just wasting a seat for someone else.
You know why they don't? Because they sell seats to club members, Telstra customers, give them to sponsors and so on. So they wouldn't know who to ask. The only way would be to use a dedicated gate for AFL members.

Do the MCC still get "walk up" access to concerts @ MCG?

seeing as the AFL owns Marvel, blocks of tickets to cricket/concerts etc at Marvel and maybe MCG, available to Gold members at a discount (or free) would be a huge benefit.

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL Silver Membership Waitlist Number Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back