AFL Silver Membership Waitlist Number Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Gone up $90 in two seasons 🤬
Value has increased though...

No Way Eye Roll GIF by ESPN

Imagining bitching about a small price increase while getting access to one of the best deals in footy; even without guaranteed grand final access.

Why is it so popular? Why are people complaining about the long waitlist? Because it's a freaking amazing deal.

AFL members don't know how good they've got it.

Imagining bitching about a small price increase while getting access to one of the best deals in footy; even without guaranteed grand final access.

Why is it so popular? Why are people complaining about the long waitlist? Because it's a freaking amazing deal.

Oh hello Mr AFL Membership manager

It's still a breakeven point of scanning your barcode to a non-sold out game 28 times across the season (so across 24 weeks of football, just slightly more than one per game average), than otherwise buying a GA ticket at $27 a pop. You can in effect get "free tickets" if you go to more games than that. Games that require reserving a seat in advance would also not be a GA accessible game outside of the reserve, so the value proposition relative to the game's demand scales up in teh same amount - as a gold member you're paying for the equivalent to accessing about 30 games that you otherwise wouldn't and if you go to more you can get them for free.

If you're not a person who would go to 30+ neutral games of a season, and are willing to pay for it, are you really a person who should morally get the access to the Grand Final ticket?

I agree, the whining on here for me is a bit frustrating. It isn't a grand final ticket access membership, it's an all-around AFL membership in which GF access is just one part of the value proposition. The other being that if you go to 30+ games a year, it is the cheapest way of doing so in Melbourne, and shows a certain level of dedication to the sport that that's the reason that person gets priority access to the GF.

14% increase over 2 years during a cost of living crisis

"Small"

😂😂

The 14% increase has already been mentioned.

People are complaining about the long wait list because
a) they were told something else when joining
b) the reason the wait is getting longer is because the AFL having taken away our seats for Medallion Club and also standing room for club members during Grand Finals.

AFL members who think we have it so good must not be aware that a full MCC member (after a super long wait) is now effectively cheaper than AFL Gold (for a GF attendee) as they pay $875 and can walk up to any game, including the GF. Even finals tickets were only $12 to reserve rather than $30 or something for AFL. Sure they don't get entry to that woeful Marvel Stadium, but they can get walk up to all the cricket.

b) the reason the wait is getting longer is because the AFL having taken away our seats for Medallion Club and also standing room for club members during Grand Finals.

AFL members who think we have it so good must not be aware that a full MCC member (after a super long wait) is now effectively cheaper than AFL Gold (for a GF attendee) as they pay $875 and can walk up to any game, including the GF. Even finals tickets were only $12 to reserve rather than $30 or something for AFL. Sure they don't get entry to that woeful Marvel Stadium, but they can get walk up to all the cricket.
That's fair. I accept that to an extent.

But I'd argue the primary reason the waitlist is getting longer is because it is such good value; especially when compared to reserved seat packages for the various individual clubs. And while the majority purchase the membership for the future grand final access, you are still getting incredible value for just H&A and finals access.

Comparing AFL membership to MCC membership is understandable. But if you compare the AFL membership to clubs' reserved seat and grand final packages, the AFL membership is superior.

I think it's fair to be shitty that the waitlist period is getting longer. But I don't think it's the AFL's fault, it's a function of population growth and the insanely good value.

The irony of the increase in prices is that for Silver and Bronze members, the waitlist time will arguably decrease as people choose not to renew due to some people not viewing it as value. Although, anything less than $1000 for grand final access and ostensibly unlimited access to games at the MCG and Marvel is a bargain.

Agree to disagree :)

Sure, but comparing access to the cricket and access to Marvel is on the basis of fundamentally different products. It's an unfair comparison. You're making the comparison because you want to treat both membership categories only through the lens of GF access, which is not what the products are. You yourself state that MCC gets you cricket, and AFL gets you Marvel. Both are meaningful. You don't get to handwave that away because it doesn't suit you.

At the end of the day, an AFL membership helps you avoid a $27 GA ticket cost for a Marvel game if you want to go. You yourself don't have to value that, but then again, no different to the 2 million Melburnians who have no interest in the AFL and also elect not to buy an AFL membership don't value it. You can weigh up your own value proposition but the AFL has only ever advertised the waitlist and GF access as part of an entire value package proposition that's mainly centred on game access. You get discounts/access to Marvel events (yes they could be better but they do exist). The reserve still exists for cricket, it's not as cheap as the MCC but you still get discounts on cricket tickets vs the public etc. Etc.

The AFL could have probably anticipated the waitlist lengthening and communicated that better. But they also had to be open to the possibility of e.g. an interstate team dominating and making several GF's. The fact that e.g Port, Freo, GWS and GC have only made 3 GF's between them since 2011 when law of averages suggests that they should have made 6 or 7, reducing demand for AFL membership if they had, is clearly a factor, for instance.

The AFL could have probably anticipated the waitlist lengthening and communicated that better.
There is no probably about it. Someone else said the increased wait time is not the AFL's fault, but it is because they have taken Medallion club into the AFL reserve. You used to be able to get level 2 pretty easily if you timed it right, but not now. This is surely the reason upgrades have slowed so much.

I am not comparing MCC and AFL because I view them as Grand Final access tickets, but because I support an MCG tenant club and all the games I went to as a neutral this year were (deliberately) at the MCG. So point taken, the value proposition it is quite different for you as a Dogs supporter than for me as a Richmond supporter.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There is no probably about it. Someone else said the increased wait time is not the AFL's fault, but it is because they have taken Medallion club into the AFL reserve. You used to be able to get level 2 pretty easily if you timed it right, but not now. This is surely the reason upgrades have slowed so much.

I am not comparing MCC and AFL because I view them as Grand Final access tickets, but because I support an MCG tenant club and all the games I went to as a neutral this year were (deliberately) at the MCG. So point taken, the value proposition it is quite different for you as a Dogs supporter than for me as a Richmond supporter.
No, because I have a separate Dogs membership and use that to go to Dogs games (yes, I do really go to about 30-35 games of footy a year outside of Dogs home games, this includes Dogs away games in Melbourne)

In terms of value proposition, I view MCG games and Docklands games essentially identical, because I enjoy the AFL so much, that the value of a neutral game is essentially identical as to who is playing (with bias to better quality teams naturally but that's in theory equally divided among the two stadiums). Both grounds are modern, easily accessible by public transport and I have no issue either going alone or finding people to go with, and it's not as if the facilities are miles apart that makes Docklands worse. The stadium itself is newer than the Southern stand, for instance. The idea of a big crowd, while I enjoy the experience and atmosphere, is equally outweighed by a low crowd meaning speed getting in/out/around/space so neither a big or small crowd is better or worse for me

If you don't find you're getting any benefit from access to Docklands games because you support an MCG tenant team that speaks to my original point than sure - you don't have to buy the membership but it's a thing that others value and how it's advertised. It's no different to the fact that you have access to up to 40 games but nobody is hitting the 40 games exactly. But the fact that they can and their likelihood is fairly weight up as part of the value proposition.

Keep in mind that if your club is an MCG tenant club, then the value proposition is against other membership categories with shorter waitlists. Also, you're not really supporting your club as less than $200 goes to the club of support, if the AFL considers the club contribution to only be equivlanet to a cheap GA membership when you nominate your club of support (about a third or a quarter of the membership), why should people buying the membership who understand the ins and outs of it consider the proportion of value relevant to the team they support to be any different to the third or the quarter of why they purchase it?

FWIW it's not that I necessarily disagree with the points being made about squeezing the capacity of the reserve, increases of cost etc. It's just for me (and many others) the membership remains valuable and I would still purchase it even without GF access - it is an eventual bonus and I would argue that my love of football as a neutral is even stronger than some members who support a competing club - but the point I'm trying to make is that it still remains a value purchase for me relative to the fact that a GA ticket costs $27 for a neutral game, I love football, and going to 30+ games a year the membership could cost $800 and I would still pay that amount plus whatever other ancillary benefits (such as cheaper other tickets to cricket, concerts, finals, wait list) which are probably worth a couple hundred a year. I get that that tipping point may be lower than $800 for many others, and I can empathise with the fact people were advertised on the waiting list that has been pushed out - but I don't think it's entirely right to completely ignore that the AFL has correctly advertised and promoted the access to up to 40 games, and it's not the AFL's fault if individuals do not feel as if it's that element they're getting the value from.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL Silver Membership Waitlist Number Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back