AFL to trial goalkicking shot clock

Remove this Banner Ad

Once again the AFL misses the mark, whilst some players take too long, people also want to see exactly where the mark is. If soccer can get refs to carry a shaving cream style foam to mark where free kicks are taken from, why can't the AFL get umpires to do the same and when a player is on the boundary to mark 5m. Do this and we no longer see players pointing to players saying they are too close.

Once again the AFL misses the mark, whilst some players take too long, people also want to see exactly where the mark is. If soccer can get refs to carry a shaving cream style foam to mark where free kicks are taken from, why can't the AFL get umpires to do the same and when a player is on the boundary to mark 5m. Do this and we no longer see players pointing to players saying they are too close.

This !!!

The AFL should be implementing the exact same thing that they use in the soccer. Heres the mark, squirt of foam and bam.

Let me put it this way… Step back and think about it logically.

What type of team will a 30 second shot clock favour? An attacking, high-scoring team like Hawthorn who use the entire field - left to right - with criss-crossing passes and running patterns to patiently build up and create a goal-scoring opportunity? Or the boring defensive teams who flood like crazy, drop everyone back behind the ball, and then use a slingshot, fast break type of offense where they try to get the ball inside fifty as quick as quick as they can?

The AFL never think about these things counter-intuitively. 30 second shot clocks will favour the defensive numbers-behind-the-ball teams. 2014 produced the lowest scores since 1968. The AFL's solution to that is to trial a rule which would play right into the hands of the teams who ruin the game as a spectacle; a rule which would actually disadvantage the highest scoring team in the competition.

I'm not worried about the AFL changing the rules to disadvantage my team. Chances are, the Hawks will either have a new game plan anyway, or will have slipped out of top 4 contention. I'm just referring to the way in which the AFL tries to remedy the curse of defensive footy. They are idiots.

IMO, there is only one rule change they can make which would prevent defensive flooding - penalise teams for having too many men in their defensive half of the ground. Nobody wants to see such a rule come in, but at least it tackles the problem head-on instead of skirting around the problem which the AFL have done since 2006.

I gotta admit, I find it pretty funny that you thought they were introducing an actual shot clock (as in, once you receive possession of the ball you only have 30 seconds to have a shot a goal).

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL to trial goalkicking shot clock

Remove this Banner Ad

Back