AFL : too blind to see it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Stopping the season with a month to go allows momentum to rebuild.

Stopping the season with 1 game to go I think will take away the fever pitch hype - it can’t be hyped up for 2 weeks straight. The casuals are caught up in the hype currently.

Maybe the end of season bye should be with 2 weeks to go in the H&A season - everyone gets a rest but it doesn’t break with momentum of teams or the season or hype

Iltimatel
I like a war of attrition. No breaks, play through.
I like a war of attrition. No breaks, play through.
ultimately this is my preference.

The AFLPA hates it but I’d rather make the flag as hard as possible to win. Lachie Neale types forced to play and perform despite struggling throughout the year to train are great stories and seperate the men from the boys. Love it

The below set-up gives you both a week off at the start of the finals series (for the top-6) and a week off before the Grand Final without extending the number of weeks of the finals series. You get the best of both worlds.

WEEK 1 (byes for 1,2,3,4,5 6,)
1st elimination final:
7 v 10
2nd elimination Final: 8 v 9

WEEK 2
1st Semi Final: 1st vs lowest ranked Elimination final winner (1 v 8)
2nd Semi Final: 2nd vs highest ranked Elimination final winner (2 v 7)
3rd Semi Final : 3 v 6
4th Semi Final : 4 v 5

WEEK 3
1st Preliminary Final: highest ranked team vs lowest ranked team (1 v 4)
2nd Preliminary Final: 2nd-highest ranked team vs 2nd lowest ranked team (2 v 3)

WEEK 4
Bye (ensuring 14 day break for Grand Final)

WEEK 5
Grand Final (1 v 2)

Jam that idea well and truly up your patootie !!

Jam that idea well and truly up your patootie !!

It'll probably come in (I hope) when the AFL moves to a 19-team league. It's clearly a better final-10 the the proposed wildcard mess. And as I stated earlier it gives the top-6 a week off after the last home and away game AND there is a week off before the grand Final without extending the final series. It's win-win.

And it's fairer too. The Preliminary Finals, for example would be 1v4 and 2v3 if the higher teams win through. This can't happen under the current system.

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL : too blind to see it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back