Recruiting AFL Trade & Free Agency X - Club has elected not to fill list spot - Davey returning from injury?

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Was keen on francis-curnow.
We had too many eggs in the daniher basket and now its the wright basket.
That was my desire too (outside of Oliver) Curnow always had that allure of a big bodied mid. Which we might have seen had he been at a club that didn’t have Cripps.

Parish has probably turned out slightly better than I’d have guessed but definitely has a few flaws that were likely as a junior.

Was keen on francis-curnow.
We had too many eggs in the daniher basket and now its the wright basket.

That was my desire too (outside of Oliver) Curnow always had that allure of a big bodied mid. Which we might have seen had he been at a club that didn’t have Cripps.

Parish has probably turned out slightly better than I’d have guessed but definitely has a few flaws that were likely as a junior.
Was the same. Francis and Curnow although I was of the view that Curnow could possibly do a bit of a midfield role along with the forward stuff.
Was not that I did not like Parish but I just though he was a bit small for an inside midfielder.

Guess what we did not know with Francis was what was going to happen as far as mental health issues and being away from his support base and the fact his athleticism / engine was not going to improve. If I had met his parents before the draft I would have had doubts on him as both are a bit like me. A bit on the bigger side and not very athletic looking. Had looked back at a few of his SA games I have saved and he could play. Very much in the style of Goddard when he was at half back.

Didn't Curnow get done for drink driving the night before the draft or something dumb like that?

Seemed like a decent enough reason to not risk a good pick on him if that was a sign he was going to end up being a ****wit.

Didn't Curnow get done for drink driving the night before the draft or something dumb like that?

Seemed like a decent enough reason to not risk a good pick on him if that was a sign he was going to end up being a *******.
And refused the breatho

Seemed like a decent enough reason to not risk a good pick on him if that was a sign he was going to end up being a *******.
18yos can and will do stupid things and it not be part of their anatomy

Hurley and the taxi driver a perfect example.

If it was a trend, sure. Think we missed a trick both on the development of francis and not suring up a quality chf to pair with daniher.
For a guy who talks spine first, dodoro has spent a lot of time neglecting it.

If it was a trend, sure. Think we missed a trick both on the development of francis and not suring up a quality chf to pair with daniher.
a lot of almost guys over the years that have been on our list

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You can pay 95% of the cap a few years if you choose. I’d keep most of the cash this year and go after someone at the end of next year. Take our picks get more talent. Really don’t think paying Brayshaw 700+ is worth it. oliver is a free agent next year. I’d tempt him with a mill plus.
I think Oliver thrives because of the role players around him allowing him to. Great player but hes not the guy thats going to want to play a selfless team role. I think we'd struggle to get the best out of him currently and he has shown to sook it up when things arent going his way. Brayshaw has proven he's willing to do whatever the coach needs him to do to try and win. Ultimate team player. Thats the kind of leadership we're missing. 700k while we're at this stage of a rebuild for a character of his type would be an absolute bargain, especially with the cap space we have.

Rumour at the time was that he wanted to go to Carlton with his brother and acted up so he fell to their 3rd. Think it was Gold Coast that were very keen on him before the ‘incident’.

I think Oliver thrives because of the role players around him allowing him to. Great player but hes not the guy thats going to want to play a selfless team role. I think we'd struggle to get the best out of him currently and he has shown to sook it up when things arent going his way. Brayshaw has proven he's willing to do whatever the coach needs him to do to try and win. Ultimate team player. Thats the kind of leadership we're missing. 700k while we're at this stage of a rebuild for a character of his type would be an absolute bargain, especially with the cap space we have.
Aren't Geelong keen on Brayshaw?

I'd be looking at Hopper personally... if the price is right.

With GWS' salary cap squeeze, it looks like they'll shed one of him or Taranto. I feel Hopper will be slightly cheaper but just as good/better for what we're after.

Something like...

Ess receive: Hopper + Future second + 59
GWS receive: Future first + 21

With GWS' salary cap squeeze, it looks like they'll shed one of him or Taranto. I feel Hopper will be slightly cheaper but just as good/bette for what we're after.

Something like...

Best part is mccartney waiting a year for the fist :p

With GWS' salary cap squeeze, it looks like they'll shed one of him or Taranto. I feel Hopper will be slightly cheaper but just as good/better for what we're after.

Something like...

We haven't really benefited from the salary squeeze at GWS before. If their cap is about to blow up i say let it truly blow up and wait for whats on offer. Future 1st and 21 for Hopper and a future 2nd is way overs and would ge the deal done without a logjam in the midfield and a salary cap squeeze.

With the reported salary cap squeeze on at the Dogs surely we get back in the ear with out - of - contract Bulldog, Josh Dunkley.

Offer 5 years, front load a serious offer, watch the Dogs squark and then move on if they decide to lose him for nothing.

Toby McClean as a mercurial forward/midfielder (unrestricted free agent) is another Dog we could potentially target.

She other out of contract free agents worth considering;

Alex Pearce (Fremantle) as a stop gap key defender.

Daniel Howe (Hawthorn) is one that is intriguing. Can he be our version of George Hewitt? Defensive midfielder?

And as we've touched on the last few days, absorbing a high paying salary would help us pay the floor of our own salary cap. A guy like Brayden Fiorini could be had imho, would help pad out our own midfield as well.

With the reported salary cap squeeze on at the Dogs surely we get back in the ear with out - of - contract Bulldog, Josh Dunkley.

Offer 5 years, front load a serious offer, watch the Dogs squark and then move on if they decide to lose him for nothing.

Toby McClean as a mercurial forward/midfielder (unrestricted free agent) is another Dog we could potentially target.

Daniel Howe (Hawthorn) is one that is intriguing. Can he be our version of George Hewitt? Defensive midfielder?

And as we've touched on the last few days, absorbing a high paying salary would help us pay the floor of our own salary cap. A guy like Brayden Fiorini could be had imho, would help pad out our own midfield as well.
Dunkley seems more likely than Brayshaw anyway. Both Melbourne and Freo just seem a more natural fit for Brayshaw.

Not sure I would be looking at stop gap KPD . From what I have seen of Brand and Eyre in the last 4 or 5 weeks they are on track to play a role. Reid will be better if he can finish off the year and get a good pre season and then there is Cox who was great at CHB before we drafted him. Also have Stewart who can help lug a gap.
We are not winning premiership’s next year.
Not enough list spots to be bringing in more defenders.

What are you giving up for Dunkley though? Future 1st?

Alex Pearce isn’t leaving Freo to be a stop gap defender. He’d be leaving for a minimum 4 year deal. I’d say he’ll stay at freo on 3-4 years.

What are you giving up for Dunkley though? Future 1st?

Alex Pearce isn’t leaving Freo to be a stop gap defender. He’d be leaving for a minimum 4 year deal. I’d say he’ll stay at freo on 3-4 years.
id be comfortable on both fronts tbh.

Pearce gives Reid/Brand/Eyre time to develop and be AFL ready. Pressure on spots never hurts too. I'd also like to see someone who can take best FF, so Reid can play CHB and Laverde can become our backline general/organiser as a 3rd tall.
F1 for Dunks i'm ok with too. Dunkley improves us in a critical area.

Add Dunkley & Pearce
Draft strategy of Sheezel, Davey's and do what we can to trade up (2nd + F2 to Swans for 1st & F2) and look to add best we can get

Ridley Pearce Laverde
Redman Reid McGrath
Merrett Dunkley Martin
Perkins Jones Langford
Sheezel Wright Stringer
Draper Parish Shiel
D'Ambrosio Hobbs Snelling Caldwell
with likes of Kelly, Hind, Guelfi, Cox, Heppell, Stewart, Durham and co also options for best 22 selections.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back