Recruiting AFL Trade & Free Agency XII - 💰💰💰

Remove this Banner Ad

Ridley is a genuinely good interceptor, 3rd tall defender whom Scot refuses to play to his strengths.
Both Martin playing wing and Ridley having to play on the second big forward is clearly a personnel problem. Scott would love to free up Ridley and play Martin forward/ wing/mid.

In Martin’s case, Leverde Heppell McKay Kelly McGrath and arguably McGrath and redman are all average to poor kicks, we struggled to create from the back half hence the need for Martin to play back there.
I have a feeling we might see McGrath back in patches next season if we don’t find some footskills back there.

In Ridleys case without Baldwin and Reid for the entire year we relied on Ridley having to play on the number 2 because we have seen how leverde goes on those types.

Once we replace a couple in the d50 who are better kicks we will see those moves made. Luckily we already have Reid and Baldwin who are very good kicks for key backs on our list already

Both Martin playing wing and Ridley having to play on the second big forward is clearly a personnel problem. Scott would love to free up Ridley and play Martin forward/ wing/mid.

In Martin’s case, Leverde Heppell McKay Kelly McGrath and arguably McGrath and redman are all average to poor kicks, we struggled to create from the back half hence the need for Martin to play back there.
I have a feeling we might see McGrath back in patches next season if we don’t find some footskills back there.

In Ridleys case without Baldwin and Reid for the entire year we relied on Ridley having to play on the number 2 because we have seen how leverde goes on those types.

Once we replace a couple in the d50 who are better kicks we will see those moves made. Luckily we already have Reid and Baldwin who are very good kicks for key backs on our list already
Houston would be super handy.

D’Ambrossio had a bit of arseh*le in him and our culture couldn’t handle it. Agree with Lloyd’s point he made - Jones, Cox, Perkins I’ll add McGrath, Wright, Daveys… a very nice football club.
Massimo was very skilled by foot, which is a skill we definitely need. But mass was as soft as any player on our list. I would have given him a two year deal, but he didn’t get it and he left. Missing his skill but he ain’t some tough “arseh*le” player

I called us boring in pre season, Caldwell and Duz have helped a lot, but still very boring
you cant change the mistakes of the past but it does feel like theyve tried to address it a bit recently with Caldwell/Duz/Hobbs (hobbs has the angry pills but just needs some more composure with ball in hand). ALso think Caddy is a step in right direction, he has a bit of arrogance and competitiveness about him.

you cant change the mistakes of the past but it does feel like theyve tried to address it a bit recently with Caldwell/Duz/Hobbs (hobbs has the angry pills but just needs some more composure with ball in hand). ALso think Caddy is a step in right direction, he has a bit of arrogance and competitiveness about him.
Come to think of it they're all country boys

Massimo was very skilled by foot, which is a skill we definitely need. But mass was as soft as any player on our list. I would have given him a two year deal, but he didn’t get it and he left. Missing his skill but he ain’t some tough “arseh*le” player
Well he’s now close to All Australian, and he’s playing with more confidence then majority of our list.

If you want a more glaring example of our recruitment not aligning to what our coach wants look no further.

We wouldn’t give him a two year deal because of his defensive deficiencies… when he was never a physical defensive stopper to begin with but was a brilliant user of the footy. This was litterally what came out of our review, the left hand not talking to the right hand with list management decisions.

Well he’s now close to All Australian, and he’s playing with more confidence then majority of our list.

If you want a more glaring example of our recruitment not aligning to what our coach wants look no further.

We wouldn’t give him a two year deal because of his defensive deficiencies… when he was never a physical defensive stopper to begin with but was a brilliant user of the footy. This was litterally what came out of our review, the left hand not talking to the right hand with list management decisions.
Yeh I agree, but he isn’t some tough arseh*le player like you suggested.

I agree with playing in a better side, when role players get celebrated. But cox is also an elite endurance athlete, maybe not world class but unbelievable for his height. If you can’t see similarities in their skill sets we will never agree.
Let’s agree to disagree.. you take Blicavs I’ll take Cale Morton 😉

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There is no explanation or excuse that can be given for letting Massimo walk than it it simply being a huge error of judgment and a clear mistake.
The fact a lot will argue we let him go because he doesn’t depend but will then grab some pop corn and cheer for the likes of McGrath, Redman ect..

Think they took a deep dive in the kids pool.
If we trade Shiel / Hobbs / Tsatas who the **** are we playing in the midfield and yes clubs will come for Bryan but if we let him go are we going to ruck Perter Wright ?
Hobbs was only out of the side because he got injured and did not get back in because they rushed Parish back.
Tsatas has almost got the kicking issues sorted. Sorted not fixed as he hardly kicks it when he is running flat out and when he is in space and steady he just looks to kick it 40 meters rather trying to kick the cover of it to get 50.
Would seriously be the dumbest thing ever if we traded Hobbs or Bryan or Tsatas

If we kept Mass he would not have been lining up on a wing for us . That was not the plan. The reason he fits on the wing with the Hawks is there midfield has Newcombe 187 cm / Worpel 186 cm / Nash / 198 cm / Day 191 cm . The midfield has height and some marking power so the do not need it on the wing . There is no chance we where playing D'Ambrosio on the wing. If they offered 2 years at the start and he stayed he would have been half back and Martin and Duursma would have shared the wing with Cox.
The mistake that lead to D'Ambrosio not being protected from poaching is the list was not set up to use him in a spot where he could shine. Given we have a bunch of 180cm midfielders we need to be running / finding tall wings who can mark and push forward and back to be dangerous forward and an extra hand in the back half. D'Ambrosio gets 3 ticks for disposal but a blank for defensive transition, a blank for marking and a blank for contested possessions. So it was basically one elite trait out of 4 we could really use.
I am pretty confident he would not have been as effective with us. Yes it would have been good to have him playing loose at half back and use his kicking skills and have Martin on a wing but we still would have had trouble covering the back half unless we changed the whole system we use and played a loose in defense and one short forward .
He is a good player and is playing great footy at the hawks which I predicted he would in the role he was given . If we have not had so many small midfielders and as a whole average contested ball winners he would still be with us.

The play for us to get in front of the Kako bid may well be find someone 23 or under who we could trade our first round pick for and maybe get a third round back the other way . Would not be a Houston type and I have no ideas right now as I have not looked much but surely there is someone we could trade pick 8-10 for who is young and good. Otherwise we are likely to just land Kako which is not terrible but not the best result.

The play for us to get in front of the Kako bid may well be find someone 23 or under who we could trade our first round pick for and maybe get a third round back the other way . Would not be a Houston type and I have no ideas right now as I have not looked much but surely there is someone we could trade pick 8-10 for who is young and good. Otherwise we are likely to just land Kako which is not terrible but not the best result.
So Braeden Campbell huh?

So Braeden Campbell huh?
Something along those lines. And yes I have questioned him being a fit before but it may be the play. Something along those lines .

Remove this Banner Ad

Recruiting AFL Trade & Free Agency XII - 💰💰💰

Remove this Banner Ad

Back