Recruiting AFL Trade & Free Agency XII - 💰💰💰

Remove this Banner Ad

I know it's cool aid stuff but I don't think we are THAT far away, it's a few key pieces that are ruining are game but we do I think have a core of our next good team

B Ridley McKay ...............
Hb Roberts Reid ..............
C Duursma Merrett Martin
Hf .............. Caddy Jones
F .............. ............. Langford
R- Bryan Caldwell Durham
Int Perkins Redman ............. ..............

Havent given up on Reid McKay combo yet
Haven't given up on Perkins as a roaming flanker

Desperately need a solid marking tall fwd, some class crumbers/pressure and some more class movement off Hb along with a proper lockdown small

Not suggesting these are the players we get, but I'm talking players like..

Tall marking fwd - Van Rooyen type
Class crumbers - Kozi/weightman types
Class movers off hb - Whitfield/Young/Richards type (pre their midfield moves)
Lockdown small who can use- Maynard/Hardwick type

If we convert half of our entries wed probably have won 5 more games this year and be deep in the 8, even with our fragile mentality.

Kako and Noah Caracella would address the smalls (with the still developing Daveys)

Draper out

Try to get Dante Visentini and Dante, Vigo and Bryan all 22 or under compete for the #1 ruck

Guelf to WCE - if he has kids they play for us
Stringer delist or trade - his kids play for us
Shiel for a token 3rd (or future pick)

Take any offers for Langford and Parish - we're stuck with Spuddy McGrath

Kako and Noah Caracella would address the smalls (with the still developing Daveys)

Draper out

Try to get Dante Visentini and Dante, Vigo and Bryan all 22 or under compete for the #1 ruck

Guelf to WCE - if he has kids they play for us
Stringer delist or trade - his kids play for us
Shiel for a token 3rd (or future pick)

Take any offers for Langford and Parish - we're stuck with Spuddy McGrath

Why throw Langford away ?

A: he will thrive again when 2nd or 3rd banana
B: he's clearly playing hampered

I know it's cool aid stuff but I don't think we are THAT far away, it's a few key pieces that are ruining are game but we do I think have a core of our next good team

B Ridley McKay ...............
Hb Roberts Reid ..............
C Duursma Merrett Martin
Hf .............. Caddy Jones
R- Bryan Caldwell Durham

Havent given up on Reid McKay combo yet
Haven't given up on Perkins as a roaming flanker

Desperately need a solid marking tall fwd, some class crumbers/pressure and some more class movement off Hb along with a proper lockdown small

Not suggesting these are the players we get, but I'm talking players like..

Tall marking fwd - Van Rooyen type
Class crumbers - Kozi/weightman types
Class movers off hb - Whitfield/Young/Richards type (pre their midfield moves)
Lockdown small who can use- Maynard/Hardwick type

If we convert half of our entries wed probably have won 5 more games this year and be deep in the 8, even with our fragile mentality.
I think we're alot closer, this is how I would structure onfield.

B Ridley McKay McGrath
Hb Roberts Reid Merrett
C Duursma Hobbs Martin
Hf Caldwell Caddy Jones
R- Bryan Tsatas Durham

Last edited:
It is not just an excuse. It is simply reality. It is a totally different situation. We have to do what Richmond or Melbourne did and fix the problem of years and years of poor everything before we can say why can we not be like the Hawks. You are in the housing industry . The comparison is you can not build a good house on crap foundations. The Hawks have the foundations. The just had to renovate the house. We have a knock down and build again that has had some bodgy renovations attempted along the way.
The simple fact is too many mistakes have been made.
We now pretty much have a new team to try and fix it but like life there are no guarantees.
It is really only 1 season with all the key players we have now looking to fix the problem.
Do not want to sound like I am saying these guys will get it done. It took Richmond 37 years to get it done. The only thing that is different is we have gone with an all new team and not just had a couple of people come in with all the usual suspects. For now that is all we can do. If they get it wrong then all we can do is start with another new team.
That is our lot.
We are not Hawthorn because we have not built the culture or had anything close to success to build on . We are probably not even the Tigers in Hardwicke's first year as we have no Dusty or Riewodlt and co.

We just need to draft better. Caddy and Roberts already have a way better foundation than most of our senior players. That hasn't been taught by us. That is who they are.

If we were to draft Lalor this year, do you think he would shy away from contact like our mids? Would Reid and Draper not lower their eyes? Would Lindsay and Travaglia not cover ground at will? Obviously not. Because it is who they are.

Dodoro/RFK have been drafting players who are incompatible with modern football. Culture is as players are.

Where do we start, seriously.

Presumably with a list of keepers. Players who have shown effort toughness and resolve while playing for a bad team.

Everyone not on that list gets traded provided positive value can be found. Be it draft picks, younger players or prime aged players that represent a list need

Then cycle through.

What we need.
Size in the midfield 3x186+ players with strong frames and good kicks. Hopefully Tsatas is one but still need 2 more.

That would do a lot to fix lost of our issues

Go after English.
Doc Rivers Basketball GIF

I'd be floating Langford for trade ahead of Stringer. I think we would get a better return and he doesn't have the X-factor that Jake has. Even if we bottom out, we still want some bums on seats.

Also, Jake is older than Langford so it will be easier to free up that position in 2-3 years when we finally (hopefully) make a real push and/or have a promising player to take over.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We just need to draft better. Caddy and Roberts already have a way better foundation than most of our senior players. That hasn't been taught by us. That is who they are.

If we were to draft Lalor this year, do you think he would shy away from contact like our mids? Would Reid and Draper not lower their eyes? Would Lindsay and Travaglia not cover ground at will? Obviously not. Because it is who they are.

Dodoro/RFK have been drafting players who are incompatible with modern football. Culture is as players are.
Of course drafting matters . It is part of building the culture. It is why the Hawks are where they are now. They got their drafting right in the early 2000's and they are now doing it again.

I'd be floating Langford for trade ahead of Stringer. I think we would get a better return and he doesn't have the X-factor that Jake has. Even if we bottom out, we still want some bums on seats.

Also, Jake is older than Langford so it will be easier to free up that position in 2-3 years when we finally (hopefully) make a real push and/or have a promising player to take over.
X factor? you mean someone who shows up once in every 10 games or so and has no clutch factor about him at all. I go to the footy to watch good players play like Langford (when he's not clearly injured), not someone who's a downhill skier.

An issue I can foresee if let’s say Kelly, Heppell, Goldstein, Laverde, Hind and Weideman go, or even 4-5 of them is that Scott doesn’t seem to have immediate trust in the tier below.

They all go and it’s a skinny pool to pick from unless his attitude changes quite quickly and quite dramatically.

It may mean we go to the well with more mature recycled types, which can be fraught with danger.

Wonder whether we would look to the Lions who are bursting at the seams with talent and try to pick off a two for one or a late pick in exchange for one and then a DFA. Fraught, but might have to do it.

An issue I can foresee if let’s say Kelly, Heppell, Goldstein, Laverde, Hind and Weideman go, or even 4-5 of them is that Scott doesn’t seem to have immediate trust in the tier below.

They all go and it’s a skinny pool to pick from unless his attitude changes quite quickly and quite dramatically.

It may mean we go to the well with more mature recycled types, which can be fraught with danger.

Wonder whether we would look to the Lions who are bursting at the seams with talent and try to pick off a two for one or a late pick in exchange for one and then a DFA. Fraught, but might have to do it.

Let’s break it down by player

Most teams typically have 1 spot for a mature third ruck so replacing Goldy with an equivalent player seems pretty normal (and cost effective)

Weid: going into next year we should have 4 KPD on the list McKay Cox, Reid, Hayes. Given Reid’s fragility you’d want 1 more and a big mature body to add toughness and leadership to the VFL side (poor man’s McKay) shouldn’t cost too much) shouldn’t play AFL unless McKay injured.

Lav: would be shocked if he left. Would prioritise keeping: Baldwin could potentially fill his role if he were to leave

Hind: a small zippy player. Kako replaces him

Kelly, Heppell,

Team should be prioritising a wing/medium defensive mid in the first round and these types of players are typically ready to play yr1 if drafted at the top of the first round and sometimes even later.

Also worth noting that none of these players are best 22 this year if healthy. So replacing them is more about building sustainable depth in the VFL then anything else

Last edited:

Most teams typically have 1 spot for a mature third ruck so replacing Goldy with an equivalent player seems pretty normal (and cost effective)

Weid: going into next year we should have 4 KPD on the list McKay Cox, Reid, Hayes. Given Reid’s fragility you’d want 1 more and a big mature body to add toughness and leadership to the VFL side (poor man’s McKay) shouldn’t cost too much) shouldn’t play AFL unless McKay injured.

Lav: would be shocked if he left. Would prioritise keeping

Kelly, Heppell,

Team should be prioritising a wing/medium defensive mid in the first round and these types of players are typically ready to play yr1 if drafted at the top of the first round and sometimes even later.

Also worth noting that none of these players are best 22 this year if healthy. So replacing them is more about building sustainable depth in the VFL then anything else

Come on man. What were the injuries that kept Goldy, Heppell and Kelly in the side?

You can not like it, but those 3 were unquestionably in Scott’s best 22

Lav: would be shocked if he left. Would prioritise keeping

Kelly, Heppell,

Yeah I don’t think it’s an issue, the issue is who he trusts.

He’s got enough of a track record now at Essendon to show that he doesn’t necessarily trust the kids as he should, and if we do a bit of a cull, he’ll have to.

The young player that he’s placed the most genuine trust in to play a key role is Reid at CHB. Reid has basically gone straight into the seniors whenever he’s available.

Come on man. What were the injuries that kept Goldy, Heppell and Kelly in the side?

You can not like it, but those 3 were unquestionably in Scott’s best 22

He could have handled the Goldy thing better. But Draper was injured to start the season the Wright got 4 weeks which kept a spot open for a tall player.

Probably should have trusted Bryan earlier. Seems to have the spot now. So not an issue moving forward.

As For Kelly/Heppell

Season started with Ridley injured so Heppell had his spot early.

Moving Martin to HB and Durham Inside opened up a bunch of minutes on the Wing (and sent Sheil to the VFL) and Scott spent most of the year experimenting there.

Hepp’s retired so not an issue next year and currently both Ridley and Dursma are injured and Cox was out with concussion leaving a huge minute opportunity at Wing/HB which Kelly is filling

He could have handled the Goldy thing better. But Draper was injured to start the season the Wright got 4 weeks which kept a spot open for a tall player.

Probably should have trusted Bryan earlier. Seems to have the spot now. So not an issue moving forward.

As For Kelly/Heppell

Season started with Ridley injured so Heppell had his spot early.

Moving Martin to HB and Durham Inside opened up a bunch of minutes on the Wing (and sent Sheil to the VFL) and Scott spent most of the year experimenting there.

Hepp’s retired so not an issue next year and currently both Ridley and Dursma are injured and Cox was out with concussion leaving a huge minute opportunity at Wing/HB which Kelly is filling

But you said Goldy, Heppell and Kelly only played because of injury. That’s not true at all.

Draper was back by round 3 - and Goldy stayed in.

Heppell stayed in when Ridley returned.

As for Cox, I am assuming you mean the 1 week he’s been out with concussion - what’s that got to do with Kelly playing all year?

I get it if you think they should have been depth (I’d agree) - but they simply weren’t.

But you said Goldy, Heppell and Kelly only played because of injury. That’s not true at all.

Draper was back by round 3 - and Goldy stayed in.

Heppell stayed in when Ridley returned.

As for Cox, I am assuming you mean the 1 week he’s been out with concussion - what’s that got to do with Kelly playing all year?

I get it if you think they should have been depth (I’d agree) - but they simply weren’t.
I intended to say that they would only play (from this point on) due to injury. As had lost best 22 status. Anyway

Draper came back and replaced Wright who was suspended for 4 games in round 2

All 3 played together on Anzac Day due to form and looked pretty good (With Stringer playing Mid)

Goldy was overall good till we played North (Xerri ) in rd 10 and lost Rd11 to Nank

Nick Bryan played Rd12 vs Gold Coast and lost to Moyle

Then Scott did more experimenting. Bryan seems to have solidified his spot the past few weeks. Don’t imagine he would lose it to a VFL mature ager especially with Wright currently the VFL FF

As for Hepp/Kelly

Ridley payed 9 games this year from 11-20 so there was a legitimate spot available the first 10 weeks (and Hepp was good at the start when we actually played with some forward pressure)

From rd 10/11 there were a few injuries and Kelly was the person who just always kept staying in. Because he could play wing/Def

Remove this Banner Ad

Recruiting AFL Trade & Free Agency XII - 💰💰💰

Remove this Banner Ad

Back