Recruiting AFL Trade & Free Agency XII - 💰💰💰

Remove this Banner Ad

Ridley - we thought McKay was a monster 1 on 1 player. He’s not. He’s an interceptor. He can cover Ridley’s position to about 75% - 80% effectiveness. In McKay and Ridley we have far too much money and trade capital locked up in intercept defenders, who really aren’t that hard to find anyway (relatively). It’s the most unaccountable role on the ground.

this season is mckay's worst season for 1 on 1's. I dare say McKay did not become a much worse 1 on 1 player over one off-season. the bigger concern with mckay is his hand-balling

1723948288134.png

So, by your logic, Watson would have been a miss, two years into his career?

What happened to giving players time to develop?

I think him saying ‘looks like’ is a big difference to ‘is’ - he hasn’t written him off. He said he looks like a miss. I personally agree that right now, at pick 5, he looks like a miss.

we currently have an oversupply of key backs as it is..

McKay, Laverde (Ridley) play AFL

Weidemann, Reid (Cox) play VFL

Hayes in the wings as well

I think that is too top heavy whilst the underlined are failed forwards or should be there (in Cox's case)
I don't have any issue with that. I was questioning what you view as being ideal.

I think him saying ‘looks like’ is a big difference to ‘is’ - he hasn’t written him off. He said he looks like a miss. I personally agree that right now, at pick 5, he looks like a miss.
But it’s just so early to make that call, regardless. If I made the call that he looks like he is going to be a star, you would label that as silly as well.

He is a player that is a class above in VFL, he still needs to put on size and clean up his kicking, in which his dedication is second to none. He will make it as a player.

No injury reasons for Kelly. Only reason he keeps getting a game is there are no AFL, listed guys playing back pocket in the VFL.
Whilst i'm not defending Kelly, Scott has to take part of the blame here.
Kelly spent his entire pre-season (or significant chunks of it) playing as a winger as part of a swing role with Martin.
If he's on the list in 2025, it's as a pure small/med defender. Scott needs to figure out who he wants playing wing full time and stick with it.

Whilst i'm not defending Kelly, Scott has to take part of the blame here.
Kelly spent his entire pre-season (or significant chunks of it) playing as a winger as part of a swing role with Martin.
If he's on the list in 2025, it's as a pure small/med defender. Scott needs to figure out who he wants playing wing full time and stick with it.
Think he has already worked out Kelly. The wing ended at in round 9 or so. Pretty sure the wing will be Martin / Duursma.

But it’s just so early to make that call, regardless. If I made the call that he looks like he is going to be a star, you would label that as silly as well.

He is a player that is a class above in VFL, he still needs to put on size and clean up his kicking, in which his dedication is second to none. He will make it as a player.

Not saying it to have a go at you or just to argue, I just think it was an off the cuff comment he made on the spot.

For all the knobs in the media, I reckon he’s not so bad.

Just have to nail a top 10 pick and have them be a top 3 player from the draft, along with Kako becoming a gun small fwd

I think with latter picks id like to throw a few darts at the mature agers - I know weve done this with mixed results. So its not new

But;

Logan evans
Lawson Humphries
Durham
Nic Martin ect types

Only way out of this is to start nailing draft picks more consistently

Just have to nail a top 10 pick and have them be a top 3 player from the draft, along with Kako becoming a gun small fwd

I think with latter picks id like to throw a few darts at the mature agers - I know weve done this with mixed results. So its not new

But;

Logan evans
Lawson Humphries
Durham
Nic Martin ect types

Only way out of this is to start nailing draft picks more consistently
Durham, Martin, D'Ambrosio, Hunter looked like he was going to be handy. I think mature agers can sometimes already have the work ethic required to make it compared to some of the kids out of private school that have had things too easy

So we need two small forwards. Another KPF .
Two half backs with speed . Preferably 188cm range.
A back pocket to replace Kelly. Maybe another to replace McGrath.
The list of need’s just keeps getting longer.
In 12 months time who do you think we’re keeping out of Tex, Daveys, Menzie?

My sense is it will be Tex and ADJ who survive and only if they do they solve a small forward and small defender slot

It’s possible we will go zero from four with that lot - and that’s going to hurt.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In 12 months time who do you think we’re keeping out of Tex, Daveys, Menzie?

My sense is it will be Tex and ADJ who survive and only if they do they solve a small forward and small defender slot

It’s possible we will go zero from four with that lot - and that’s going to hurt.

Not the end of the world.

They were picks 45, 54, an SSP and an MSD pick.

Roll contract $$ into next year

Save the pennies for 2025 FAs

Rayner
Brett Daniels
Andy Brayshaw
LDU
SPP
J.Waterman
Ed Richards

Again, it just shows how reactionary some supporters and media are in this day and age.

Tsatas being a miss? He is two years into the system. That is a laughable comment from GW.

Hawthorn at the start of the year and when they were 0-5 were being questioned about their talent and list build.

Some in the media were talking up Essendon as flag contenders. How can the list be “in the mix for a flag” but also missing the boat?
They also focused on our top picks didn’t mention that we traded for Caldwell and got Martin and Durham from sup and msd, who look to be potential a graders.

Any chance Jammara is gettable. As Darcy improves he may take some limelight, naughton is already signed long term to a huge contract and the Darcy is poised to receive one. They can’t possibly have 3 million dollar players in the same forwardline and potentially 4 on their list with bont

Any chance Jammara is gettable. As Darcy improves he may take some limelight, naughton is already signed long term to a huge contract and the Darcy is poised to receive one. They can’t possibly have 3 million dollar players in the same forwardline and potentially 4 on their list with bont
Naughton is a better defender and will be moved down back. 🎣

List management goal should be to recruit the sort of players that ensure we never need to play Kelly, Laverde, or Menzies in the 23 again.

Im glad Stringer has been left on the market. Anything inside 30 and we offload him

Strong agree. Given our next pick gets eaten up by the Kako bid anyway, I'd happily take a future 2nd which we either hold for next year or us to try and trade back in after Kako this year.

If nothing else we should be making sure they're paying a premium to keep JUH.

Is it crazy to suggest Merrett to HB, Martin to the wing and then give Tsatas way more responsibility in the middle?

Caldwell, Durham and Tsatas has a nice balance to it.

Parish, Shiel & Stringer should be traded for points and a F1st.

I've long said Merrett could / should play off a flank, his weapon is his kicking and decision making, having him beaten up at stoppages isn't necessary.

Tsatas might still be a little light to do it for a full season, but Hobbs should be physically in a good place next season to take a fair amount of inside minutes.

Remove this Banner Ad

Recruiting AFL Trade & Free Agency XII - 💰💰💰

Remove this Banner Ad

Back