Recruiting AFL Trade & Free Agency XII - 💰💰💰

Remove this Banner Ad

Unfortunately we've got him plugged into a not so good side
I feel like this statement is true of a lot of players on our team

It’s weird that the most important attacking midfielder players on the field are HBs and most important defenders are Pressure forwards (and mids holding shape)

Yet these positions are the ones we’ve had the most trouble with but We’ve blamed the players who experienced the flow on effects of that (Key forwards and Defenders) when they’ve mostly done a good job with what they can control

It’s weird that the most important attacking midfielder players on the field are HBs and most important defenders are Pressure forwards (and mids holding shape)

Yet these positions are the ones we’ve had the most trouble with but We’ve blamed the players who experienced the flow on effects of that (Key forwards and Defenders) when they’ve mostly done a good job with what they can control
Our recruitment strategy is always reactive not proactive which means we are playing catch up to current trends.

Crazy to think we had saad/mckenna/AMT/Smith only 5 years ago but had bugger all midfield/key position depth.

I'd love to have Xavier Lindsay on a half back flank permanently. Wanganeen won a brownlow being the attacking half back flanker

Believe it or not, Scott is fighting for his job from the second he walks through the door and he'd be smart enough to know this. He walks in and the first thing he'll notice is the graveyard of coaches that have come before him, of which are many, and he'll know how they all got there and won't want to fall into the same trap.

And, he'll know, or should know, the best way to survive as a coach of the EFC - do the opposite of what's been done for the past 15 years. Every player or person who objects would just be an obstacle to that and he'll know this.

So we still have

Jones, Goldstein, Kelly, Davey and Weideman left uncontacted?

Jones and Setterfield I would be happy to be resigned.

Davey can have another year if he is moved to the rookie list.

Goldstein to retire.

Kelly and Weeds delisted please. (Although I am braced for resigning both)

So we still have

Jones, Goldstein, Kelly, Davey and Weideman left uncontacted?

Jones and Setterfield I would be happy to be resigned.

Davey can have another year if he is moved to the rookie list.

Goldstein to retire.

Kelly and Weeds delisted please. (Although I am braced for resigning both)
Jones hit the trigger for another year but Isuspect there are negotiations for longer.
Weideman could depend on if Laverde is really interested in leaving.

Jones hit the trigger for another year but Isuspect there are negotiations for longer.
Weideman could depend on if Laverde is really interested in leaving.

I am also hoping we are looking at defender depth from elsewhere rather than Weed. With no Laverde we would have

McKay, Reid, Hayes, Weed correct as KPD depth.

The problem we've got is we've dropped 5 already. We trade out/drop 3 or 4 more that's 9 spots.

We have 2 picks inside the 40. Where do you replace all these blokes from? There isn't 9 Nick Martin's running around in the state leagues

I am also hoping we are looking at defender depth from elsewhere rather than Weed. With no Laverde we would have

McKay, Reid, Hayes, Weed correct as KPD depth.
I would not be upset if Weid gets moved on but I think that decision gets made after Trade/FA.

I have no problem trading Stringer and Lav, but I have a problem doing that and extending Menzie and Guelfi. 2 players with little upside and less current talent who lack the attributes to perform roles. I fail to see long term strategy on this.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The problem we've got is we've dropped 5 already. We trade out/drop 3 or 4 more that's 9 spots.

We have 2 picks inside the 40. Where do you replace all these blokes from? There isn't 9 Nick Martin's running around in the state leagues
This is why I would not be looking at any big trades this year as well. We need to get back in a position where we have our normal pick allocations next year.
It is why the Menzie deal does not concern me a lot.
As you mention we would be filling a lot of spots at the very back end of the draft or the SSP.
Not sure why we would do it when no one else takes 4 or 5 picks at that end of the draft where the failure rate is high. Maybe a pick and a couple of SSP spots yes but 4 or 5. No.

I have no problem trading Stringer and Lav, but I have a problem doing that and extending Menzie and Guelfi. 2 players with little upside and less current talent who lack the attributes to perform roles. I fail to see long term strategy on this.
Trading Stringer or Laverde gets us a pick in the third or 4th round.
Delisting too many blokes gets us a lot of picks after 60 or in the SSP. Given the picks after 60 have a low percentage of even playing 50 games let alone being simply good players I personally have no issuse with the one year Menzie deal.
I think that Geulfi should have been 1 year as well.
Different story if we had picks inside the top 50.

Believe it or not, Scott is fighting for his job from the second he walks through the door and he'd be smart enough to know this. He walks in and the first thing he'll notice is the graveyard of coaches that have come before him, of which are many, and he'll know how they all got there and won't want to fall into the same trap.

And, he'll know, or should know, the best way to survive as a coach of the EFC - do the opposite of what's been done for the past 15 years. Every player or person who objects would just be an obstacle to that and he'll know this.
what on earth are you trying to say? this is absolute gibberish.

I would drop Kelly and Weed for sure. Goldstein if he is happy to play a lot of VFL can get another year as depth but I think he will retire.

You would get top 40 picks for Laverde and Stringer (of differing quality) but the issue is they will get chewed up by a Kako bid.

Man this supporter base is so fickle, zach has been the best leader this club has had for ages and all it takes is a beat up article from mcclure of all people, and an anonymous post from a pies supporter and you're all turning on him.
Merrett isn't part of the cultural problem he's the panacea to it.
It literally only says that Merrett met with Scott and 'expressed disappointment' about Laverde and Stringer. Which part is the beat up?

Sounds like someone leaked a fact. That right there is the cultural problem.
If the leak is true, that's part of a cultural problem as well.

No one's saying Merrett isn't our best leader. That's a beat up. No one has turned on him either. That's also a beat up.

People have concerns. That's it.

I would drop Kelly and Weed for sure. Goldstein if he is happy to play a lot of VFL can get another year as depth but I think he will retire.
After losing Heppell and maybe Laverde, then I would guess Weideman and Kelly stay.

We can't go into next year with only Reid and Hayes behind McKay as a genuine KPD.
We are also short on medium defenders as it is.

I wonder if we could figure out a 3 team trade with North and Adelaide where we get pick 2

Something like
Essendon gets pick 2 + points shrapnell
North get pick 4 + 2MP
Adelaide get pick 8 + ???? (28+ F2?)

So we’d be giving up
Pick 8 (significant) 2MP (undervalued) pick 28 ( absorbed by Kako bid so less valuable to us) and F2 (value depends on our finishing position/draft rating)

Maybe even include Redman

ESS get Pick 2 (Langford), Rachelle, shrapnell to match Kako

Adelaide get Redman, Pick 8

North get Pick 4, 2MP

Remove this Banner Ad

Recruiting AFL Trade & Free Agency XII - 💰💰💰

Remove this Banner Ad

Back