Recruiting AFL Trade & Free Agency XII - 💰💰💰

Remove this Banner Ad

Maybe because we now have to replace 40 goals. Where are they coming from?

Don't get me wrong, I'm happy to see them both go, but the point of this potentially making us worse in the short term is entirely valid. Those players need to be replaced by others who are equal or better before we improve. It is conceivable that we get worse. Accept it. It's part and parcel of a list turn over.
Exactly right about list turnover. Also opens up more opportunity for others. Langford and Wright will be better with more space and Caddy will get better week
by week. The biggest problem for me is forward structure. It doesn’t matter who is down there if we have the same set up as this year. One time three players lead into the same lane, next time no one leads and it’s on their heads. Forward coaching has been terrible.

The Reid thing is surely us just keeping an iron in the fire. Could not see him getting out of the Eagles this year.

My prediction is this trade / FA period will be quiet for us.
We’re … not … going … to … win the trade period?
What’s left for us then?

The Reid thing is surely us just keeping an iron in the fire. Could not see him getting out of the Eagles this year.

My prediction is this trade / FA period will be quiet for us.
I think Lav, Stringer and Wright could realistically get traded, I reckon the club would even prefer it but will keep them if nothing comes up.

The problem we've got is we've dropped 5 already. We trade out/drop 3 or 4 more that's 9 spots.

We have 2 picks inside the 40. Where do you replace all these blokes from? There isn't 9 Nick Martin's running around in the state leagues
I think a couple of those delisted thus far were on the rookie list but the point still stands.

This is why I have much time for the people calling for mass delistings, they've gotta be replaced somehow from a fairly limited and competitive talent pool.

Are we sure it will be a quiet trade period?

We need to rebalance our midfield (too small) and a few people with name recognition might be odd people out.

Hypothetically best 18 next year is

Ridley McKay mcgrtah
Redman Reid Roberts
Martin Merrett Dursma
Bryan caldwell Durham
Langford Caddy Perkins
Kako Draper Gresham

That’s quite a few big ish names not in that mix and a few high picks who will want opportunities

Parish, Sheil, Hobbs, Tsatas, Setterfield, Stringer, Cox, Jones, Wright, Hayes, Guelfi, Lav, Davey, Menzie, FRP (11?)

Have to cut these names down to 5 bench players and this is before bringing anyone in via financially lopsided trades and/or Free Agency of whom you would expect to be offered best 22 opportunities if being courted.
That’s about 10 AFL standard players to be stuck in the VFL many of whom wouldn’t be happy in that role.
It makes a lot of sense to make 5-6 moves some of which will be with players with name recognition.

Exactly right about list turnover. Also opens up more opportunity for others. Langford and Wright will be better with more space and Caddy will get better week
by week. The biggest problem for me is forward structure. It doesn’t matter who is down there if we have the same set up as this year. One time three players lead into the same lane, next time no one leads and it’s on their heads. Forward coaching has been terrible.
Having some forwards who have half a brain would be a great start

Are we sure it will be a quiet trade period?

We need to rebalance our midfield (too small) and a few people with name recognition might be odd people out.

Hypothetically best 18 next year is

Ridley McKay mcgrtah
Redman Reid Roberts
Martin Merrett Dursma
Bryan caldwell Durham
Langford Caddy Perkins
Kako Draper Gresham

That’s quite a few big ish names not in that mix and a few high picks who will want opportunities

Parish, Sheil, Hobbs, Tsatas, Setterfield, Stringer, Cox, Jones, Wright, Hayes, Guelfi, Lav, Davey, Menzie, FRP (11?)

Have to cut these names down to 5 bench players and this is before bringing anyone in via financially lopsided trades and/or Free Agency of whom you would expect to be offered best 22 opportunities if being courted.
That’s about 10 AFL standard players to be stuck in the VFL many of whom wouldn’t be happy in that role.
It makes a lot of sense to make 5-6 moves some of which will be with players with name recognition.
Makes sense to us but we are not dealing with other clubs. We are just posting a wish list.
Wright and Parish are likely to stay. At this stage there is no real outside interest in them on the length of deal.
Hobbs has some clubs feeding some of the media about there interest. If we rate him we will keep him.
Shiel does not look like he has any interesred parties at this stage.
There has been rumours around Tsatas but noting concrete.
That pretty much leaves Laverde and Stringer.
Laverde has Carlton maybe kicking the tyres. That may get a third round.
So far no one has been mentioned for Stringer but that is also likely to be 3rd round.
Then you have the bid situation on Kako. I would say we are 90% safe so best case scenario the bid comes in at 10 to 20 we lose our second pick and one of the maybe third round picks if Stringer and Laverde went.
So as much as we would like to be active and clean out another 4 or 5 spots we have our hands tied based on our picks and lack of interest for guys us supporters would like to see traded.
The NGA rule change will help us land Kako but it has also stuffed us as far as not having the draft picks we need to make it work and bring in other players as we where not planing that way. The change came too late.

Makes sense to us but we are not dealing with other clubs. We are just posting a wish list.
Wright and Parish are likely to stay. At this stage there is no real outside interest in them on the length of deal.
Hobbs has some clubs feeding some of the media about there interest. If we rate him we will keep him.
So far no one has been mentioned for Stringer but that is also likely to be 3rd round.
Then you have the bid situation on Kako. I would say we are 90% safe so best case scenario the bid comes in at 10 to 20 we lose our second pick and one of the maybe third round picks if Stringer and Laverde went.
So as much as we would like to be active and clean out another 4 or 5 spots we have our hands tied based on our picks and lack of interest for guys us supporters would like to see traded.
The NGA rule change will help us land Kako but it has also stuffed us as far as not having the draft picks we need to make it work and bring in other players as we where not planing that way. The change came too late.
Is there any chance a club bids on Kako early just to spite us? They wouldn't take on that variable for their own hand?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The topic at hand in relation to Scott was that he was clashing with Merrett (allegedly) over a percieved notion that he was being steadfast in not giving Lav and Stringer, and possibly other players, more years and not bowing to player's demands (including Merrett's).

One trait we've seen in the past few coaches is them doing the opposite. Thus, Scott would be aware of that and where they've ended up and in knowing that the opposite of what we've been doing is more likely to ensure his survival it is therefore understandable that he would be as ruthless, to the point that our players are not used to it (and will percieve it as "mean"), and is something we need to back in as a group.
I still don't understand. What's the actual point here? Scott has seen other coaches get sacked? Other things have happened in the past therefore the won't happen again?

You’re speaking a lot of sense. I just think we get on the front foot. Let’s see how this stuff shakes out after finals.

When it comes to matching Kako I would expect that we trade back from 28 a few times for extra points on draft day and get him for pick 28 which is as good a bargain as is out there.

As for other players and positions of need getting moved. Things always shake out. Especially after final’s performance and teams start to feel like they need upgrades or changes. Sometimes you have to be willing to give something to get something. Or take on something undesirable to improve things. Buck conventional wisdom and take some chances that you’ve found something another team has missed.

Wouldn’t do a “bad trade” but thing swapping similar level players across positions ie Dursma/Zerk is the way of this offseason.

Trading Stringer or Laverde gets us a pick in the third or 4th round.
Delisting too many blokes gets us a lot of picks after 60 or in the SSP. Given the picks after 60 have a low percentage of even playing 50 games let alone being simply good players I personally have no issuse with the one year Menzie deal.
I think that Geulfi should have been 1 year as well.
Different story if we had picks inside the top 50.

Sure but I'd just to get rid of them. Obvious they won't make it, so biding time seems like a waste of other list spots. In two years time those players we could have drafted would be out of contract as well, but might have been an Roberts, Vigo or SEH and we'd have another good level prospect on the list.

Sure but I'd just to get rid of them. Obvious they won't make it, so biding time seems like a waste of other list spots. In two years time those players we could have drafted would be out of contract as well, but might have been an Roberts, Vigo or SEH and we'd have another good level prospect on the list.
The issue is how many do you take? At some stage you have to play the percentage and keep some spots for next year when you are picking more inside the top 50. Leaving Roberts out as he was not in the pick 60 plus then yes you can find a rookie or SSP or mid season draft spot that works out but you do not want to be taking too many or you are basically setting youself up to fail. The numbers I mentioned are not based on what you would call good players. Twenty percent chance of playing 50 games and that is for the back end of the ND. It gets worse from there. That is a one in five chance the bloke you pick will play 50 games.
Not sure I am running with those odds personally. Seems to be more of a Dodoro move.

You’re speaking a lot of sense. I just think we get on the front foot. Let’s see how this stuff shakes out after finals.

When it comes to matching Kako I would expect that we trade back from 28 a few times for extra points on draft day and get him for pick 28 which is as good a bargain as is out there.

As for other players and positions of need getting moved. Things always shake out. Especially after final’s performance and teams start to feel like they need upgrades or changes. Sometimes you have to be willing to give something to get something. Or take on something undesirable to improve things. Buck conventional wisdom and take some chances that you’ve found something another team has missed.

Wouldn’t do a “bad trade” but thing swapping similar level players across positions ie Dursma/Zerk is the way of this offseason.
You are still coming up with your own scenarios which is fine but the reason I say it will be a quiet period stands. We are not in a position to do a lot. I am sure they are on the front foot but I think the reality is going to be a lot different. They will be looking at a lot of options.

They could trade out of 28 and get a couple of later picks for sure. That is certainly on the cards.
I think 2025 and 2026 will be where we see more player movement. As they can set up better for it.As much as us supporters do not like it the 2020 rebuild start has not come off and we have botched a few long term contracts so it is going to be a few extra years on the build.

The issue is how many do you take? At some stage you have to play the percentage and keep some spots for next year when you are picking more inside the top 50. Leaving Roberts out as he was not in the pick 60 plus then yes you can find a rookie or SSP or mid season draft spot that works out but you do not want to be taking too many or you are basically setting youself up to fail. The numbers I mentioned are not based on what you would call good players. Twenty percent chance of playing 50 games and that is for the back end of the ND. It gets worse from there. That is a one in five chance the bloke you pick will play 50 games.
Not sure I am running with those odds personally. Seems to be more of a Dodoro move.

For mine it's a game of probability. We know these guys aren't up to scratch, there's a low possibility we can get someone who is. Take the possible gain vs the certain loss. Even if you want to keep the slots for mid season picks or SSP who train with us, our strike is probably 40% very good players.

The last time we took more than 4 in the national draft was 2016, so definitely not a Dodoro move. O'brien's Eagles have done it 3 times since then.

Last edited:
For mine it's a game of probability. We know these guys aren't up to scratch, there's a low possibility we can get someone who is. Take the possible gain vs the certain loss. Even if you want to keep the slots for mid season picks or SSP who train with us, our strike is probably 40% very good players.

The last time we took more than 4 in the national draft was 2016, so definitely not a Dodoro move. O'brien's Eagles have done it 3 times since then.
Your game does not include forward projections as far as the probability of getting better players long term is higher if we have more picks inside the top 50 next year.
We took 5 blokes in the 2020 ND.

Remove this Banner Ad

Recruiting AFL Trade & Free Agency XII - 💰💰💰

Remove this Banner Ad

Back