Recruiting AFL Trade & Free Agency XII - 💰💰💰

Remove this Banner Ad

He would have been in the group of 35-42 on the list. With elite attributes, one that can hardly be taught. Especially to a few of our blokes. A great depth player to develop but for some reason the buck stopped with him.
We wanted him. Scott did not just want him out the door. He gave approval to offer two years to keep him but the horse had bolted as they did not know Mitchell had already been talking two years and wing. It was more a list management break down than the coach not being super keen.

The only thing I will say is if we as a club where onto this a bit earlier it would not have happened. Scott did not absolutely want him gone but for some reason the message back from Dodoro was he will be good with a 1 year deal. Problem was Mitchell was already talkimg to him about two years and not looking to play him from half back. He was gone before we realised and the message from Scott was offer him two years then. It was another nail in the Dodoro coffin and similar to the Josh Jenkins fail a number of years back.
Adrian thought eveything was okay well past the point where it was not.
Despite the differences in opinion I agree with this part, so it kind of renders the debate obsolete.

So where did that perkins go?

Great question.

NFI- had a few things to work through that dinted his confidence.

Other teams game planning to stop him, lack of midfield craft being exposed, injury against Port while trying to chase their fast mids. Physically and mentally wore down.

That style of mid sometimes takes longer so there’s a chance with a good preseason he finds some form again.

We wanted him. Scott did not just want him out the door. He gave approval to offer two years to keep him but the horse had bolted as they did not know Mitchell had already been talking two years and wing. It was more a list management break down than the coach not being super keen.
You’re backing up my original post 👍

Great question.

NFI- had a few things to work through that dinted his confidence.

Other teams game planning to stop him, lack of midfield craft being exposed, injury against Port while trying to chase their fast mids. Physically and mentally wore down.

That style of mid sometimes takes longer so there’s a chance with a good preseason he finds some form again.
Opposition sides worked out his trick which was to block out and see ball get ball or tackle guy with ball. They simply started running him off the line so he was pretty much ineffective at either. The confidence went down hill as it went along.

Last edited:
I much preferred the "Ariel Steinberg over Luke Parker" era.

If Hobbs leaves, how about Knevitt for a fringe player?

Bailey Smith likely goes to Geelong meaning limited opportunities. Josh Sinn, Rosas and Knevitt would be a decent trade period.

Mistakes are mistakes.
I do not change my philosophy or n Mass based on other **** ups.
The process was a stuff up but the fact others where kept and he was let go doesn’t change my view that we need players with elite skills that are also better at defensive transition or have elite speed or elite endurance.
My view is they all have to be replaced over a certain period.
We could have made a play for stengle, hogan & didn't get hill deal done.
But tmp, gresh & tsatas are much better imo

If Hobbs leaves, how about Knevitt for a fringe player?

Bailey Smith likely goes to Geelong meaning limited opportunities. Josh Sinn, Rosas and Knevitt would be a decent trade period.

Given the Cats younger mids actually look the goods I suspect you may have to go further back in the pecking order in Clohesy or a player that’s half a generation older in Mitch Hardie.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We could have made a play for stengle, hogan & didn't get hill deal done.
But tmp, gresh & tsatas are much better imo
We did make a play for Stengle. Keep the sewage flowing.

He’s gutless and it’s an accurate reflection of the culture and standards of our club. He is the exact type of player that would not fire a shot when the heat turns up in finals footy.

Parish’s finals appearances since moving to the midfield:

2021 EF: 35 disposals, 1 goal, 4 tackles, 6 i50s, 11 clearances.

Parish’s finals appearances since moving to the midfield:

2021 EF: 35 disposals, 1 goal, 4 tackles, 6 i50s, 11 clearances.
107.44 minutes on ball. Standing by himself at stoppage and asking for the ball at every opportunity. We also lost clearances all round that game.
He knows how to find the ball but it doesn’t lead to us winning finals

He pushed up the ground a lot (hence the role change) but he only started on the wing a handful of times and definitely did not play the traditional wing role. He basically lined up at half back and did his own thing, literally had a licence to run anywhere he wanted.
Handful of times, very incorrect

Hopefully get the time to do the facts for you

What we need.
Elite skills
Endurance runners
Speed
Players with inside and outside game
Marking power ie even the small marking types
Crumbing small forwards
FF
Play maker’s at half back with speed and skill
Players who transition defensively better
What Mass gives.
Elite kicking.
Like I have said he is a good player. I would rather him than Cox on a wing.
The reason why I am not as unhappy as most is he ticks one box out of the six we need.
I would not say we are lucky that we have Martin and Roberts and El-Hawi.
Roberts and El-Hawi in particular were specifically targeted to fix an area. They also drafted Lual along the same lines.
The last draft we went after two real weak spots. Caddy forward and two possible running half backs.
Ergo, we need pretty much everything, and Mass ticked a lot of those boxes. Why we didn't persist with him and maximise what he's good at, I'll never know. Particularly given we stuck by veterans that were never part of the premiership #17 and had poor skills.

Many of us, me included, could see more upside in an elite kick like Mass than downside.

Said it before and I'll say it again. Peatling. If he's still available and looking around we should definitely offer a deal
Was about to say James Peatling

Our 2nd Rounder which isnt worth much to us, get it done

Surprised hes actually 186cm

Must get and would have the biggest soul and heart at the club

Remove this Banner Ad

Recruiting AFL Trade & Free Agency XII - 💰💰💰

Remove this Banner Ad

Back