Martin
Durham
Peatling
Newcombe
Mannagh
Humphries
Joe Richards

Amazing mature age pickups lately and the list is long

I know weve had a fair crack with Menzie, HBF from Richmond, Snelling types ect but keep going with them. They seem to play with a real chip on their shoulder and like every game matters

Almost throw a heap of darts at the mature age guys late

Martin
Durham
Peatling
Newcombe
Mannagh
Humphries
Joe Richards

Amazing mature age pickups lately and the list is long

I know weve had a fair crack with Menzie, HBF from Richmond, Snelling types ect but keep going with them. They seem to play with a real chip on their shoulder and like every game matters
I think it’s because they do it the hard way and aren’t gifted their opportunities.

For those tuning in late, here’s a summary of 378 of the last 400 posts on this thread…

Massimo
Despite people arguing like end of days over how good he would have been at Essendon, everyone actually agrees it would have better to keep him.

Parish
Everyone wants him to take the made up opportunity to go to Port except himself. And probably his wife and new born. And his manager who advised against it… because it’s made up.

Scott did not absolutely want him gone but for some reason the message back from Dodoro was he will be good with a 1 year deal.
the quote from mass himself was that he wasn't getting spoken to by list management. do we seriously think list management operates entirely without the coaches knowledge? clearly scott didn't rate him. he played him as sub or not at all.

the quote from mass himself was that he wasn't getting spoken to by list management. do we seriously think list management operates entirely without the coaches knowledge? clearly scott didn't rate him. he played him as sub or not at all.
If Scott did not rate him we would not have had a 1 year deal on the table. The problem was list management thought eveything was going to be okay at 1 year. The fact we where prepared to go to two even though it was too late showed we where still keen enough. It got fumbled because we just sat there thinking one year was going to be okay and we just let it sit on the table. Clearly Scott did rate him enough to say offer him a contract and then be on board with offering two years to keep him. If he did not then he would have been delisted.

I’d be giving the Fothergill Round medalist a shot.. likely Riley Bice or Sam Davidson a shot. Both positions we need some maturity in but young enough to develop

Bice is like a glove for us

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Bice seems like one of those players who matures into a decent player in the VFL. Was very skinny and not overly quick at under 18 level. Have not seen a massive amount of him in the VFL but he has developed body wise. Still only average pace wise but he does kick the ball well.

Davidson has a state combine invite so someone has some interest. Still not a lot of him but he has speed and he is a decent mark for his size.

Both would be the types you look at late or as rookies. If they do not get drafted I would have them training over summer.

All the Massimo stuff is very hindsight by alot of you saying it

I never heard anyone say he was out best or 2nd best kick last year? Feel free to prove me wrong that you did

Nah, nobody knew at all...

Screenshot_20240908-075643.png

Screenshot_20240908-075703.png

Screenshot_20240908-075927.png

There's another 20 posts if I could be arsed

Bice seems like one of those players who matures into a decent player in the VFL. Was very skinny and not overly quick at under 18 level. Have not seen a massive amount of him in the VFL but he has developed body wise. Still only average pace wise but he does kick the ball well.

Davidson has a state combine invite so someone has some interest. Still not a lot of him but he has speed and he is a decent mark for his size.

Both would be the types you look at late or as rookies. If they do not get drafted I would have them training over summer.
Very true with both, I really like what Sam Davidson could become. A Will Hayward type, if not another Langford perhaps. That hybrid tall forward who can do it at ground level.

Bice will go in the national draft imho

(Log in to remove this ad.)

All this talk of Shanhan and Armstrong; of the remaining teams in the finals only GWS have spent a top 10 pick on a KPP. We are up to 3 already. This is not the way to build a highly functional system.

All this talk of Shanhan and Armstrong; of the remaining teams in the finals only GWS have spent a top 10 pick on a KPP. We are up to 3 already. This is not the way to build a highly functional system.
to be fair, the very best key forwards seem to be taken in he first round

Daniher was pick 10
McDonald was pick 4

Could make that argument for KPDs though.

Last edited:
Charlie Dixon?

Daniher was taken at 10 🤷‍♂️

Apologies for the late edit.
Im not against trading in KPP once have a threshhold of mid and smalls talent has been acquired, like Cameron, like Lynch. But its demonstrated that their presence does not guarantee success and can be achieved far more often without.

Last edited:
Daniher was taken at 10 🤷‍♂️

Apologies for the late edit.

Cameron likewise.

Charlie Dixon?
None of these are playing for the clubs that drafted them, which was my point. They went to systems that spent the majority of all their building years on small talent and then were the final pieces at a new club. Throw Boyd, and Lynch into this as well.

They are finishing pieces not foundational.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Recruiting AFL Trade & Free Agency XII - 💰💰💰

Remove this Banner Ad

Back