Recruiting AFL Trade & Free Agency XII - 💰💰💰

Remove this Banner Ad

If we go and recruit more players externally, we really haven’t learnt a lot. We have been on a slow trajectory north with fatigue imho, setting in late hence the drop off. Continue to build through the youth and draft, if someone who fits the age / list profile wants to come consider it but we shouldnt actively be going after more C - graders. Hasn’t worked well for us in the past and set us back years.

If we go and recruit more players externally, we really haven’t learnt a lot. We have been on a slow trajectory north with fatigue imho, setting in late hence the drop off. Continue to build through the youth and draft, if someone who fits the age / list profile wants to come consider it but we shouldnt actively be going after more C - graders. Hasn’t worked well for us in the past and set us back years.
While I agree with most of what you’re saying, I think we should also be looking for players that are “moneyball” that we could use that might not be getting a game at their current clubs. Massimo would be considered a c grader when recruited for hawthorn for example. Who’s the Massimo for another club that could fit our system.
Are there any clubs flush with rebounding flankers/third talls? Any with an abundance of small forwards?

I would love for Essendon to select three players inside the top 20. I think only Langford gets us that kind of return who’s expendable.

Malcolm Rosas turns 24 next year and has plenty of good football left in him and exactly the type of small forward we need. Will be a bargain as well. Jaxon Prior from Brissy has shown a bit as a half back flanker but can't get a game at 23. Alex Davies from Gold Coast as a 193 cm inside mid at 22. We should be targeting these types of players.

No big targets that costs us picks in the top 40.

If we can bring in some guys who fill needs I am okay with it.

No big targets that costs us picks in the top 40.

If we can bring in some guys who fill needs I am okay with it.

From memory we've got 6(?) list changes atm?

Heppell, Kelly, Baldwin (pending trial), Wanganeen, Hunter, Hind

With likely our draft hand being; Our 1st, Kako bid-match, then maybe some later picks.

Could easily bring in 2 - 3 'mature' guys that are in the 22 - 25 range and still be adding some good young draft talent. Rosas an obvious position of need, right age, and should be fairly cheap.

From memory we've got 6(?) list changes atm?

Heppell, Kelly, Baldwin (pending trial), Wanganeen, Hunter, Hind

With likely our draft hand being; Our 1st, Kako bid-match, then maybe some later picks.

Could easily bring in 2 - 3 'mature' guys that are in the 22 - 25 range and still be adding some good young draft talent. Rosas an obvious position of need, right age, and should be fairly cheap.
5. El Hawli fills a spot.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

According to Cal, Stringer is telling people he's played his last game for us. Laverde has interest from the Blues and Cats.

Finally moving players on it seems?

His best was really good but his worst was really bad i get the argument his kicked 42 goals but at the same time he really unbalances that forward line we can now play a small in his place

as for Lav depth at best

as frustrating as lavz is to watch play, he's a solid player to have purely as depth, if only for the sake of him not getting injured.
1726021340813.png

he's missed around 2-3 games per year (this year it was because he was dropped, as opposed to injury). i'm like 75-25 trading to keeping him bc when he is on (like we saw in a game or two this season), taking the game on etc, he's very good, but his floor is like, c grade local football stuff.

as frustrating as lavz is to watch play, he's a solid player to have purely as depth, if only for the sake of him not getting injured.
View attachment 2107467

he's missed around 2-3 games per year (this year it was because he was dropped, as opposed to injury). i'm like 75-25 trading to keeping him bc when he is on (like we saw in a game or two this season), taking the game on etc, he's very good, but his floor is like, c grade local football stuff.
Problem keeping him as depth is the premiership sides have A/B+ grade players as depth.

Anybody can provice C grade depth. Move on IMO.

Problem keeping him as depth is the premiership sides have A/B+ grade players as depth.

exactly, it's why i'm mostly fine with it

Name me the A/B+ players currently acting as depth in the AFL.

Laverde is perfectly fine as a depth player. The problem was that we were forced to use him all the time. I would have liked Hayes to be given a go but With Reid/Ridley/Baldwin all injured we were pretty thin.

Not against him moving at all but would also be fine with him playing 4-8 games a year as a depth player should.

Teams aim for what 300 goals for the season.

Say Langford gets 50. And non forwards get 100. That’s 150 goals split around 6 forwards which is about a goal a game.

Can Caddy, Draper, Gresham, Kako, Perkins + Guelfi (or whoever) surely you’d expect to be able to get 6 goals a game combined. Or 1 each.

I see the reasons the club would be willing to let Stringer go, but his 30-40 goals a year will be hard to replace from the current list.
I agree that it's hard to get a 40 goal forward.

BUT, our forward line structure was absolute dog water with him in it. We were way too tall. One of the main reasons we get rebounded against easily is we're too tall, and another reason our inside 50 conversion was so bad was because we're too tall. There isn't enough room for Langford & Stringer in the same forward line

Remove this Banner Ad

Recruiting AFL Trade & Free Agency XII - 💰💰💰

Remove this Banner Ad

Back